Rumor: Coyotes nearing extension with Tourigny

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
AT has a long way to go to unseat Tippet. The potential is there but I think people are forgetting how good the Coyotes were there for a few years under Tippet and he did it all under horrible circumstances. We all remember the no offense, trying to squeeze blood from stone end years of Tippet where he was rightfully let go but let's not forget he also authored 3 straight playoff years including a trip to the conference finals. Not to mention he also authored a 50 win season, which seems almost unfathomable right now, only to get a horrible first round matchup against Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Lidstrom led Redwings who were cup favorites that year (and seemingly ever year back then). I hope AT can overtake him someday but he's still got a long way to go!
If payoffs are the parameter a “long way” is a three year minimum at best. In fairness I think it’s safe to say AT is doing what DT could not have done and DT may have done what AT could not.

The thing that stinks is that the end of Tipp's time just left such a sour taste. He's our best coach ever, for sure, but man he sucked at the end.
Ready for the challenge
Ready for the fight

Didn’t help :laugh:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If payoffs are the parameter a “long way” is a three year minimum at best. In fairness I think it’s safe to say AT is doing what DT could not have done and DT may have done what AT could not.

Ready for the challenge
Ready for the fight

Didn’t help :laugh:
Playoffs are definitely not the only parameter, I mean technically even Tocchet got them into the playoffs*. Tippet coached them to a 50 win season one year and a conference finals appearance another. I can hardly even imagine what a 50 win season is like these days but I'm hoping AT can them there one day.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Let’s not forget they Tippett got blessed with Vezina-caliber goaltending for 3 years straight there. As soon as the goaltending became pedestrian, the team followed.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I can't say we'll be better than anyone not named Chicago, at least from a division standpoint. We should be competitive with teams like STL, NSH, WPG, and MIN, but I feel like it's more of a coin toss. I'm thinking 76-83 points feels like a safe bet, though less or more wouldn't actually surprise me so long as it's not placing us among the best or worst teams.

League wide, I'm thinking we fall somewhere between 24th and 15th worst. Average to below average is a fine place to be in year 3 of a rebuild.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let’s not forget they Tippett got blessed with Vezina-caliber goaltending for 3 years straight there. As soon as the goaltending became pedestrian, the team followed.
Isn't that usually the case?

I can't say we'll be better than anyone not named Chicago, at least from a division standpoint. We should be competitive with teams like STL, NSH, WPG, and MIN, but I feel like it's more of a coin toss. I'm thinking 76-83 points feels like a safe bet, though less or more wouldn't actually surprise me so long as it's not placing us among the best or worst teams.

League wide, I'm thinking we fall somewhere between 24th and 15th worst. Average to below average is a fine place to be in year 3 of a rebuild.
15th worst probably puts us in the playoffs. Not going to happen.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
As of today, the Jets have to be considered better than the Coyotes, maybe the Blues as well. The difference could be in the D.
Maybe. I'm not thinking the Yotes are a playoff team by any means. I just think the Central is going to be the weakest division. The Pacific is a lot stronger.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Isn't that usually the case?

15th worst probably puts us in the playoffs. Not going to happen.
It's unlikely we make the playoffs, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility with our improved roster. Just takes one of those dream runs that teams make every few years. I'm more inclined to believe we fall in the 19-22 range, but the difference between 19 and 15 could be 3/4 wins in points. While it's easier said than done, winning an extra 4 games in a season isn't exactly a monumental feat.

I don't expect we'll be a playoff team, but I wouldn't be surprised if we snuck in.

Reactions: Mosby and Kai Yo T

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Moser-Dumba
Valimaki-Durzi
Stecher-Brown
Dermott

I don’t think you can get near the playoffs with that blueline. I’m hoping for the best, and I like these guys ok and all. But that’s a bottom 3rd of the league (being generous) type of blueline.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Moser-Dumba
Valimaki-Durzi
Stecher-Brown
Dermott

I don’t think you can get near the playoffs with that blueline. I’m hoping for the best, and I like these guys ok and all. But that’s a bottom 3rd of the league (being generous) type of blueline.
Possibly, but last season we finished with

Moser-Valimaki
Soderstrom-Mackey
Kesselring-Brown

Which on paper is absolutely abysmal but finished 6th worst and didn’t look all that bad, I had seen worse.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Possibly, but last season we finished with

Moser-Valimaki
Soderstrom-Mackey
Kesselring-Brown

Which on paper is absolutely abysmal but finished 6th worst and didn’t look all that bad, I had seen worse.
But this year we are starting with that line up.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Moser-Dumba
Valimaki-Durzi
Stecher-Brown
Dermott

@rt how do you rank them as ideal # wise?

Moser = #3
Dumba / Valimaki / Durzi = #4
Stetcher = 6/7
Brown/Dermott = 7

So we are missing a #1 and #2 D...pretty hard to find guys.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Moser = #3
Stetcher = 6/7
Brown/Dermott = 7

I don't know that it's that cut and dry, Moser, Durzi, Dumba, and Valimaki all seem like 2nd pairing guys, maybe 3rd on the top 10 teams. It would stand to reason that all 4 could improve over last seasons stats as well (not just on offense).

I know I'm effectively advocating for us as a playoff team, but I don't think we are. I'm just not ready to say we are 100% not touching a wildcard slot.

Reactions: Prarievarg

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we get hot goal tending, all the young guys improve and our D core that is missing a top pairing suddenly becomes good, we make the playoffs at 97 or so points. That is a 25+ point improvement which will mean we have the GM and or coach of the year. Tip had like a 25+ point increase his first year but he took over for one of the worst coaches ever in TGO and Mike Smith suddenly was great. I could see a suddenly great goal tender emerge, we have had 4 or 5 of them. I don't see the improved coaching angle since we have the same coach.

i think it will be tough to improve that much point wise but it is possible. I keep hoping one of these years we get some breaks and catch lightening in a bottle versus our usual struck by lightening team, we can only hope:)

Where is that new coaching contract? Cocktails are riding on it....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we get hot goal tending, all the young guys improve and our D core that is missing a top pairing suddenly becomes good, we make the playoffs at 97 or so points. That is a 25+ point improvement which will mean we have the GM and or coach of the year. Tip had like a 25+ point increase his first year but he took over for one of the worst coaches ever in TGO and Mike Smith suddenly was great. I could see a suddenly great goal tender emerge, we have had 4 or 5 of them. I don't see the improved coaching angle since we have the same coach.

i think it will be tough to improve that much point wise but it is possible. I keep hoping one of these years we get some breaks and catch lightening in a bottle versus our usual struck by lightening team, we can only hope:)

Where is that new coaching contract? Cocktails are riding on it....
The contract will be signed prior to Australia.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Moser = #3
Stetcher = 6/7
Brown/Dermott = 7

100% agree with how you are describing / ranking our D.

Simashev could / should hopefully be a 1D in the future, which means we'll still need another top pair D. Hrabal was one of the best G prospects this year, who knows if he becomes a good NHL starter but the potential is definitely there.

Our wingers are good, and also Cooley projects to be good.

So now, imo we still need one more top pair D (Lam might be this if we get lucky) and also a 2C (Hayton or Geekie might be this if we get lucky).

So, our long term roster doesn't look too bad imo. Still a few years away but to me most of our roster should be filled by prospects who project to actually be good, and we also still have a few more draft picks to make (who will also hopefully become good players).

Imo the future is very bright in the medium to long term. Not a bad spot to be in, esp since that's about when the new barn should (hopefully) be ready

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad