Confirmed with Link: Coyotes extend Jay Varady for 3 Years. Back as Head Coach in Tucson.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
We let Strome stew in the AHL and OHL and it did nothing for him and actively made his bad habits worse and didn't prepare him at all for the pace of the NHL. We didn't even attempt to put him in a position to succeed or give him any significant time with good players in the NHL. There was pretty much just the time where he got 8 or 9 points in 9 games playing with Schmaltz and then got sent down again and traded the next season. .
He did?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We let Strome stew in the AHL and OHL and it did nothing for him and actively made his bad habits worse and didn't prepare him at all for the pace of the NHL. We didn't even attempt to put him in a position to succeed or give him any significant time with good players in the NHL. There was pretty much just the time where he got 8 or 9 points in 9 games playing with Schmaltz and then got sent down again and traded the next season. Then he goes to Chicago and puts up 51 in 58 playing with Debrincat and Kane, and while his production is down he's a hell of a lot more valuable now than he ever was with us.

It could be a totally different situation but we've jerked around Hayton a lot and he hasn't gotten a ton of playing time *anywhere*. Which is mostly Tocs fault. But we've seen this with a lot of our prospects, though to be fair a lot of our prospects haven't had a whole ton of success elsewhere either.

He, uhh, got traded for Schmaltz.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hayton needs to be a top six forward with power play time. Whether that’s in the NHL or AHL is up to him.

I feel Hayton will push hard for a spot in camp on merit. AT is capable of working with guys and helping them improve every day. Rick Tocchet was f***ing clueless at integrating Tucson players. Hayton has very obvious top 6 skill and hockey IQ, he just needs to get in the game flow in a system that is coached competently.

Hayton, Soderstrom, and Jenik probably make the big club based on merit and need. Soderstrom in particular. He's ready.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel Hayton will push hard for a spot in camp on merit. AT is capable of working with guys and helping them improve every day. Rick Tocchet was f***ing clueless at integrating Tucson players. Hayton has very obvious top 6 skill and hockey IQ, he just needs to get in the game flow in a system that is coached competently.

Hayton, Soderstrom, and Jenik probably make the big club based on merit and need. Soderstrom in particular. He's ready.
If it’s merit that’s fine. But I’m not okay with Hayton and Jenik getting 8mins per night and only playing half the games. Same with Soderstrom but 12mims. I’m not okay with them being the worst or least trusted or least played players on the team. They’d be better off as the three best and most important players in Tucson.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I agree although he got traded for Schmaltz.

He, uhh, got traded for Schmaltz.

LMAO my bad I meant Keller. Should've taken that nap before posting.

I basically agree with RT, except I think at least 2/3 of those guys are ready to see top 6 NHL time. We're quite possibly losing Kessel and Garland (which I hope we don't) and I'd much rather see those guys given time than sign or trade for another aging top 6 forward who's going to pay the Coyotes tax and take at least a season to adapt (also hoping this doesn't happen with any of our current players). I'd also love it if Hayton took the C spot away from Schmaltz because Schmaltz is much better on the wing anyways and Dvorak is our only real top 6 C. I'd much rather see them played 20m a game in Tucson than 12m a game in the NHL, but I'm also hoping we don't have a Toc style coach and they get played at least 15m a game in the NHL.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Bottom line is there was no reason Hayton should have ever played less or been benched for guys like Brassard this past season. That kind of stuff can’t happen again and I hope Tourigny approaches it right

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it’s a big mistake to leave a spot open for Hayton or Soderstrom. They should be looking to fill roster spots with vets in Glendale and kids in Tucson. When Hayton can show he’s Tucson’s best forward, then we can give him a shot. Same with Soderstrom and the blueline.

Yes. Let’s do this right for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad