Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Submit Proposal to Tempe for a new arena (UPD: Proposal details out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rio Solado and Priest Dr is where. Even as someone who lives a 10 minute walk away from GRA, I gotta admit that’s a great location

I'm not seeing enough open land around there unless Tempe moves their maintenance yard and that waste depot gets paved over.

Those that live in AZ what do u think? Better than Glendale?

Don't think so unless they get can clear a bunch of land and get a lot of development into a relatively narrow corridor. It's less ideal than the original location near Tempe Marketplace.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm not seeing enough open land around there unless Tempe moves their maintenance yard and that waste depot gets paved over.

Don't think so unless they get can clear a bunch of land and get a lot of development into a relatively narrow corridor. It's less ideal than the original location near Tempe Marketplace.

I mentioned this in the lounge thread. That's exactly where it is, and it would involve rehabilitating that maintenance yard. They've apparently been talking about it with Tempe for 2 years.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
There was word at the beginning of the year that Tempe was going to extent the lake west and try and facilitate more build on the water like the state farm/carvana buildings. My guess they are looking at possibly putting the new arena on the waters edge.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Cliffs..... (c/p from the article)

- The land, on the southern banks of the dry Salt River just west of Tempe Town Lake, currently houses the city’s public works and compost yard (off Priest Drive). The land is viewed as prime real estate in the center of metro Phoenix, but would require environmental remediation.

-Private investors would fund the arena and commercial space, a source said.'

-Tempe would be on the hook for the multi-million dollar cost to remediate the land and add infrastructure. A city report put that cost at $70 million but it is unclear if that would include infrastructure costs. The city would cover those costs by creating a special taxing district to collect sales taxes on purchases within the sports and entertainment development, a source said.

- Sources in Tempe said there is council support for a deal, but not all council members are sold on the idea.

So the city spends $70 million to reclaim the land. Uses special taxing district to recover costs which could bring in up to $230 million.

Arena and entertainment district is privately financed.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
- The land on southern banks of the dry Salt River just west of Tempe Town Lake

- Tempe expected to request proposals on Thursday to attract developers for arena and entertainment cente

- Would be funded by private investors, per sources

- Meruelo is expected to submit proposal for arena and dining/shopping complex

- Sources say the contract could be awarded by end of year

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Morgan saying not so fast. But this is good news regardless.

Tempe is likely going to rehab the land regardless. Only question is if AM can secure enough financing for an arena to go in there. Same as always.

Reactions: TheLegend

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
For sure. We could see a massive building going up in the area, and surprise! Spirit Halloween super store

They only use old buildings they can rent cheap. After all the "experts" are finally correct about them moving out of an outdated Glendale arena after like 25 years of "the franchise can't make it in Arizona if it stays in Glendale", it will be the Gila River Spirt Halloween store with a cool Kachina Pumkin on the sign. Don Maloney will randomly jump out and facepalm you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad