Speculation: Coyotes to Vegas, Toronto to get second team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Quebec City deserves a team , I don't know why they fight giving them their franchise back it seems

Fickle fans. If not doing amazing they don't go anymore. Toronto would be the safe bet. Probably 1/3 of the Habs fans that went to the games during the bad years were from Ontariaaa originally.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I still see no Toronto group that would pay 500mm for an expansion team, build a rink 400mm, buy the land 200mm and pay the Leafs 250mm. That is a pretty big investment. There is no doubt Toronto could support a team but at that entry fee, it would be a disaster and very poor investment.

Quebec makes so much more sense, the rink is built, the ownership is in place and their start-up cost is 500mm.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I still see no Toronto group that would pay 500mm for an expansion team, build a rink 400mm, buy the land 200mm and pay the Leafs 250mm. That is a pretty big investment. There is no doubt Toronto could support a team but at that entry fee, it would be a disaster and very poor investment.

Quebec makes so much more sense, the rink is built, the ownership is in place and their start-up cost is 500mm.

Rogers.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
The 2nd Toronto team could be in Markham according to the interview on Leafs Lunch yesterday and with CEO of GTA Sports & Entertainment. They are planning to build a huge arena here and if it's by the unionville Go station I might be a fan since I live 5min walking distance lol

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
The 2nd Toronto team could be in Markham according to the interview on Leafs Lunch yesterday and with CEO of GTA Sports & Entertainment. They are planning to build a huge arena here and if it's by the unionville Go station I might be a fan since I live 5min walking distance lol

That rink and pipe dream died at City Council 2 years ago.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs wouldn't get paid any money.

They don't have territorial rights. They just have 1 of the 30 votes.

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
The Leafs wouldn't get paid any money.

They don't have territorial rights. They just have 1 of the 30 votes.

Thats wrong, Daly has stated they would be entitled to territorial fees. The fact they have territorial rights (all teams do) has nothing to do with the vote for expansion. You are correct they have only 1 vote but they would get paid handsomely. Territorial fees for Anaheim Ducks, NJ Devils and NYI range for 33 to as high as 66% of the expansion fee. See below:

According to the league’s constitution, those territorial rights could not be clearer. In fact, Section 4.3 of the league’s constitution states that, “No other member of the League shall be permitted to play games (except regularly scheduled League games with the home club) in the home territory of a member without the latter member’s consent. No franchise shall be granted for a home territory within the home territory of a member, without the written consent of such member.”

Preceding that section, the constitution states that, “Any admission of new members with franchises to operate in any additional cities or boroughs shall be subject to the provisions of Section 4.3.” And it goes on to define a home territory as follows: “Home territory with respect to any member, means each member club shall have exclusive territorial rights in the city in which it is located and within 50 miles of that city’s corporate limits.”

Last edited:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
This

Rogers gets the new franchise and Bell gets Rogers' share of the Leafs. This is a short window of opportunity in Toronto to do it with the joint ownership. It'll be the NHL's thank you to Rogers for the lucrative television deal.

This has always made the most sense. Add in the new team then divide up MLSE between the 2 rivals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad