Speculation: Coyotes to Vegas, Toronto to get second team

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If Arazona moves to Toronto instead, then we get to watch Strome.

Interesting dynamic with McDavid vs. Eichel and Strome vs. Marner where Strome and Marner are playing the same city and Eichel not far away.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Toronto deserves a second team more than anyone, it's a badly under-served market. How many here attend more than 10 NHL games per year? When I lived in Toronto I attended more NHL games at other arenas than at the ACC. Stick a team at Downsview or Vaughan where it's more accessible to people in the burbs (and still served by the subway) and boom, another cash cow for the NHL.

The fact that NYC has three teams and LA has two while the largest hockey market in the world only has one is ludicrous.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd love to see another team in Toronto. Why not? But, despite how lucrative it would be for the NHL, I can't see the league doing it. Besides, I thought the idea was to add two teams to the west to even out the conferences.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Ew. I'd rather see a new team anywhere BUT Toronto. They should have just sold the yotes to Jim Balsillie and move it to Hamilton.

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Toronto deserves a second team more than anyone, it's a badly under-served market. How many here attend more than 10 NHL games per year? When I lived in Toronto I attended more NHL games at other arenas than at the ACC. Stick a team at Downsview or Vaughan where it's more accessible to people in the burbs (and still served by the subway) and boom, another cash cow for the NHL.

The fact that NYC has three teams and LA has two while the largest hockey market in the world only has one is ludicrous.

Bingo. Put it at Downsview Park. It's on the subway line, it also has it's own GO Station and intersects the biggest east/west highway (401) and biggest north/south highway (400) for driving in the city. So many convenient options to get there.

To satisfy the Leafs, call them "Ontario" and put them in the Central Division/Western Conference, put Seattle in the Pacific, LV takes over Arizona's spot and we will have real choice.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A second team in Toronto would just be a second team in Toronto.

The world didn't stop spinning when they expanded to12 teams.

Even back then some stuck in the past people were upset.

Evolve or die you old fuddy duddies.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I never understood the big deal with putting a 2nd team in Toronto.

Just do it already. Wouldn't affect my allegiance in any way in fact I don't think it would affect the Leafs at all.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don't care for a second team. Not because of jealousy, or I think it won't be viable, I just think Quebec or Hamilton should get a crack first before we get a second team. :dunno:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't care for a second team. Not because of jealousy, or I think it won't be viable, I just think Quebec or Hamilton should get a crack first before we get a second team. :dunno:

i think Hamilton having it is the "Toronto" in question. I think they are considering anything Golden-Horseshoe-y "Toronto 2" (just like anything in the New York Area is ... well New York. Minus. you know. Buffalo and New Jersey).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Vegas is getting the Yokes. I have a feeling Phil will be heading there bc like it or not, Phil can be market as a true star in the league.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Leafs got McDavid in he lottery, and there is another team in Toronto, people will start wondering did NHL rigged the draft.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Rogers gets the new franchise and Bell gets Rogers' share of the Leafs. This is a short window of opportunity in Toronto to do it with the joint ownership. It'll be the NHL's thank you to Rogers for the lucrative television deal.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Quebec City deserves a team , I don't know why they fight giving them their franchise back it seems

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Bettman and Daly would be the worst poker players ever. Every time they have denied a big rumor like this, it has happened. Another team in the GTA sounds viable but just doesn't make sense (I'm not on board for that idea) because Rogers owns all the rights in the area. Bring back the Nordiques, put an expansion in Vegas and Seattle/Portland and done.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With its history with the NHL it would be nice for Hamilton to be the location of a second franchise but there is too much money in and around Toronto. Mississauga, North York, Richmond Hill or Markham are all better locales for proximity to households with the most disposable income.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad