Speculation: Coyotes Offseason

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Here's a guy I wonder about... Seth Jones. If the Hawks wanted to move on there's not a lot of playoff hopefuls with that kind of cap space. He's still a #1D that can log heavy minutes.
I don't think he carries value at full cap and like you said, he can still play a big role despite being overpaid. I think they're going to want to start building up around Bedard sooner than later

Reactions: Blueston and JKG33

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What are the needs of the team?

They need a good center to help Cooley, a #1 defensemen and a starting goaltender.

They got some nice pieces, if I was the owner, I'd keep the management and tell them to hire a very good coach, give them the ability to spend but spend wisely.

They need good leadership above all.

If in free agency they can grab Stamkos at a reasonable price and trade from D, they can be good.

They have some good pieces, if the GM is unhandcuffed, they can become a good team.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They are also in a salary cap position to give these guys absurd money on short term deals and not tie their hands for too long. Like is Lindholm going to turn down 2x10 when the other offers at this point are probably like 6x6?
Would be a good bounceback spot for him . Most likely gets 1c with Keller

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They have the assets and cap space to be fairly busy this off-season, but I sure hope new ownership doesn't try to force whoever the GM is to try fix everything this off-season with the mandate of playoffs.

Make some moves to be more competitive, but be realistic that you are a team that missed the playoffs by 25 points and have a lot of teams to overtake to get there.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The coyotes have been managed with the equivalent of a 10 pounds weight on each foot while they try to swim. Moving to Utah and having an owner who will actually open their wallet will unleash a lot of potential in an already pretty weak western conference.
We just witnessed one of the worst playoff races in recent memory (not in terms of excitement, but rather teams continuing to lose when playoffs were within reach) in the east and that's your takeaway? The 6th, 7th and 8th seeds in the east would've likely missed the playoffs in the west.

The Coyotes will have a new life in Utah for sure, but it's still a tough road to the playoffs in the west

Coyotes won't exist in about 15 hours there isn't going to be a coyotes off season.

He's always been my dream partner for Rielly
A mod can change the title when the move is official, I didn't wanna post a Utah thread prematurely.

I agree, it's too bad Jones had Canada on his NTC. Him or Trouba would've been perfect

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
West was bottom heavy with the 3 worst in chi, SJ and Ana. Then a gap to CBS and another gap before AZ.

i doubt Utah does anything outrageous but have the option to do something if they want.

Not many players know much about the city so they need to figure out how to market themselves to the players to erase any preconceived notions of the city.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
The Bruins will be moving one of there goalies this off season. You build winning teams from the net out. With the picks and prospects they have . They should be going hard to obtain which ever goalie the Bruins decide to move .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They have a way to go, but there is a lot of potential in this Coyotes lineup. They haven't had this much skill in their forwards in a long, long time.

LW - this is probably their area of most strength. With Keller, Crouse, Carcone and Maccelli, they are pretty set. If they can get a guy like Guentzel though, swapping a LW to the right side will help balance their team out even more.

C- Obviously they don't have a 1C, although they might have the answer internally with Cooley. I would try to upgrade on Kerfoot, even though he has been good there. I don't really see the kind of player they need being available though. I know "stay the course" isn't really solid advice for a team running Alex Kerfoot in the top six, but Cooley is a very good 2nd line C already and could be a 1st line guy right away. If Doan can stick as a C, they have 3 of 4 C spots locked in for the long term, they just need an upgrade on Kerfoot to help move them along faster.

RW - Dylan Guenther is going to be their anchor here, and Schmaltz is a good player as well if they are going to keep him around. This is an area where they could improve though, if they were to bring in an experienced veteran who isn't too long in the tooth, a RW might be the most realistic place to expect the help. I don't expect Sam Reinhart to sign with them, but they could go with a guy like Jonathan Marchessault or Tyler Toffoli, both are veteran players with cup experience who are still contributing at high levels. Either would give this team a big boost next year.

They do need a couple of veterans and some good, quality scorers to insulate their young guys, but the biggest issue is going to be on the blueline. They certainly have some serviceable guys like Durzi, Moser, Valimaki and Kesslering, but I don't see a top pair guy there - not ideally anyway. If they want to compete, they need to focus on trying to get a top pair on the blueline and bump down the other guys on their blueline. There isn't a ton on the free agent market on the blueline, at least not in terms of top pair quality. Guys like Skeji, , Sean Walker, Hronek (if available via trade) and Matt Roy would help this team, but none of them are the superstar #1 defenseman this team really needs. This is going to be the hardest piece for them to find. Skjei should be the top target for them here I think, they would still need to find a top pair RD, but Skjei has the offensive tools to be their #1 in a lot of scenarios.

I could see them making a push for a high end goalie. It might be the best way to get around the issue of not having a star #1 defenseman.

If they truly went all in and spent some money, they could be dangerous, especially if they signed a couple of the better wingers, and used some of their younger wingers like Maccelli or Carcone to fill in the blueline gaps.

There's a lot of opportunity with the cap space they have available. I'll be interested to see what they do with it.

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
They have a way to go, but there is a lot of potential in this Coyotes lineup. They haven't had this much skill in their forwards in a long, long time.

LW - this is probably their area of most strength. With Keller, Crouse, Carcone and Maccelli, they are pretty set. If they can get a guy like Guentzel though, swapping a LW to the right side will help balance their team out even more.

C- Obviously they don't have a 1C, although they might have the answer internally with Cooley. I would try to upgrade on Kerfoot, even though he has been good there. I don't really see the kind of player they need being available though. I know "stay the course" isn't really solid advice for a team running Alex Kerfoot in the top six, but Cooley is a very good 2nd line C already and could be a 1st line guy right away. If Doan can stick as a C, they have 3 of 4 C spots locked in for the long term, they just need an upgrade on Kerfoot to help move them along faster.

RW - Dylan Guenther is going to be their anchor here, and Schmaltz is a good player as well if they are going to keep him around. This is an area where they could improve though, if they were to bring in an experienced veteran who isn't too long in the tooth, a RW might be the most realistic place to expect the help. I don't expect Sam Reinhart to sign with them, but they could go with a guy like Jonathan Marchessault or Tyler Toffoli, both are veteran players with cup experience who are still contributing at high levels. Either would give this team a big boost next year.

They do need a couple of veterans and some good, quality scorers to insulate their young guys, but the biggest issue is going to be on the blueline. They certainly have some serviceable guys like Durzi, Moser, Valimaki and Kesslering, but I don't see a top pair guy there - not ideally anyway. If they want to compete, they need to focus on trying to get a top pair on the blueline and bump down the other guys on their blueline. There isn't a ton on the free agent market on the blueline, at least not in terms of top pair quality. Guys like Skeji, , Sean Walker, Hronek (if available via trade) and Matt Roy would help this team, but none of them are the superstar #1 defenseman this team really needs. This is going to be the hardest piece for them to find. Skjei should be the top target for them here I think, they would still need to find a top pair RD, but Skjei has the offensive tools to be their #1 in a lot of scenarios.

I could see them making a push for a high end goalie. It might be the best way to get around the issue of not having a star #1 defenseman.

If they truly went all in and spent some money, they could be dangerous, especially if they signed a couple of the better wingers, and used some of their younger wingers like Maccelli or Carcone to fill in the blueline gaps.

There's a lot of opportunity with the cap space they have available. I'll be interested to see what they do with it.
This was the best offensive team ever for the Yotes so I think D upgrades are the way to go. I think the plan should be to add a couple of solid D. Doesn't necessarily need to be a 1D. Their defense was so putrid that if you add just 2 responsible D players, you could potentially see them make a big jump in points. I really like the idea of adding Roy and I wanted them to trade for Walker. I think they also need a better rotation goalie and would get rid of Vej. He's just too inconsistent and not great with the technical side of the position.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
That's virtually impossible, they have like 10 NHL guys under contract
That's not remotely true, even if you aren't counting their ELC's who will surely be on the roster next year. They only have 2 free agent forwards (1 UFA, 1 RFA), and while none of their defensemen are under contract, only 2 are UFA's, and those are the 2 they likely wouldn't want back anyway. All of their RFA defensemen should be brought back, and while they will all need a raise, not have done enough to warrant being overpaid for the role they should have on a young team trying to leave "rebuild" status. They just need a couple of good veterans to help bring that group together and bump them back a bit in their role.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's not remotely true, even if you aren't counting their ELC's who will surely be on the roster next year. They only have 2 free agent forwards (1 UFA, 1 RFA), and while none of their defensemen are under contract, only 2 are UFA's, and those are the 2 they likely wouldn't want back anyway. All of their RFA defensemen should be brought back, and while they will all need a raise, not have done enough to warrant being overpaid for the role they should have on a young team trying to leave "rebuild" status. They just need a couple of good veterans to help bring that group together and bump them back a bit in their role.
Just checked their active roster - 12 players under contract and no other ELCs surely on the roster next year, seems like it is remotely true. They're also wildly under the cap floor by losing 2/3 of the LTIRetirement club and as you said, none of the RFAs are likely to get massive raises save for maybe Durzi. So sure seems like it's almost impossible that they'll be inactive

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
They should find a way to turn some of those 2nd round picks into first rounders or impact roster players.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just checked their active roster - 12 players under contract and no other ELCs surely on the roster next year, seems like it is remotely true. They're also wildly under the cap floor by losing 2/3 of the LTIRetirement club and as you said, none of the RFAs are likely to get massive raises save for maybe Durzi. So sure seems like it's almost impossible that they'll be inactive
Sorry, I should have clarified. The "doing nothing is impossible" statement I agree with. The "10 guys under contract" is what I was disagreeing with, as you can't just ignore the RFA guys. They have to fill at least 3 spots from UFA's leaving, but the rest of the team is either under contract or under team control for the next season.

They should find a way to turn some of those 2nd round picks into first rounders.
They should find a way to turn some of those 2nd round picks into a couple of quality NHL defensemen.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No it really doesn't, 100% of the talk from insiders right now is "Utah will be very active"
"In addition, the Board approved a plan that renders the Arizona Coyotes franchise inactive, with a right to reactivate if owner Alex Meruelo has fully constructed a new, state-of-the-art facility appropriate for an NHL team within five years."

Now do you get the joke by any chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad