Confirmed with Link: Coyotes name Blaine Forsythe as assistant coach

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

A bit buried in Craig's article today but confirmed by Tourigny

“When we just hired Blaine Forsythe as an assistant coach, he had a good interview, but so did plenty of other guys we interviewed. The research you do behind the scenes and the people you talk to means way more. We talked to a lot of people who coached with Blaine Forsythe, who worked with him before and they all said good things about him. I talked to former players who played for him like Jay Beagle and they all said great things about him. Then you meet him to confirm what people say and that’s how he got the job."

Has spent the past 14 seasons as assistant coach with the Capitals

Not sure if he is replacing someone or an addition, but our bench is already crowded as is with Duhamel, Stillman, and Madden.

Also, not sure if Stillman is leaving or if this is an oversight by Tourigny, but he is not mentioned here in this part further in the article:

"I want to grow with these people; with Mads [John Madden], Mario [Duhamel], Bill [Armstrong], [Corey] Schwabby and Hunts [Hunter Cherni]."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaizen

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Caps board confirms he was the PP guy. Stillman did that job last year in AZ. Hmmm...

Forsythe had impressive staying power in Washington. He was part of the staffs of Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz, Todd Reirden, and Peter Laviolette.

Reactions: Grimes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Caps board confirms he was the PP guy. Stillman did the job last year in AZ. Hmmm...

Forsythe had impressive staying power in Washington. He was part of the staffs of Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz, Todd Reirden, and Peter Laviolette.

Craig's article mentions Doan was coaching the PP to a degree.

“Shane really wants to push his career and go to the next level and I think that will be a good step in that direction. On the selfish side of it, I lose a really good friend, an ally, a guy who has a fantastic feeling for the game, a guy who helped me a lot last year. He was on the ice with us for practice. He was running our power play so that’s a blow. I love him.

Possible that was TC only but doesn't sound like it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He was part of the staffs of Bruce Boudreau, Dale Hunter, Adam Oates, Barry Trotz, Todd Reirden, and Peter Laviolette.

I don't remember him ever getting buzz for a HC gig, which is pretty weird for an assistant with that kinda tenure and a cup win.

Reactions: ck26

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Getting rid off Forsythe was probably the best thing ever happened to the Caps (except winning the Cup). I really feel sorry for you.

From 06-23 the #1 PP in the entire league over that span was... the Washington Capitals. GTFO.

Coyotes were 31st

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Nah, I'm gonna listen to what this guy has to say. I'm sure all the Oilers fans jumping up and down that they hired Tippett felt the same. CoYoTeS fAn DuMb. DoN'T kNoW HoCkEy.

the same is going to happen with RT in Vancouver.

Sometimes, the older fanbase just knows. We should take what this guy says somewhat seriously. haha

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nah, I'm gonna listen to what this guy has to say. I'm sure all the Oilers fans jumping up and down that they hired Tippett felt the same. CoYoTeS fAn DuMb. DoN'T kNoW HoCkEy.

the same is going to happen with RT in Vancouver.

Sometimes, the older fanbase just knows. We should take what this guy says somewhat seriously. haha

Pssst…

From 06-23 the #1 PP in the entire league over that span was... the Washington Capitals. GTFO.

Coyotes were 31st

Reactions: ck26

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The PP stats don't lie but how much of that is Ovechkin and how much of it is the coach? I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here. I'm not concerned about this mostly because I've generally liked BA and Tourigny's moves, but I'm not sure we can totally dismiss the previous team's concerns. Do we know why they let him go?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Craig's article mentions Doan was coaching the PP to a degree.

Possible that was TC only but doesn't sound like it.
Stillman took a personal leave in January. Don’t remember if he ever came back. Maybe Doan picked up the PP role in his absence.

Btlegend082

Jun 23, 2021
He was great with the Caps for awhile but as OV and the whole team aged he never adapted and was pretty stubborn utilizing the sling shot when it was prettty obvious it didnt work and struggled with zone entries and became the whipping boy he pretty much just over stayed his welcome and if yall are better puck possession and speed he could be a decent hire on entries and give it time to setup other then that just have win the faceoffs in the Ozone

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The PP stats don't lie but how much of that is Ovechkin and how much of it is the coach??
That’s not the point. The point was whether complaints should be taken seriously. The answer is no.

———

I’m quite surprised that they replaced a coach with someone other than Benoit Groulx. Maybe he’s only interested in being a head coach?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sharing this informative post from a Caps fan

Started as a video coach, and worked his way up thru multiple head coaches and ran the powerplay primarily for the last four head coaches the Capitals have had. He and Adam Oates developed the particular implementation of the 1-3-1 powerplay that took the NHL by storm in 2013-14, and resulted in highly ranked Capitals power plays ranking no lower than 5th in the NHL the next four seasons and almost the whole NHL playing copycat in some fashion. Since 2018, the unit had been in more or less a steady decline (despite a brief resurgence in the COVID-impacted 2021 season), with Forsythe and multiple head coaches unable to find the right ways to answer a league that had learned to deal with its tricks. The formation itself was still relatively effective, but the crisp and quick zone entries that had defined the early years of the formation were solved by the rest of the NHL, and seemingly their only answer was dumping the puck around the boards on a "slingshot" play that either failed or took a long time to establish the zone. When the PP was at its strongest, the Caps were the fastest team in the league at gaining the zone and establishing their formation with positive control of the puck (RIP to this excellent blog), which meant that they had more time in the zone to break down the Defense using their extra man (plus that once-in-a-generation scoring talent at the left circle). When their single-swing zone entry was denied and they resorted to a lower percentage and slower method of zone entries with the slingshot, that advantage of extra time to break down the defense unraveled, and the Caps PP success did as well.

So you're getting a guy who helped revolutionize the powerplay once, which is something not many assistant coaches can say. But so far he has not yet been able to perform the same trick twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad