News Article: Coyotes ranked #2 for best logo

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/category/logo-rankings/

Coming in at No. 2: The Arizona Coyotes.

For sure, some people are going to hate this selection. We’ve already seen the comments about the “roadkill†logo, but we couldn’t disagree more.

The Coyotes logo, which is a massive improvement on their original, is a nice-looking canine with a sun-dried color combination you don’t see every day. For me, I like the Coyotes logo for the same reasons I like the UConn Huskies logo: it’s just a good looking animal. The Coyotes design isn’t a cartoon, or one that looks soft and too happy for its own good. The howling Coyote is a sophisticated design that also sits nice on the jersey with smooth colors. Some will wonder how we ranked it No. 2 in the NHL – I’ll wonder how others don’t see the beauty in it. So goes the logo ranking process.

But if you think you can design a better logo for the Coyotes, now is your chance. Send in your design to [email protected] and we’ll run a collection of our favorite readar redesigns next week. And why not try designing new logos for the other NHL teams we’ve ranked?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will politely disagree with this findings (my oilers should be at about 20th) and would love to see the logic used in finding these things out

top ten for me (Oiler fan)
Habs
Rangers
Blues
Hawks
Bruins
leafs(sic)
Kings
Wings
Flyers
sharks

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Putting it ahead of the blue note and the red wing is a joke. Even comparing it to the Uconn husky. Really, guy?

It's a terrible asymmetric logo with a strange orientation and currently resides on some incredibly boring jerseys.

That Dallas redo tho... so good.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My Top 5:

1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. New Jersey
4. NY Islanders
5. Dallas

Honorable mentions: Minnesota, Montreal, St. Louis, Nashville

Bottom 5:

1. Winnipeg
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Ottawa
5. Vancouver

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Looking at the logos together I'd say I like

Coyotes:coyotes, Red Wings:wings, Wild:wild, Perds:nashville, Sharks:sharks,and Jets:jets...and blues:blues and pens:pens.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Preds did a nice clean up job with their logo. Removing the grey elements and adding that yellow streak really improved it.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
All right. I appreciate what the Blackhawks franchise has accomplished, I think it's great that they have more fans than ever, and no one can deny that the talent on their roster is to be envied. And I understand that the history of the NHL is intertwined with that of the Chicago Blackhawks.

But the jersey. The logo. Butt ****in' ugly. The colors make no sense. The Indian head crest is too ****** busy for one thing, and for another, it's a frigging disembodied head. Gross. Plus, the uniforms are a riot of mismatched colors. Yellow, red, green, orange, black. This sort of technicolor excrescence might be acceptable if we were talking about a kindergartener's fingerpainting assignment, but we're not. We just are not.

And yet these ugly stupid things are on every top 10 list of uniforms ever created. What's going on? Are these people colorblind? Are they drunk? Are they on acid? Are they, themselves, devotees of kindergarten fingerpainting?

Not that anyone cares what I think. Nobody ever listens to poor MP.

Edit: To stay on topic, I'm not a huge fan of the coyote head; the Kachina logo was far from perfect, but at least it added a pinch of local color to the overall presentation. The uniforms themselves may not be anything to shout about, but I do like the shade of red they're using. Dark enough to look fierce, light enough to come off well on tv.

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Putting it ahead of the blue note and the red wing is a joke. Even comparing it to the Uconn husky. Really, guy?

It's a terrible asymmetric logo with a strange orientation and currently resides on some incredibly boring jerseys.

That Dallas redo tho... so good.

You probably worded it a little more directly than I would have, but yeah I feel the same way. We very well could have the single most asymmetric logo of any team in the 4 major sports.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Looking at the logos together I'd say I like

Coyotes:coyotes, Red Wings:wings, Wild:wild, Perds:nashville, Sharks:sharks,and Jets:jets...and blues:blues and pens:pens.
Never liked anything about the Sharks jerseys; ugly teal + why is the shark eating a hockey stick? Did a shipment of hockey gear capsize in San Francisco Bay?
I think the Stars logo is excellent and the Preds logo is one of the worst ever.
Their green color is growing on me a little, but the silver ninja star stays losing in my book. Change the color of the D and they gain a full letter grade.

CHI and DET are top 2 on my list, and I think all the expansion animal logos come right after that. Us. ATL. NSH. FLA. MIN. They're great.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I hate Dallas's new jerseys.

It's one of those things that looks better when you see a player in the full kit. For a team that doesn't have a lot of history to draw on they did a good job. It could have been a lot worse. See Carolina.

CHI and DET are top 2 on my list, and I think all the expansion animal logos come right after that. Us. ATL. NSH. FLA. MIN. They're great.

Preds logo is a great example of how orientation matters. Imagine if it was howling up at the corner of the jersey. ECHL level stuff.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Never liked anything about the Sharks jerseys; ugly teal + why is the shark eating a hockey stick? Did a shipment of hockey gear capsize in San Francisco Bay?Their green color is growing on me a little, but the silver ninja star stays losing in my book. Change the color of the D and they gain a full letter grade.

Wow. We are opposite. I despise animal head logos for the most part, other than Minnesota. And I think the San Jose brand, as a whole, is fantastic.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Never liked anything about the Sharks jerseys; ugly teal + why is the shark eating a hockey stick? Did a shipment of hockey gear capsize in San Francisco Bay?

The shark looks cool in my opinion and the color on the logo looks nice. The rest of the jersey is a different story..awful. I imagine the shark is biting the stick because any other piece of hockey equipment would look stupid.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Biting the stick isn't bad... it could be worst... the shark could be holding the stick or a puck under one of the pectoral fins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad