Coyotes/Tippett's Development of Forward Prospects.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The tough love approach is necessary when the player essentially forces the team to turn him pro when he's not ready handle the NHL after previously deciding to go the NCAA route

I guess I don't get where it makes sense to give credit to Tippett for Turris' success in Ottawa. Bouncing him around the lineup (including out of it) somehow made him a better player? It's the same with Boedker. All those nights on the 4th line really turned him into a great two way player, right? Or was it all those nights on the 4th line hurt his offensive development, and he was already a good 2 way player when he entered the league?

Domi will be the acid test. He is, by all indications, a one way type player. We will see how great of a developer Tippett is if Domi comes in and doesn't produce right away.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I guess I don't get where it makes sense to give credit to Tippett for Turris' success in Ottawa. Bouncing him around the lineup (including out of it) somehow made him a better player? It's the same with Boedker. All those nights on the 4th line really turned him into a great two way player, right? Or was it all those nights on the 4th line hurt his offensive development, and he was already a good 2 way player when he entered the league?

Domi will be the acid test. He is, by all indications, a one way type player. We will see how great of a developer Tippett is if Domi comes in and doesn't produce right away.

Turris always had the skill. Lacked size and had to be protected to maximize his effectiveness; the same "criticism" Tippett gets for the 22-25 mins per night of sheltered minutes he gives Yandle.

Lots of players have talent. Players like Mueller and Wolski had talent.

What Mueller/Wolski lacked was a willingness to play in all three zones. That's why today they are no longer in the league. Tippett insisted on two way play from Turris and Turris is a better player today because of that ability. If he hadn't accepted that, Turris may have found himself out of the league by the time of his 3rd contract.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

I wasn't saying Tippett was responsible for Turris' success in Ottawa, I was more trying he wasn't responsible for Turris' failure in Phoenix. Turris pressuring the team to turn him pro, and Gretzky trying to play him too young was likely far more damaging than Tippett bouncing him from line to line or assigning him to San Antonio.

And you are absolutely correct, Domi will make an excellent litmus test to see how Tippett is going to develop forward prospects from here on out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Turris always had the skill. Lacked size and had to be protected to maximize his effectiveness; the same "criticism" Tippett gets for the 22-25 mins per night of sheltered minutes he gives Yandle.

Yandle is an example of a bargain with the devil. You take what you gain in exchange for exposing yourself to what he takes away from the team. It's a net positive transaction, otherwise he'd have been traded.

They produced and thrived on teams away from Tippett. It's worth mentioning. Wolski was a bad teammate and Mueller got his brains scrambled, largely insulating Tippett from any potential criticism. Not every team is dogmatic about two way play. You certainly seem comfortable with sheltering Yandle and not expecting much out of him in his own zone. We do that for Ribeiro on a nightly basis. Why can't talented offensive players do that here? Is it because "the AHL is for development" as Tip puts it?

No one ever became an NHL regular in the AHL. You can lay the groundwork but you need a good environment at the next level. Quick hooks and garbage minutes do not develop players.

Tippett insisted on two way play from Turris and Turris is a better player today because of that ability.

Develop two way play by playing garbage minutes with Biz, Belanger, all sorts of 3/4 misfits? Come on. The only regulars who got less TOI than him were Biz, Ebbett, and Boedker, funnily enough. The best thing to ever happen to Turris was spending nearly a full season in the AHL away from Tippett.

If he hadn't accepted that, Turris may have found himself out of the league by the time of his 3rd contract.

Really hbk? It's not like he sat out of the NHL, having proved very little, and teams called about him or anything. He got a warm, cushy environment in Ottawa. It let him develop as a player as he would have in a normal environment. Dave Tippett does not provide a normal development environment. It's part of his philosophy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Had the need to trade Turris never arisen, the Coyotes never would have signed Ribeiro, and his salary could have been used to bring in a scoring wing or to plug any number of other holes. The second rounder that was used to acquire Vermette could have just been a different one, or a different combination of picks.

I think Maloney did a swell job of asset management given the circumstances, but that's assuming the circumstances themselves were not his fault. You can look at any one of Wheeler, Mueller and Turris and figure it was just a weird fluke or a player with no character, but when all three happened in such a short span (not to mention a couple contract disputes with Boedker now, about which who knows), that's a lot of smoke. Maybe it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but I don't think that's the most likely explanation.

That said, that's hardly a development issue, and certainly not something that falls on Tippett's shoulders. The only high skill forwards he's really had a crack at are Boedker (who is turning into a very dangerous two-way forward) and Turris (who has all but supplanted Jason Spezza as the top center in Ottawa). I don't see any evidence of him ruining anybody.

Maloney offered Wheeler the maximum number of dollars and years allowable under the CBA at that time. It was actually more than Boston was allowed to offer. What more could Maloney have offered?

Before asking for a trade, Peter Mueller admitted to his bosses that he was considering leaving professional hockey all together to become a priest or minister or whatever. Kid is a nut.

The Turris thing is what it is. That one we can debate, sure. I just don't like using Mueller or ESPECIALLY Wheeler to try to establish pattern.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yandle is an example of a bargain with the devil. You take what you gain in exchange for exposing yourself to what he takes away from the team. It's a net positive transaction, otherwise he'd have been traded.

They produced and thrived on teams away from Tippett. It's worth mentioning. Wolski was a bad teammate and Mueller got his brains scrambled, largely insulating Tippett from any potential criticism. Not every team is dogmatic about two way play. You certainly seem comfortable with sheltering Yandle and not expecting much out of him in his own zone. We do that for Ribeiro on a nightly basis. Why can't talented offensive players do that here? Is it because "the AHL is for development" as Tip puts it?

No one ever became an NHL regular in the AHL. You can lay the groundwork but you need a good environment at the next level. Quick hooks and garbage minutes do not develop players.

Develop two way play by playing garbage minutes with Biz, Belanger, all sorts of 3/4 misfits? Come on. The only regulars who got less TOI than him were Biz, Ebbett, and Boedker, funnily enough. The best thing to ever happen to Turris was spending nearly a full season in the AHL away from Tippett.

Really hbk? It's not like he sat out of the NHL, having proved very little, and teams called about him or anything. He got a warm, cushy environment in Ottawa. It let him develop as a player as he would have in a normal environment. Dave Tippett does not provide a normal development environment. It's part of his philosophy.

Yandle is an elite player when it comes to transition. We live with his 20-25 minutes per night because there is a net benefit. Yandle's actually performed better than I would have ever thought. I had him as a #3 guy when he first made the team but when a player finishes 5th, 14th, and 12th in the last three Norris votes I decided he was worth some respect and a nod as the top pairing D he has truly become. Keep in mind nobody has suggested more Yandle moves in the past two years than yours truly.

I think we are all in agreement the development path of Turris was not to his benefit. You say the blame goes to Tippett, I make the claim merely that Turris deserves to shoulder a good portion of the blame as well. Maloney gets tied into this as well as he's the one who demoted Turris in the first place.

Could Tippett and Maloney had made it more cushy for Turris? I think I need your interpretation of the word "cushy" because if you mean "easy" then I disagree. Tippet and Maloney wanted Turris and any player on the team to earn their minutes. Tippett had to "protect" his usage by matching him up against opposition lines that wouldn't eat him alive. Turris had issues with being able to create time and space for himself and this is/was not a roster that was flushed with much for skill past the Vrbata/Hanzal/Whitney line. Turris played periodically with Doan but for the most part this has been a lineup of slugs, hasbeens, and no talent never were's. Maybe I'm missing someone but for the most part our roster has been skill deprived. If your point is that our roster lacked appropriate linemates for Turris then I agree. We have been largely devoid of skill since the Tkachuk/Roenick years.

For all the criticism Tippett and Maloney receive on Turris, I would argue that they did set him up to be successful. Before his holdout he had to compete with Miele, Gordon, and Kekalainen for a top 6 C position. Langkow came into play as they made a panic move to replace Turris when he decided that he didn't want a part of this franchise anymore. It was Turris's decision to derail that plan. Not Tippett's btw.

In an ideal world, I would have preferred another year of NCAA followed by 2 years minimum at the AHL level. Had that been allowed to occur I think Turris would still be a Coyote. That being said after hearing the Treliving and numerous Maloney interviews on what was going on behind the scenes I can't say that I'm upset he's gone.

Last edited:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I guess we will know one way or another with Max Domi.

Is there any chance he will spend an overage year with London?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Zero. He's had 15 or so 4 point games. Nothing to prove at that level. Domi also works out with Gary Roberts. He's shockingly strong.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

As in season after next? I seriously doubt that. He won't even spend next season there, I'm sure. He's going to put up over one hundred points and have his third crack at the Memorial Cup. What is left to prove?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well he can't play in the AHL can he? So he's stuck in our roster next year. I guess Tippet will be forced to play him.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Well he can't play in the AHL can he? So he's stuck in our roster next year. I guess Tippet will be forced to play him.

I believe under the transfer agreeemt, next season will be London or Phoenix. The year after that he is eligible to play in the AHL or he could spend an overage year in junior, but as others have said above, he will have nothing left to prove at the junior level by that point.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I will cry if Domi is scratched as much as Rundblad.

Zero. He's had 15 or so 4 point games. Nothing to prove at that level. Domi also works out with Gary Roberts. He's shockingly strong.

Domi is not Rundblad. For one it takes defenseman a lot longer to become efficient in the NHL.

Domi will play here next year. He wont make an impact right away but should be solid. He has high end talent.

Domi is not "shockingly strong" if you know his bloodlines. His dad was a beast on skates for a man of short stature.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't want to go digging through those countless threads, but I really felt that the Sens made a great move there and that Turris was being mishandled in Phoenix.

Reminds me of the mishandling of Myers after his breakout. Had it not been for a complete overhaul of management in Buffalo I believe things would have worked out in a similar fashion for Buffalo.

I'm not a fan of either team, but I thought then and I think now that the Sens took advantage of a situation that Phoenix management screwed up badly. IMO.

You don't need to go through countless threads. Just go look at the "Turris to Ottawa" trade thread and you'll find more than enough to substantiate those claims.

For those that are wondering what Turris learned in Phoenix that I believe made him successful in Ottawa I will point to two things: His play without the puck and his faceoffs. Of course I can't be certain that TippetPhoenix taught him those, the only person that knows is Kyle Turris. What I can say is that I saw him in BC and I saw him in Ottawa and he certainly learned it somewhere in between.

To me it's a matter of "glass half open vs. glass half full" perspectives.

1. If you think The glass is half empty you probably saw A) Turris getting moved around the lineup and B) Turris sucking on purpose.

2. If you're a glass half full kind of guy you might say that A) The coach tried to find him wingers that he had chemistry with and B) Turris was still trying to find a role on the team after the holdout and focused on a winning philosophy rather than looking for points.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
Here are a few things we know.

1. The first year or two that Tippett was here he did not know how long he would be here, how long the Coyotes would be in phoenix, or who would be on the team. Its his job to win games. I am among those who felt that he put Boedker in losing situations by limiting their ice time and putting them with line mates that made it almost impossible to be productive but at that point he may have had a different perspective. Its not beyond reason to think that his actions alienated young players like Boedker and Turris.

2. There were several years where the Coyotes drafted defense first. We haven't had a top level forward coming through the system for him to screw up or elevate. We will find out soon with Samuelsson and Domi.

3. I could be wrong but as far as I know Tippett has never taken a player with less than elite skills and turned him into a prolific scorer.

So he doesn't turn players into great offensive players, he hasn't had any elite players to work with and screw up recently, and he may have a more long term view on players coming through the system now.

Will he take a different approach his next opportunity? I doubt it. He can say players need to pay their dues and earn their ice time etc but when you've got a skilled player like Turris playing 6 minutes a night with Biz as his winger whose fault is it when the player quits on the coach? Part of being a coach is knowing how to handle your players. Yeah Turris was probably an immature ***** but how many people here will be happy to see Domi on the 4th line with Chip and Biz getting 4-8 minutes of ice time every second/third game?

Feb 12, 2003
Here are a few things we know.

1. The first year or two that Tippett was here he did not know how long he would be here, how long the Coyotes would be in phoenix, or who would be on the team. Its his job to win games. I am among those who felt that he put Boedker in losing situations by limiting their ice time and putting them with line mates that made it almost impossible to be productive but at that point he may have had a different perspective. Its not beyond reason to think that his actions alienated young players like Boedker and Turris.

2. There were several years where the Coyotes drafted defense first. We haven't had a top level forward coming through the system for him to screw up or elevate. We will find out soon with Samuelsson and Domi.

3. I could be wrong but as far as I know Tippett has never taken a player with less than elite skills and turned him into a prolific scorer.

So he doesn't turn players into great offensive players, he hasn't had any elite players to work with and screw up recently, and he may have a more long term view on players coming through the system now.

Will he take a different approach his next opportunity? I doubt it. He can say players need to pay their dues and earn their ice time etc but when you've got a skilled player like Turris playing 6 minutes a night with Biz as his winger whose fault is it when the player quits on the coach? Part of being a coach is knowing how to handle your players. Yeah Turris was probably an immature ***** but how many people here will be happy to see Domi on the 4th line with Chip and Biz getting 4-8 minutes of ice time every second/third game?
Great post, it matches how I feel.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

What Mueller/Wolski lacked was a willingness to play in all three zones. That's why today they are no longer in the league. Tippett insisted on two way play from Turris and Turris is a better player today because of that ability. If he hadn't accepted that, Turris may have found himself out of the league by the time of his 3rd contract.

While your points on playing in all three zones are valid you simply cant compare the talents of Turris to Mueller and particularily Wolski. Turris has much more talent then those two and to be fair to Mueller his resume is imcomplete due to concussions. That could have been a terrible trade for the Yotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad