Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Michael Stone to 1 year, $4M deal

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I dunno... he will be a free agent next summer

He will be, but I don't get the same vibe from Stone that I do from Rieder and Boedker.

This contract was a tough one due to major knee surgery. He deserved more than Murphy, but we don't know if he'll ever be the same.

I like this as a show me deal.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hmm. Didn't Chayka just say he still wanted to upgrade the D? Maybe this is a contract that allows Stone to be traded (with other assets for Barrie?)

As it stands...

OEL - Murphy
Gogo - Stone
KConn - Schenn

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hmm. Didn't Chayka just say he still wanted to upgrade the D? Maybe this is a contract that allows Stone to be traded (with other assets for Barrie?)

As it stands...

OEL - Murphy
Gogo - Stone
KConn - Schenn

I can see Stone wanting more money and more term. With his injury, the Coyotes likely would give him some term, but maybe not enough term or at the dollars Stone would have wanted. A one year deal is dangerous for Stone if he does not recover and play well. 2 years at less average money would have protected his down side if he is not as good.

We still can trade him, extend him in January, or before the season is over sign him, trade him at the TDL. This signing is smarter and safer for the Coyotes than it is for Stone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can see Stone wanting more money and more term. With his injury, the Coyotes likely would give him some term, but maybe not enough term or at the dollars Stone would have wanted. A one year deal is dangerous for Stone if he does not recover and play well. 2 years at less average money would have protected his down side if he is not as good.

We still can trade him, extend him in January, or before the season is over sign him, trade him at the TDL. This signing is smarter and safer for the Coyotes than it is for Stone.

I agree, but I think 4mil is also a bit high. I thought he would get 3.5-3.8 and a longer term. I guess there must be some concern about his injury.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, but I think 4mil is also a bit high. I thought he would get 3.5-3.8 and a longer term. I guess there must be some concern about his injury.

I think 4 mill is fair. Even if it were a bit high (250K maybe?), this is where as an organization you pay a bit more for one year when dealing with a player that his been here his entire career and is coming off an injury. If he was not injured and his production continued those last few games, Stone would get term and more dollars than Murphy, maybe 4.5-5 mill. Top 4 RHD's are the hottest commodity in the NHL, so guys near UFA will get paid.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I am a little disappointed in this, but I am also speculating on how bad his injury is. If there are no ill effects, then this is about as fair of a payment as you can get, maybe a little more than what I was hoping.

I thought a 2 year deal for $6.5-7.0 M total would have been fine and given some rope to expose him for expansion draft or see how the injury plays out and re-explore a longer term deal next offseason. We still have the opportunity to do just that, but would have preferred some protection for a deal that is more than one year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think 4 mill is fair. Even if it were a bit high (250K maybe?), this is where as an organization you pay a bit more for one year when dealing with a player that his been here his entire career and is coming off an injury. If he was not injured and his production continued those last few games, Stone would get term and more dollars than Murphy, maybe 4.5-5 mill. Top 4 RHD's are the hottest commodity in the NHL, so guys near UFA will get paid.

Yup. I sure hope Stone can come back and play at the same level previous to his injury. I really like what he brings.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He shouldn't be making more than Murphy given that Murphy has been the better player for the last two years.

Murphy has not been better than Stone the last 2 years. Murphy was getting top pairing minutes because he is a better fit with OEL than Stone. If Stone was not injured this year, and if Stone and Murphy were both UFA's, Stone would get paid more. Today, Stone and Murphy are both second pairing D, with Stone having more value because of way better production(injury excluded).

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Give him a couple months after he comes back to see how he looks post-injury, then start talking about an extension. If it's not promising by the deadline, ship him out. He's replaceable.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
A bit pricey for me, but then I'm not a fan of his, so I'll just say it's palatable

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
By signing a new contact before then.

Here's why I don't think that's likely.
1. Stone returns from injury, plays amazeballs and by the time contract talks are allowed to begin he's now an insanely hot commodity and will see huge dollars at UFA. Even if we ultimately want to sign him in the summer, Stone skipping out on his first chance to test the market strikes me as unlikely in the scenario where he's playing well. If nothing else he loses the chance to get other teams to bid up the Coyotes offer.

2. Stone returns from injury and is mediocre through January. Now do you even want to sign him to a long term contract? Remember we already have Murphy and GoGo on term already and OEL will need to be paid here at some point. Even if you did a lot of teams would still throw big dollars/term at him thinking he's still recovering. Stone's best option in this scenario is to wait and see if his performance improves as the year goes on looking at the payday. If he doesn't improve it won't be any problem to get a 1-2 year prove it deal from the Coyotes or somebody else. There is still not a great incentive for him to sign early.

3. Stone returns and is just outright awful, looks like he's lost a step despite claiming to be 100%. Yay, we can extend a possibly broken defenseman to a short term deal!

This isn't even getting into the issues of expansion protection and the opportunity cost of not trading him for assets.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My one concern is how Tippett and Chayka handle this if three days before the trade deadline Stone doesn't have an extension and the team is only six points out of the last playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad