Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Michael Latta 1-year, 2-way

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's hard for those types of players to get long term deals for good money but there is always a team willing to pay a little more for 1 or 2 years. Look at Winnik. He had to bounce around a lot to get max money, like 6 or 7 teams.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Take a look at remaining ufa's there are probably 10 on there looking for work that are at least as good as Martinook and will sign for $1.5 million or less.
I disagree. Players like Martinook are always under appreciated by their fan base because most times the fans look at points only. Martinook was asked to play out of position for most of last year and did very well.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I disagree. Players like Martinook are always under appreciated by their fan base because most times the fans look at points only. Martinook was asked to play out of position for most of last year and did very well.

Nook's actually probably one of the 5, maybe 3 most popular players on the team. He's won a fan voting award the last two season. But he is easily replaceable. While everyone loves hardworking, defensive players there are a lot of them around. I think he's great at what he does but he still is just a 4th line player who was overused. He didn't suck when asked to play top 6 minutes or when he played C, but he definitely did not thrive.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, and they will sign him, just like Reider last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Take a look at remaining ufa's there are probably 10 on there looking for work that are at least as good as Martinook and will sign for $1.5 million or less.

Name them. I think it will be very hard to find 10 ufa's that are of Martinook's age, speed and can play all forward positions. I don't think Martinook or Rieder are untouchable by no means, but to say they are a dime a dozen is wrong. If you were talking about players like Holland, Jooris and the like, I would agree. I have said it before and I will say it again, it is not always about points, rather how they fit into the teams overall scheme of things. Special teams are very important and Rieder and Martinook played more PK minutes than any other forward on the Coyotes last year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What does age have to do with it?? He's a 3rd or 4th liner for the next couple of years.
He might stay longer but that's kinda irrelevant. He's not a core piece and should be treated as such. Not saying all of these will sign for the amount but here are some UFA's that are looking for work: Stafford, Jokinen, Vanek, Winnik, Hudler, King, Stalberg, Parenteau, and so on. Our PK was ranked 27th last year, not sure I would put that on my resume??
Name them. I think it will be very hard to find 10 ufa's that are of Martinook's age, speed and can play all forward positions. I don't think Martinook or Rieder are untouchable by no means, but to say they are a dime a dozen is wrong. If you were talking about players like Holland, Jooris and the like, I would agree. I have said it before and I will say it again, it is not always about points, rather how they fit into the teams overall scheme of things. Special teams are very important and Rieder and Martinook played more PK minutes than any other forward on the Coyotes last year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
What does age have to do with it?? He's a 3rd or 4th liner for the next couple of years.
He might stay longer but that's kinda irrelevant. He's not a core piece and should be treated as such. Not saying all of these will sign for the amount but here are some UFA's that are looking for work: Stafford, Jokinen, Vanek, Winnik, Hudler, King, Stalberg, Parenteau, and so on. Our PK was ranked 27th last year, not sure I would put that on my resume??

I doubt the following accept less than 1.5 million: Stafford (last two contracts AAV over 4 million), Jokinen (last two contracts over 3 million AAV), Hudler (previous contract AAV 2 million). and King (previous contract 1.9 AAV). In terms of Vanek, Parenteau, and Stallberg, those numbers would be inflated for a "true" value comparison since they have pretty decent buyout money in addition to whatever contract they might sign, but Martinook seems to contribute more than they have over the last couple of seasons. So, I guess that leaves Winnik as maybe willing to sign for 1.5

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How about Chiasson, Upshall, Kelly, Korpikoski, White, Pirri, and so on.
Plenty of options in that range, no need to get excited about 3rd and 4th liners.
I doubt the following accept less than 1.5 million: Stafford (last two contracts AAV over 4 million), Jokinen (last two contracts over 3 million AAV), Hudler (previous contract AAV 2 million). and King (previous contract 1.9 AAV). In terms of Vanek, Parenteau, and Stallberg, those numbers would be inflated for a "true" value comparison since they have pretty decent buyout money in addition to whatever contract they might sign, but Martinook seems to contribute more than they have over the last couple of seasons. So, I guess that leaves Winnik as maybe willing to sign for 1.5

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
How about Chiasson, Upshall, Kelly, Korpikoski, White, Pirri, and so on.
Plenty of options in that range, no need to get excited about 3rd and 4th liners.

Martinook is getting underrated by some of us yotes fans. I can recall several nights where he was our most valuable player the last 2 years. He just finished what his second season in the nhl? He will obviously never be more then a 3/4 liner in the nhl, but he still hasn't tapped out as a nhl player. Players like Martinook are a lot more valuable to NHL teams then you would think. I bet if Nook was on the market Chayka would receive quite a bit of interest from other teams. Martinook is not a dime a dozen player and I would rather have more players like him on our 3rd and 4th line then less.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, Martinook is a good utility guy. Can play center in a pinch, and while he obviously doesn't belong in the top-six, it's hard to hold his usage against him. Quality middle-six guys that you can roll almost anywhere in the lineup are hard to come by. He might not be "worth" a ton, but he's not easily replaceable for less than 1.5M as seems to be being insinuated here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad