Coyotes sign Brandon Yip - Yippity do da

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678388

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Friday, July 19, 2013
GLENDALE, ARIZONA – Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed forward Brandon Yip to a one-year, two-way contract. As per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Last season, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Yip recorded 3-5-8 and 26 penalty minutes (PIM) in 34 games with the Nashville Predators.

In parts of four NHL seasons with Nashville and the Colorado Avalanche, the 28-year-old native of Vancouver, British Columbia has played in 172 regular season games, recording 29-27-56 and 130 PIM. He has also appeared in 16 Stanley Cup playoff games, totaling 3-3-6 and 12 PIM.

Yip was originally drafted by the Avalanche in the eighth round (239th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Always liked him when we played against Colorado. 4th liner with some jam. Good depth signing.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Off to Portland?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he is our 4th line guy. If he doesn't work out I think he gets sent to Portland, but he's not terrible. He is a 4th liner in the NHL. That's what he is fit for and that's where he should stay. After that good season he had in Colorado teams tried to put him in higher roles, and that's where his downfall came into play. I like this signing. Gives Brown and Miele some competition. Who knows, maybe under our structure he can find his scoring touch again. If not, then Portland now has a 1st/2nd line winger and Miele/Brown get their chance. I'm hoping it's Miele if Yip doesn't stick. Miele has amazing offensive talent and I would hate to see him ruled out due to his size. He had many teams interested in signing him but he chose Phoenix because he liked the organization. If he doesn't get his chance this year, I think he walks and gets a shot with another club a year from now.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
Sounds like yip will compete with biz and brown for the last spot. Unless they are doing something crazy like putting klinkhammer on the third line and putting brown and yip on the 4th line.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yip has been a solid energy winger throughout his career and had success finding the back of the net in Colorado. Nothing wrong with adding affordable RW depth, and it's a two-way, so he can be moved as needed. Wouldn't be surprised if Tippett rotates between Yip and Brown at 4RW until one of them cements his spot on the roster.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
His agents were convincing

yipyip1.jpg

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Another Nick Johnson who could potentially be another Rob Klinkhammer. It's a two-way deal. No lose. Good signing. He's got just as good a shot at 4RW as does Chris Brown. That kind of competition is healthy.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
To play with Hanzal and Vrbata. Lol.

Seriously though, I thought Maloney was done signing others' cast aways.

Meanwhile we have 10 NHL ready defencemen sitting around collecting rust and nobody to put the puck in the net on this team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Meanwhile we have 10 NHL ready defencemen sitting around collecting rust and nobody to put the puck in the net on this team.

I bet you could come up with ten players who would sign a two way deal and are unrestricted, that would be better options to compete for the 4RW spot, right?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Last time I checked OEL and Yandle were both pretty good in getting pucks in the net from the blueline. Yes we still need a top 6 scoring winger, but I certainly wouldn't be as dismissive as your are about Vrbata, and Doan, Boedker, Hanzal, Vermette, Korpi, and Moss are all capable of scoring 20+ goals.

Yeah, Yip, a career energy line RW was signed to a two-way deal in order to play LW with Hanzal and Vrbata full-time. :rolleyes: There's a spot open at 4RW. Yip is a good candidate to fill that spot.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Always liked him when we played against Colorado. 4th liner with some jam. Good depth signing.

I did to. Right now, I think he is better than what Brown showed last year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yip protects Brown who I strongly maintain needs more time to develop at the AHL level. This contract protects that asset and provides flexibility if/when Brown is ready for full-time duty.

To judge this as move based on deficiencies in our projected top 6 is misguided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad