News Article: Coyotes looking to host outdoor game

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
That would be awesome. Would be great for the NHL to host a game in every city they can that is hosting the Super Bowl.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Maybe we should worry about feeling up the arena we have right now. Looking for another 60k to fill up the seats seems like wishful thinking to me.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Maybe we should worry about feeling up the arena we have right now. Looking for another 60k to fill up the seats seems like wishful thinking to me.

That was my initial thought "great... another chance for this pathetic fanbase to embarrass itself." However the idea of having it in town during a Superbowl weekend would certainly raise the potential of selling tickets.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Make it against Chicago and the 50,000 Blackhawk fans that live in the valley will all show up.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Make it against Chicago and the 50,000 Blackhawk "fans" that live in the valley will all show up.

mj-laughing.gif

This is true.
Also fixed what you said.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So we should get excited about watching the same game indoors like we always do but with crappier seats???

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
I dont like the idea personally, but it could steal some thunder from Glendale if its around the Super Bowl. The problem is that it would have to be at Chase if they want to do it that week/weekend. If I am Glendale, I wouldn't be too happy. I think you will get a lot of casual fans that wouldn't mind seeing how it would work. It will be around 50 degrees and with the AC on, I think it could work.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
These games are fantastic for the live fan and the league revenues. Not as exciting for the TV fan after having so many of them, but still neat. I went to the one in Buffalo a few years back and I'd like to experience the one in LA. I'd personally fly down to AZ to see this if the Coyotes are hosting an outdoor game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Logistically, it would be easier than some markets. Both roofs (UPIG, Chase field) can be closed to avoid direct sunlight on the ice just prior to the game being played. If they gave away really cheap tickets, had awesome food/in game entertainment etc... this could be a big deal for the Coyotes. Just make it more about selling the game of hockey than anything else.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
This is true.
Also fixed what you said.

Thanks for the correction, that was a serious error.

---

I would eventually like to see a stadium game in AZ but a few years down the road after the fan base gets repaired and stronger. I would really hate for them to host it and only 15,000 or 20,000 people show up.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the correction, that was a serious error.

---

I would eventually like to see a stadium game in AZ but a few years down the road after the fan base gets repaired and stronger. I would really hate for them to host it and only 15,000 or 20,000 people show up.

You really think that would happen Super Bowl week? I gotta say I am surprised by the negative response to this. I would think anything to grow the game in Phoenix you guys would be all for.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That was my initial thought "great... another chance for this pathetic fanbase to embarrass itself." However the idea of having it in town during a Superbowl weekend would certainly raise the potential of selling tickets.

That was my initial thought to, but if we could fill the stadium, then we could finally give all the Canadian media the middle finger. I'm Canadian, but I would be first in line. Redemption baby!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You really think that would happen Super Bowl week? I gotta say I am surprised by the negative response to this. I would think anything to grow the game in Phoenix you guys would be all for.

All the media would be focused on the Super Bowl and not the NHL.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So far I think they have always been played outdoors??? So like getting back to it's roots. I think Vancouver will be first one inside. For me personally I have nice seats in a comfy arena right now. I just don't see the draw personally for crappy seats in a huge place where I will barely be able to see the game. The outdoor game is a gimmick but it's about going back to the roots for some people. Not many grew up skating indoors in a baseball stadium.

Everybody else has, so why shouldn't we?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
God I hate the Business of Hockey forum so much. "Could they even fill it up even if they gave away free tickets?"

Just thank them for coming on down to visit us, giving us their money, and sitting on their hands for 3 hours watching their team get beat, as has happened so often recently. (If I counted right, Tippett's 21-6-4 against Canadian teams at home in PHX)

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I have not read the article, but the assumption may be that we would be better off having this at UoP Stadium. Actually, I think this could work out fine, and the best place to hold it would actually be at Sun Devil Stadium.

The reasoning would be that even with the outdoor game experience - all other venues would not be a "true" outdoor experience at either Chase Field or UoP Stadium.

The other advantage for Sun Devil Stadium would be the perspective that people in the East Valley who would be less likely to attend a game in Glendale would be more open to attending this game with far less of a drive time, etc.

Plus, by the time we would have this game, Sun Devil Stadium would also have put up its shade screens, which would help if the sun was shining brightly on the day of the game.

AZPenguins

Aug 25, 2009
Tempe, AZ
All the media would be focused on the Super Bowl and not the NHL.

You don't think any of the bored media people in New York this year will be writing stories about the Stadium Series that will be going on there? For the NHL, and Phoenix, ANY mention by national media during Super Bowl week would be big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad