Confirmed with Link: Coyotes expand coaching staff

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So Van Ryn takes over the spot left vacant by Steve Sullivan after his promotion. And now we get exclusive access to Dawn Braid. Nice! No idea what to make of the Potvin hiring. I don't understand who he is or what the job is.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So Van Ryn takes over the spot left vacant by Steve Sullivan after his promotion.

Sully's still around:

Van Ryn will assist Coyotes Director of Player Development Steve Sullivan in amateur player development as well as in working with coaches and players in Tucson (AHL) during the season.

No idea what to make of the Potvin hiring. I don't understand who he is or what the job is.

This'll be the job:

Potvin’s main focus will be player assessment and individual skill improvement.

...so probably letting guys like Playfair concern themselves with strategy and tactics and getting young guys to sand off the rough edges of their techniques.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well they probably opened up the wallet for that one so good on them. No doubt a Strome specific play, not that she wouldn't be helpful to have around for other players as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sully's still around:

This'll be the job:

...so probably letting guys like Playfair concern themselves with strategy and tactics and getting young guys to sand off the rough edges of their techniques.

I read the article. I know Sullivan is around but wasn't he promoted? Isn't this his old job? And I still don't understand what Potvin is doing. I know what it says I don't know what it means. I'm dim. I need more words. Journalism is just tweets now.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I read the article. I know Sullivan is around but wasn't he promoted? Isn't this his old job? And I still don't understand what Potvin is doing. I know what it says I don't know what it means. I'm dim. I need more words. Journalism is just tweets now.

No, Sullivan wasn't promoted. So Van Ryn is his new assistant; my guess is that he's going to be doing the more day-to-day and on-ice evaluations and coaching with the Roadrunners while Sullivan does the high-level stuff.

As for Potvin, it seemed to me that he's going to be working one-on-one or in small groups with the players during practices to tweak their techniques at a granular level. I think it's pretty clear that last year our forwards and defensemen had some pretty elemental errors in how they tried to execute the strategic and tactical plans the coaching staff laid out. So Dawn Braid is going to work on getting them skating better, and Potvin is going to run them through more drills, point out how many more inches they need to move their stick blades, get them to take the extra stride rather than lean over and wave weakly at an attacker, etc.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Braid hiring is fantastic. Because as others have mentioned, she can now only work for us and no longer help other teams. She's the coach responsible for improving Tavares's skating. Also currently working with Strome.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No, Sullivan wasn't promoted.

But he was.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=883810

The Coyotes also announced that Steve Sullivan has been promoted to Director of Player Development and has signed a multi-year contract extension.

Sullivan will continue to oversee Coyotes amateur player development in addition to working with coaches and players in Tucson (AHL) during the season.

The job functions may be similar, but the title is different.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Really was no excuse to not have a full time skating coach before this. May as well go out and get one of the best.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Great hire. She might have as much to do with Strome's future success as any coach on the payroll.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
First Chayka, now Dawn. I love the progressive mindset this management has. My brother has loved this team for years, and I think I might come aboard now.

The Devils are still first for me, but I might be coming around here a bit this season. Looks like it's going to be a fun one!

rt

May 13, 2004
No, Sullivan wasn't promoted. So Van Ryn is his new assistant; my guess is that he's going to be doing the more day-to-day and on-ice evaluations and coaching with the Roadrunners while Sullivan does the high-level stuff.

As for Potvin, it seemed to me that he's going to be working one-on-one or in small groups with the players during practices to tweak their techniques at a granular level. I think it's pretty clear that last year our forwards and defensemen had some pretty elemental errors in how they tried to execute the strategic and tactical plans the coaching staff laid out. So Dawn Braid is going to work on getting them skating better, and Potvin is going to run them through more drills, point out how many more inches they need to move their stick blades, get them to take the extra stride rather than lean over and wave weakly at an attacker, etc.

Sullivan was promoted. The article doesn't call Van Ryn an assistant. He's got Sullivan's old job.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great hire. She might have as much to do with Strome's future success as any coach on the payroll.

Yup. Do you think it is to late to help Z?:laugh:

First Chayka, now Dawn. I love the progressive mindset this management has. My brother has loved this team for years, and I think I might come aboard now.

The Devils are still first for me, but I might be coming around here a bit this season. Looks like it's going to be a fun one!

With all the personal that have been hired, it just shows that this franchise was running bare bones. Nice to see progress being made and now maybe we can operate on the same playing field as other teams.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Dawn Braid was considered like, the absolute best freelance skating coach right? Or have I just read too many Tavares articles?

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

I see it as hiring the best you can get. If there was a female that could be drafted as a player or one that gets hired to fill a position, I'd rather they get the best. Not a friend of a friend or some "diversity" hire; get the person that puts you in the best position to win. Sounds like she's the skating coach gold standard, so well done. I'll expect to see some regular Ice Capades out there this season. ;)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Wow we got dawn braid just for ourselves? Isn't she considered the best skating coach?
Yeah, very cool.

Sullivan was promoted. The article doesn't call Van Ryn an assistant. He's got Sullivan's old job.
Silly thing to argue about, but the way I read it was "we now have a couple of development coaches and Sullivan is the overlord of that whole department.

Mike van Ryn was a damn good defenseman for a lot of years in the league, and he had good results coaching Kitchener last season. Between DeAngelo, Wood, Tinordi, Mayo, Mermis and Hache in Tucson + Chychrun, Dineen, Capobianco and Clifton in junior hockey, a dedicated defensive guy alongside Sullivan certainly won't hurt. Salary + expenses sets the team back ... $150k a year? Maybe $200k if he flies around a TON? If he helps just one of DeAngelo, Wood, Chychrun and Dineen break good, that's excellent value.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
More hires:

Jim Hammett - amateur scout, WHL

Rick Beckfeld - amateur scout, Minnesota

Sergei Kuznetsov - scout, Russia

Brett Stewart - European Player Development Coach

Brad Rossen - Director of Statistical Science

Al Ambrosia - Hockey Ops Coordinator

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Nice move to add a scout in the WHL this year.

I really like the idea of spending money on organizational depth rather than tossing a bunch of money at a 3C during free agency. Spend money on the roster when our kids need contracts and we are a true competitor.

All of the staff moves this summer is a great sign that they are ready to invest more into the team. An arena announcement could make this the best offseason yet but everything is looking brighter and brighter.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Nice move to add a scout in the WHL this year.

I really like the idea of spending money on organizational depth rather than tossing a bunch of money at a 3C during free agency. Spend money on the roster when our kids need contracts and we are a true competitor.

All of the staff moves this summer is a great sign that they are ready to invest more into the team. An arena announcement could make this the best offseason yet but everything is looking brighter and brighter.

Yeah this has been a very good off season so far. Arena deal would definitely lock up best off season ever(for clarity, a real arena deal not, like we know where, or we have options, a real deal in place).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad