Coyotes Fans Only: Is Tippett(coaching staff) the Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I voted even though Tippett is doing his damnedest to make the Coyotes not be my favourite team. Does it still count?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We have stunk for the past five years.

Coaching staff, Doan, Smith and OEL are the only things here for the past five years. Smith missed time and OEL and Doan have looked to be themselves.

Sort of tells me the problem lies on the coaching staff.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I mostly object to the "THE" in "the problem" so I won't vote for it. But the coaching staff is "a" problem.

I wanted him fired for other reasons (you can check the last poll on the subject). Never been a huge believer in coach blame game for on-ice/field reasons in most circumstances. I didn't ( and don't) think Hale was a huge determining factor in the Diamondbacks suckitude either so if I'm wrong on this at least I'm consistent. Tip isn't going anywhere of course so we'll never get to see it proven out with the same roster.

Though I think it is important to note that one of the old refrains on being against firing him for on-ice reasons was that he hadn't delivered a team under expectations. Regardless of if that was disputed or not in the past, there's no question it's true as of right now even allowing for some sample size issues.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You just have to be THAT guy, don't you... ;)

Nah, that's pretty much the same thing I thought. It's *a* problem but there are other big problems.

This seems more like rt creating a poll after a few rounds with his latest bottle of scotch, with the purpose being to beat up on the coach. :laugh: Who has indeed become the post-Moss/Chip punching bag, until further notice.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I believe Tippett should've been fired in the offseason but this roster is still pretty bad. I'll lean more towards the coaching staff is the main problem but the roster doesn't help.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Nah, that's pretty much the same thing I thought. It's *a* problem but there are other big problems.

I'd agree that there are certainly *other* problems. I just think the coaching staff is the overriding issue facing the team at the moment. There's lots of disfunction, but so much revolves around our coaching philosophy ("not a development league"). Critical problem that was easy to remove. Instead we have meddling owners and extended him. Wait, is ownership an option for the poll? There's a tie-in ;) historically it's a lot easier to fire a coach than get someone to buy this team, though. Sooo...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I believe Tippett should've been fired in the offseason but this roster is still pretty bad. I'll lean more towards the coaching staff is the main problem but the roster doesn't help.

I don't think we're a playoff team with a different coach, but I think we'd be better longterm, and short term we literally could not sink lower in the standings. I think that's the worst part. We coach as though this game is a game seven and ignore development opportunities, and we're still awful. If we were at the bottom of the standings and looked to be remotely interested in development, I'd be okay. Instead, we're watching a repeat of the past 5 yrs.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
The thing that cements it for me is that I don't believe we are a playoff team but I certainly believe we should be exciting to watch. If he'd just play our most talented players and structure the lines to create more offense and puck possession, this team would be very fun to watch. Just like keeping Domi and Duclair apart, Tippett seems to do everything possible to stifle the offense and shoot for a 1 - 0 game every night. His structure keeps the team on it's heals and we wind up playing the same, majority of the game in our own zone strategy, we've been playing since Tippett got here. Not only is it barely watchable, it's out of date and losing hockey in today's NHL.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You have to look at tonight and ask yourself if he's really coaching like a man with a massive extension and a team that is rebuilding.

His mindset hasn't changed from the first game he ever coached here.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
This team has better talent than in previous years and we are literally the worst team in the NHL. We are on schedule to be out of the playoffs for the 5th straight season. At some point this ownership group needs to wake up and see that Dave Tippett has been the common denominator. Like someone else said, this roster may still struggle to make the playoffs, but it should be playing a way more exciting brand of hockey. They are flat out boring and not worth the time or $$$$ to watch them live.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
As I've said previously, I'm willing to give DT some slack through the 2018-19 season. If we don't make the playoffs by then, change coaches.

Right now we are in full rebuild mode with the youngest and most inexperienced team in Yotes history.

I am more excited and optimistic about this team that ever before, but yes, this year will probably continue to suck, although if Smitty stays healthy I say he steals some games that otherwise would have gone in the L column

We will be sellers at the deadline, and draft high next summer (maybe #1 :naughty:).

3sj0qk.jpg

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Through the first 15 games of the season:

Domi 15gp 1g
Duclair 15gp 1g
Doan 15gp 1g
Dvorak 12gp 1g
Strome 6gp 0g

Awful, just an abomination. Who would think we would have a start like this? How many of you predicted this?

For me, how do we rationalize scratching Strome and keeping him stagnant in the press box when the rest have performed so appallingly? We're last place in the league and our top three scorers have one goal each through 15 games.

As someone else pointed out, what's the worst that can happen? We keep losing?

We have talented players - some requiring development, some requiring a fire to be lit under them. However, there is a cancer on this team and it begins with the guy behind the bench.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Extremely false dichotomy here.

How about something more specific?

Is Tippett(and his staff) helping or hurting the future of the franchise?

Should Dave Tippett(and his staff) have been fired along with Maloney?

Should Dave Tippett(and his staff) be fired despite their new extensions?

I worded the OP lazily. It was late. I had quite a bit of whiskey in my belly.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Tippet does not play his players to their strengths.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I will continue to beat the dead horse and say it's the system that's the problem. You see Tippett constantly changing up the lines and responsibilities because he seems to believe that eventually he will get the right pegs in the right holes to execute his system properly.

The other 29 (soon to be 30) teams in the league know exactly what's coming in every one of our games, and the teams that have any talent to speak of shut us down with embarrassing ease.

We could sign Sidney Crosby or we could have drafted Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid and they'd all have suffered the same fate in this system.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
How about something more specific?

Let's do it.

Is Tippett(and his staff) helping or hurting the future of the franchise?

Too early to tell for sure, but this season has been rough. Had you asked me at the end of last season, given how Domi, Duclair and Martinook performed and were deployed, I would have been optimistic. I would be more optimistic this year if we had a greater sense of what the plan is or even more confidence that there is a plan at all, but such is life following a team with abysmal media coverage.

It has been a mixed bag this season. I have no clue what's going on with Strome, and I think Crouse is being stunted. Chychrun and DeAngelo have been stellar. Dvorak looks exactly as I have expected him to and is likely just in Tucson because he's the easiest one to send there, and I'm sure he'll be back in Glendale soon enough. Martinook has obviously taken a next step, while Duclair is firmly in sophomore slump territory at the moment. I suspect Domi's shots will start going in soon, but he's on pace to exceed his points total from last year anyway. Tippett deserves some credit for Rieder, too.

So in short: I'm definitely not happy about how this year is going. My main worry is that they are onboarding to many players at once, without a coaching staff that has shown much facility in developing offensive talent and without enough of a steadying veteran presence on the roster. I'm just not yet sure it's the disaster the hivemind has decided it is.

Should Dave Tippett(and his staff) have been fired along with Maloney?

I don't think so, though it's tough to answer without knowing who would have replaced them. With the youngest GM in league history and a ton of first- and second-year players, adding a whole new coaching staff on top of it could have meant complete disarray. Keeping Tippett was the safe, conservative choice. Which coaches have a strong reputation for developing young talent anyway? And were any of them available?

Should Dave Tippett(and his staff) be fired despite their new extensions

Not yet. Let's at least see how this year goes. I was satisfied last year, but this is one is a much bigger and more important challenge. As I've said before, the staff should be judged this year not on wins and losses but on how the young players develop. That's not something that can be assessed in any meaningful way after 15 games.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I agree coaching is not the only problem, so the poll isn't quite fair, but it's the biggest one imo. I don't think we'd be a playoff team with a different staff necessarily, but I think we could easily be better, or developing our young talent better, or likely both.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just got done watching the frankly outstanding feature Sportsnet did on Chayka (h/t Mosby for posting in the other thread), and I'm struck by the irony that the Coyotes are doing so many non-traditional things - from a kid GM to hiring Dawn Braid to the "creative financing" they're planning to use in Tempe :sarcasm: - and yet they have a coaching staff that promulgates some extremely conventional tactics. You have to wonder why the franchise is so willing to take a risk to innovate everywhere but where it counts - on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad