Rumor: Coyotes to purchase AHL franchise, move team to Prescott Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I didn't mean what happened as in where did they go. I meant what happened as in why did they leave. What happened?

Couldn't agree on a new lease with the arena owners/operators. Reportedly centered around the lease costs Houston wanted to charge. There were paying close to $1m/year and Houston wanted to up it on a new deal. So the Wild moved their franchise to Des Moine where they're paying something less then $500k/year.

They reportedly explored other arena options in Houston as well but didn't agree on a suitable alternate location.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wouldn't mind seeing Houston get an NHL expansion franchise. It's perfect geographically. Houston in the Central and Seattle in the Pacific.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I didn't mean what happened as in where did they go. I meant what happened as in why did they leave. What happened?
Owners of the arena didn't want the AHL team there anymore. They gave the Aeros a ridiculous lease offer knowing they'd reject it. The arena was looking to charge the AHL team $42,500 per game by comparison Portland pays $1,000 per game.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
If the Mutts ever DO buy an AHL franchise, then it had better be renamed the Roadrunners.

Well if its in Tucson they should bring back the Gila Monsters

wchl_gila.gif

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
How do I put this nicely... The article is pure bunk. Fantasy.

No franchise has been sold or transferred. The Coyotes have not purchase an AHL franchise. If one had been purchased we would have known publicly because not only does any sale need AHL Board of Governor approval, it likely would have needed some sort of municipality approval because it’s a transfer of a lease from one entity to another even if only for one season, which means it would be public record.

This article like past articles from this particular blog has continually attempted to tie what’s going on in the CHL with what is going to eventually happen in the AHL and its simply not true. All this misinformation serves no one other than to send fans into a frenzy for unwarranted reasons. It’s unprofessional. When there is news of an AHL Pacific Division you’ll hear from the NHL markets first, AHL teams that have been sold second and the AHL third.

When the Coyotes are ready to purchase a franchise its likely to go to Tucson.

That may be but this rumor (Prescott Franchise moving to the AHL...not the Coyotes purchasing the team) has been roaming around the campfire for sometime now.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
That may be but this rumor (Prescott Franchise moving to the AHL...not the Coyotes purchasing the team) has been roaming around the campfire for sometime now.

A rumor might be too nice for what I'd call it... And, yes I've heard the same talk that if the Coyotes might move its affiliation to Prescott Valley, BUT! That's only if they can purchase an AHL franchise and honestly I've been told that if the ownership was to purchase a team they like Tucson for various economic reasons. People need to understand that the Prescott franchise is D.O.A. They are getting promoted to the AHL as some people would like to believe.

I spoke with Pirates' COO Brad Church who is a member of the AHL Board of Governors. Here is a series of quotes from him.

"There’s been no sale or transfers of any franchise nor has any sale or transfer of a franchise been brought to the board of governors for review or approval. Nothing," said Pirates COO Brad Church.

He added, "There has been no talk of a west coast division since the annual meeting in Hilton Head. Zero. Nothing has been brought to us to look at or even consider. No American Hockey League franchise have been bought, sold, transferred, loaned, leased, borrowed, bartered. Nothing. I am not sure how clear I can make myself on this topic."

He added when I asked him about teams available on the market for sale...

"I’m not even sure if there’s an American Hockey League franchise for sale at the moment. The BoG is not aware of anything for sale. We are not for sale."

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
hmm I take that as they are building from the ground up! Expansion.:yo:

I am just joking..of course.

No purchase today..but maybe in the future. Does the AHL need to know about letter of intent?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I wonder if the AHL doesn't cooperate that eventually 5 to 8 western NHL teams could start their own west coast based league. It would save them millions in acquisition cost and not have to deal with inheriting the liabilities, leases, and debts of an existing franchise. Plus they could structure the league anyway they choose without have to deal with a third party governing board.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Emailed the AHL looking for comment. Heard back from AHL VP of Communications Jason Chaimovitch "It (the article) is 100 percent inaccurate. No franchise purchases have taken place. There is nothing new to report on any potential "western division".

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I wonder if the AHL doesn't cooperate that eventually 5 to 8 western NHL teams could start their own west coast based league. It would save them millions in acquisition cost and not have to deal with inheriting the liabilities, leases, and debts of an existing franchise. Plus they could structure the league anyway they choose without have to deal with a third party governing board.

This would be optimal. Minor league hockey can be so unstable. It would make a lot of sense to have leagues that stick to a geographical location. Minor league hockey is fun and it does not have to be called AHL to be enjoyed.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Emailed the AHL looking for comment. Heard back from AHL VP of Communications Jason Chaimovitch "It (the article) is 100 percent inaccurate. No franchise purchases have taken place. There is nothing new to report on any potential "western division".

Yeah, but what about a letter of intent? A NHL team saying we intend to buy your AHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad