Confirmed with Link: Coyotes re-sign Louis Domingue [2 yrs/$1.05m AAV]

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Have a feeling he will make Smith look bad with an improved team in front of him. But the Coyotes need Smith's awful salary to hit the floor. Grumble grumble.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Chayka in release: "Louis had a breakthrough season last year and we are confident that he and Mike (Smith) will form a great tandem for us"

Interesting to me how he calls them a tandem. I could just be reading what I want to hear but regardless, hope he and Smitty split games 50/50 this year

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Chayka in release: "Louis had a breakthrough season last year and we are confident that he and Mike (Smith) will form a great tandem for us"

Interesting to me how he calls them a tandem. I could just be reading what I want to hear but regardless, hope he and Smitty split games 50/50 this year

Goalie tandem is a common phrase

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio

What the word tandem leads me to believe is that we are not in the market for a veteran backup for Smith at least. But I'd assume we'll sign a Veteran goalie for Tucson.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
one RFA down, many more to go.

I don't expect him to split starts 50/50 with Smitty (although I wouldn't mind). I'm guessing it will be around 40 (LD)/60(MS) barring injuries depending how each plays.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
one RFA down, many more to go.

I don't expect him to split starts 50/50 with Smitty (although I wouldn't mind). I'm guessing it will be around 40 (LD)/60(MS) barring injuries depending how each plays.

Even that's generous. Tippet has had the habit of going with Smith like 85/15 even when goalies like Dubnyk are rocking it and Smith is struggling so I'm not holding my breath.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
1.05m aav

Well, if we don't rely on Domingue further, I guess that makes him a tradeable asset.

I'd like to keep Domingue, but not if he's only getting around 25 starts per season (he plays better than that)

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Phew, while he could fall off the map, its nice to have a secure player in that spot

He's young and played very well. Better than anyone thought he would. He turned this team around for a while. I don't see him falling off the map. I think he's our future starter and if Smith plays like he always does, Dom will be our starter by seasons end.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The fact that this is two years and not one is all we need to know about Mike Smith being unprotected for the Vegas draft.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The fact that this is two years and not one is all we need to know about Mike Smith being unprotected for the Vegas draft.

There's only 24 million on the books next year. I wouldn't be so sure that Smith gets dumped.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
There's only 24 million on the books next year. I wouldn't be so sure that Smith gets dumped.

True but we can always overpay someone else who will still be a worthwhile player. Smith is just so inconsistent you can't count on him at all.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Oh I think he sticks around, but he'll be unprotected. Vegas will have better goalies to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad