• F

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's the dog days of summer, that means it's canned thread topics time!

Num.RoundPlayerPosGPGAPts
31Dylan StromeC27367103170
301Nick MerkleyR4141115
322Christian FischerR318434184
633Kyle CapobiancoD593710
763Adin HillG74022
813Brendan WarrenL
833Jens LookeR
1235Conor GarlandR2416682148
1837Erik KallgrenG4000

My take:
At first glance, there are a lot of NHL players in this class!
Strome, Fischer, Hill, and Garland. Capo may still have a shot too, outside it may be.

Context is a bitch though. Development issues perhaps (which would also be our fault!) but you can't kick a #3 OA this badly in a draft this good.

Garland is a 2nd liner from a 5th rounder that's very good. Fischer is probably fair value out of 32nd generally but a lot of really good players went after him. Hill is pretty good value out of a 3rd, filled in for Kuemper several times admirably.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Chayka took over on the 2nd day. He wanted to draft Fischer with the 30th pick. I wanted Carlo.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
3 players who olay 200+ games is an A. Sorry. 2 is an A. We hit 3! Yes Strome wasn’t who we hoped but he made it to the show. The rule of thumb with a draft is u are hoping for 2 players to play 200+ games. That’s the standard. We have 3 and Hill who is a backup goalie. Everyone is giving a D because they didn’t like how Strome turned out. That’s the wrong way to judge it imo.

Reactions: Jakey53 and XX

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Merkley and Capo would be NHL regulars if not for injury.

7 out of 9 picks doing something is a great hit rate.

Warren pick was the only bad decision of the draft.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
has to be atleast a D due the fact we wiffed on our top 3 prospects. The only thing about the draft that is redeemable is Garland and we traded him for Guenther, which bumps it from an F to a D.

Reactions: Jormungandr

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Who the hell is Brendan warren?

F for me. Considering who was available and who picked. No one, aside from garland is a respectable NHL player. Horrible draft.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I don’t judge this draft based on how many games have been played by the players selected, I grade it based on how it affected the franchise going forward.

When you look at it that way it’s like a D. In a way the best thing to come out of this draft was Nick Schmaltz and Dylan Guenther…

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
7 out of 9 picks doing something is a great hit rate.

True. I was too harsh. We all want superstars, but judging our GM on the ability to draft elite players is unfair. I'm changing my vote to a B.

This chart shows the average NHL games for each team's draft class. This is, of course, an imperfect method to evaluate a GM's performance. McDavid was a no-brainer at #1, while the Hawk's first pick was #54. They won the Cup that summer, and if I checked would probably see that they traded away a bunch of high picks to build a championship team. I doubt any Chicago fans will complain about the 2015 draft.

1659910998279.png

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t judge this draft based on how many games have been played by the players selected, I grade it based on how it affected the franchise going forward.

When you look at it that way it’s like a D. In a way the best thing to come out of this draft was Nick Schmaltz and Dylan Guenther…
That doesn't make any sense.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
7 of 9 picks make the show and its an F grade. I give up.

If you can't deliver a top line talent after intentionally nuking your roster what's the point?

If it's like a grade, your first round pick being traded within 3 years is like bombing your final exam and getting your 3rds right is like acing that weekly pop quiz. One is just a teensy bit more important than the other.

They don't have to (nor should they) be weighted equally. The difference between nailing the first and this draft and not is franchise altering given Garland came in the same class.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you can't deliver a top line talent after intentionally nuking your roster what's the point?

If it's like a grade, your first round pick being traded within 3 years is like bombing your final exam and getting your 3rds right is like acing that weekly pop quiz. One is just a teensy bit more important than the other.

They don't have to (nor should they) be weighted equally. The difference between nailing the first and this draft and not is franchise altering given Garland came in the same class.
Scouts draft players. Team still needs to develop them. 7/9 hit. That’s a fantastic draft.

Strome disappointed.

Finding players is the main thing. Finding impact players is the hard thing. Our franchise struggled exceptionally with both aspects. This draft at least provided some degree of organizational depth. I don’t view it as a failure because Dylan Strome eats a bagel for breakfast.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
7 of 9 picks make the show and its an F grade. I give up.
The only way a top 3 pick doesn’t play 200+ games in the NHL at least is if something goes seriously wrong. IMO Fischer doesn’t play 200+, let alone 300+, on most other franchises. It’s crazy that he’s allowed to just bumble around the fourth line as long as he has just because he’s a good guy and the players love him. And personally I don’t count getting multiple cups of coffee and showing you don’t belong as making the show.

Grade it however you want. Not everyone has to agree with you.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
3 players who olay 200+ games is an A. Sorry. 2 is an A. We hit 3! Yes Strome wasn’t who we hoped but he made it to the show. The rule of thumb with a draft is u are hoping for 2 players to play 200+ games. That’s the standard. We have 3 and Hill who is a backup goalie. Everyone is giving a D because they didn’t like how Strome turned out. That’s the wrong way to judge it imo.

The year was insane, it was superstars available the first 150 picks or something. Garland is a very redeeming pick, but in hindsight, that 3OA should have been traded down- getting 2 mid-round picks who ended up being top 5 quality for it. Or more.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Who the hell is Brendan warren?

F for me. Considering who was available and who picked. No one, aside from garland is a respectable NHL player. Horrible draft.
I went D-

Having 3 of the top 32 picks in this legendary draft was can't miss.....but we missed and missed BIG on those 3 picks.

Hill and Garland the only reason this not a F for me.

Reactions: SniperHF

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Part of the reason this franchise has been a mess the past few years are the mistakes made at the top of this draft.
the other part is the lack of depth we were able to fill internally and had to rely on expensive free agents to play in a bottom 6 capacity.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I chose B and I'll stick to it, but I could just as easily change it to D for the other reasons mentioned. Tough, tough call for me. Compromising and choosing C doesn't solve it lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We got some replacement level players and Garland. I don't rate drafting average 4th liners highly, especially when we had 2 1sts and a high 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad