Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign ECHL affiliate agreement with Norfolk Admirals

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Bummer. My folks in Fort Wayne will have to partner with another NHL team (if the Komets want an NHL partner.)

Interesting choice. Although the choices closer to home are limited.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Glad there's a second minor league option in the family.

We've drafted 13 defensemen the last 3 years, so hopefully we stash a couple in Norfolk to play 26 minutes a night. And a goalie. To play 75% of the games.

Norfolk, VA and Rapid City, SD are both big military towns ... neat coincidence.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
My sister and her family (bro-in-law was a Naval officer) lived in Va Beach for about 4 years in the mid 00s, we all went up there for Christmas one year. I took the entire family, all 7 of us, out to an Admirals game, on the glass for maybe $100. Fun evening. IIRC they were Chicago's AHL affiliate at the time (I think they had Martin St. Pierre, only name I remember). Without bothering to look it up, I think they played then at a very 1970-looking arena called the Scope. That Hampton Roads area always *seemed* like it should be big enough to have major sports, but it has never happened. I wonder how they took being demoted from the AHL to the ECHL.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My sister and her family (bro-in-law was a Naval officer) lived in Va Beach for about 4 years in the mid 00s, we all went up there for Christmas one year. I took the entire family, all 7 of us, out to an Admirals game, on the glass for maybe $100. Fun evening. IIRC they were Chicago's AHL affiliate at the time (I think they had Martin St. Pierre, only name I remember). Without bothering to look it up, I think they played then at a very 1970-looking arena called the Scope. That Hampton Roads area always *seemed* like it should be big enough to have major sports, but it has never happened. I wonder how they took being demoted from the AHL to the ECHL.

Didn’t have much choice with the Ducks buying the AHL franchise and moving them to San Diego.

Then having Edmonton buy the ECHL Condors and flip them back to Norfolk just so they could move their AHL team in.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Without bothering to look it up, I think they played then at a very 1970-looking arena called the Scope. That Hampton Roads area always *seemed* like it should be big enough to have major sports, but it has never happened. I wonder how they took being demoted from the AHL to the ECHL.

Admirals fan here glad we have an affiliate always better to have than not. From what i have seen so far with the Oilers and Predators will only have 2-4 players that are under contract with the Coyotes/Roadrunners playing in Norfolk.

1. Admirals still play at the Scope arena
2. Fan base did not like the strong arm sale of the Admirals AHL franchise. Remember this happened a couple years after hanging the Calder cup banner at the Scope while Tampa Bay was loading the moving trunks heading for Syracuse.
3. Glad the area still has Professional hockey, but it is a hard pill for fans to be paying more for ECHL than we payed for AHL. VERY noticeable drop in skill level of the players. Lost a lot of long time fans.
4. Biggest thing i miss about the AHL is watching players get the call up. Used watch the NHL affiliate teams games that i would normally not have an interest in just to follow the players.

Quote from the announcement by Assistant General Manager Steve Sullivan.
Head Coach Robbie Ftorek. Having had Robbie as my first professional head coach, I fully trust his ability to develop our prospects in Norfolk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad