Coyotes drafting history

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
I was looking at the draft day video the other day of the famous 2003 draft and was wondering where was the coyotes 1st round pick. So after looking into it I found that the coyotes had traded 2003 1st (Jeff Carter) and a 2002 2nd (Dan spang) for daymond langkow. and then I wondered where our 2nd round pick had gone, ( ference for hordichuk and 2003 2nd). Now fair enough langkow had 3 50 point seasons but giving up on Jeff Carter or even the other picks in that first and second round, so it got me thinking how bad was our drafting in the years since the coyotes was moved. Well it's not good reading... Up until 2004

This is 1st and 2nd round picks that Iam mainly looking into.

1996 we drafted Dan focht 11th We could of drafted marco strum.....
But we did draft Daniel briere at 24th so fair play.

1998 we drafted desrochers 14th we could of drafted regehr, Scott Gomez or gagne
We picked ossi vaananen at 43rd and passed on Mike fisher at 44th or Ribero at 45

1999 we picked Scott Kelman 15th and Barrett jackman went 17th
Also krill safronov was our 19th and we passed on boynton and havlet.

2000 krys kolanos 19th and passed on frolov 20th and kronwall 29th
Also 53rd we picked Alex tatarinov and missed on vermette at 55th and Paul Martin at 62nd

2001 11th pick was sjostrom and passed hamhuis at 12 and hemsky at 13th
31st pick Matt spiller and 32nd was Derek Roy

2002 Jakob koriers was 19th was we passed Daniel paille
Ben eager at 23rd and cam ward went 25th
Also David leneveu 46th and Duncan Keith went 54th

2003 no first or second round pick oh dear....

Now after 2003 we start to draft better

2004 Blake wheeler 5th overall but we know what happened after that.

2005 hanzel 1st round and yandle 4th BUT picked goalie pier-Oliver pellitier at 59th and jonathon quick went 72nd

2006 Peter mueller 8th but missed on frolik 10th/ bernier 11th/ grabner 14th.
Summers at 29th pick Jamie McGinn went 36th.

2007 turris 3rd overall ( was a set in stone pick) but missed on couture 9th and shattenkirk 14th
Plus pick Nick Ross at 30th and pk subban went 43rd

2008 boedker 8th overall karlssen went 15th
We picked Staal at 49th and stephan went 51st and hamonic 53rd.

2009 oel was picked at 6th overall ........ Nuff said

2010 gormley went 13th( now remember he had dropped from top 5 mock draft with most experts) and tarasenko went 16th
Also we pick domingue in the 5th round.

2011 Murphy 20th pick

2012 Samuelson and martinook were picked

2013 domi at 12 and dauphin at 39

2014 we got perlini at 12, now solid pick at the time but Larkin went 15th

2015 strome, merkley and Fischer

And to finish

2016 Keller and chychrun...

Now the last 3 years draft picks can't be assessed yet but think after 2003 we actually started to draft good nhl players, now you can't blame the scouts for all the pick and other teams passed on the highlighted players as well but some of the pre 2003 picks where shocking to say the least.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Are we really playing Monday morning quarterback on drafts 10+ years old on scouting staffs thrice completely removed?

2003 entry draft represents the low point in franchise history and set franchise back a decade. Cliff Fletcher was awful.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It's a good thing the previous three drafts have been so good or we would have possibly looked at 2010 like another 2003 which set the franchise back a decade. Tons of good players taken in 2010 and we got almost nothing out of it aside from a guy who's upside is realistically an average NHL goaltender

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It's a good thing the previous three drafts have been so good or we would have possibly looked at 2010 like another 2003 which set the franchise back a decade. Tons of good players taken in 2010 and we got almost nothing out of it aside from a guy who's upside is realistically an average NHL goaltender

We don't know how good these past few drafts have been yet. They're promising, but every draft looks promising only a couple years out.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Are we really playing Monday morning quarterback on drafts 10+ years old on scouting staffs thrice completely removed?

2003 entry draft represents the low point in franchise history and set franchise back a decade. Cliff Fletcher was awful.
None of the Coyote 2003 draft picks played a single game in the NHL.

Others were more successful as example Chicago drafted Crawford and Seabrook. Anaheim Getzlaf/Perry. Pavelski, Bergeron, Parise, Burns, Suter, Carter, Kesler, Weber, Backes and so on all drafted in 2003.

2003 was absolute rock bottom.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
A lot of teams would have liked redos on their picks from 1996-2002. For whatever reason, those drafts weren't particularly great. Especially 1996. I remember scouts dreading that year while noting that Chris Phillips would have been closer to #10 in a normal draft.

Drafting teenagers is tough. Not everybody, especially goalies, are close to being finished products. If you ever want to have a laugh, dig up an Ottawa article from 2008 when a lot of the locals were pissed that they "reached" for Karlsson.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I seem to recall that Wayne Gretzky contacted Patrick O'Sullivan at some point during the 2003 Draft. O'Sullivan tumbled from being a likely late first rounder into the end of the second round. Gretzky apparently told O'Sullivan that they would have drafted him had they had a pick.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
All teams that struggle for several years can point to bad drafting and poor development.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We don't know how good these past few drafts have been yet. They're promising, but every draft looks promising only a couple years out.

Yeah, but the pool is stocked at least. We actually have assets of value right now. So if Domi takes the next step and becomes a star, and Strome and/or Dvorak come flying out of the gate and we have a good year, we are in a position to do an LA and sell some top end assets for more veteran, developed players to make multiple runs at the cup

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I have the extreme urge to parenthetically add in the thread title (It's bad).
Really not necessary. It'd be like saying "Lucy Pinder (she's pretty)" or "Arizona August (it's hot)" or "Why do we cheer for this sorry-ass hockey team? (we're dumb)"

There will always be highs and lows when you're trying to predict the future, but the two most important pieces are 1) not trading away your picks and 2) being patient with their development. As long as we do that, hopefully we'll be able to celebrate 2026 with a thread titled "Coyotes drafting history (how we built a Cup dynasty)"

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I remember analysing the Coyotes drafting and it's not as bad as most think. I posted the results on here a few years ago. I think we ended up 17th or 19th overall. Similarly Detroit were not as good as their reputation. San Jose and Montreal came out on top. You have to compare to 29 other teams before condemning it. In isolation, a draft record means little.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Really not necessary. It'd be like saying "Lucy Pinder (she's pretty)" or "Arizona August (it's hot)" or "Why do we cheer for this sorry-ass hockey team? (we're dumb)"

There will always be highs and lows when you're trying to predict the future, but the two most important pieces are 1) not trading away your picks and 2) being patient with their development. As long as we do that, hopefully we'll be able to celebrate 2026 with a thread titled "Coyotes drafting history (how we built a Cup dynasty)"

(We're dumb) gave me a good chuckle.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I remember analysing the Coyotes drafting and it's not as bad as most think. I posted the results on here a few years ago. I think we ended up 17th or 19th overall. Similarly Detroit were not as good as their reputation. San Jose and Montreal came out on top. You have to compare to 29 other teams before condemning it. In isolation, a draft record means little.

But you also have to compare to draft position and team success. It's one thing to be 19th overall. It's quite another to have had virtually no success to speak of floating around at mediocrity while being 19th overall.

Or another way to look at is something I saw on the mainboard:
NHL #1 Centers Ranked

I'm sure someone will quibble with the rankings, I probably would if I looked closer. But it's pretty hard to argue we aren't bottom 3. And even if we still had Kyle Turris that still puts us bottom 10. You can't be the Coyotes (even the pre-bankruptcy Coyotes) and outright fail to acquire top end talent for as long as they did and be considered anything other than an outright failure.

Looking at the more commonly used metrics like NHL games played by draft picks/position can be worthwhile but I don't think it's all that useful over a long period of time. The impact of the player and the position they play matters a lot. Not getting a #1 C or a #1 D for over a decade is the kiss of death to a cash poor team. And here we are.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Incredibly vague and sourceless memory: a journalist covering a Canadian franchise once compared the franchise's draft choices with what the team could have picked had they not scouted and simply taken the player with the most points available with each pick. And it was bad.

I often wondered if we wouldn't have been better off with that method than our scouting. We seem to be on the upswing, however, so that's encouraging.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was looking at the draft day video the other day of the famous 2003 draft and was wondering where was the coyotes 1st round pick. So after looking into it I found that the coyotes had traded 2003 1st (Jeff Carter) and a 2002 2nd (Dan spang) for daymond langkow. and then I wondered where our 2nd round pick had gone, ( ference for hordichuk and 2003 2nd). Now fair enough langkow had 3 50 point seasons but giving up on Jeff Carter or even the other picks in that first and second round, so it got me thinking how bad was our drafting in the years since the coyotes was moved. Well it's not good reading... Up until 2004

This is 1st and 2nd round picks that Iam mainly looking into.

1996 we drafted Dan focht 11th We could of drafted marco strum.....
But we did draft Daniel briere at 24th so fair play.

1998 we drafted desrochers 14th we could of drafted regehr, Scott Gomez or gagne
We picked ossi vaananen at 43rd and passed on Mike fisher at 44th or Ribero at 45

1999 we picked Scott Kelman 15th and Barrett jackman went 17th
Also krill safronov was our 19th and we passed on boynton and havlet.

2000 krys kolanos 19th and passed on frolov 20th and kronwall 29th
Also 53rd we picked Alex tatarinov and missed on vermette at 55th and Paul Martin at 62nd

2001 11th pick was sjostrom and passed hamhuis at 12 and hemsky at 13th
31st pick Matt spiller and 32nd was Derek Roy

2002 Jakob koriers was 19th was we passed Daniel paille
Ben eager at 23rd and cam ward went 25th
Also David leneveu 46th and Duncan Keith went 54th

2003 no first or second round pick oh dear....

Now after 2003 we start to draft better

2004 Blake wheeler 5th overall but we know what happened after that.

2005 hanzel 1st round and yandle 4th BUT picked goalie pier-Oliver pellitier at 59th and jonathon quick went 72nd

2006 Peter mueller 8th but missed on frolik 10th/ bernier 11th/ grabner 14th.
Summers at 29th pick Jamie McGinn went 36th.

2007 turris 3rd overall ( was a set in stone pick) but missed on couture 9th and shattenkirk 14th
Plus pick Nick Ross at 30th and pk subban went 43rd

2008 boedker 8th overall karlssen went 15th
We picked Staal at 49th and stephan went 51st and hamonic 53rd.

2009 oel was picked at 6th overall ........ Nuff said

2010 gormley went 13th( now remember he had dropped from top 5 mock draft with most experts) and tarasenko went 16th
Also we pick domingue in the 5th round.

2011 Murphy 20th pick

2012 Samuelson and martinook were picked

2013 domi at 12 and dauphin at 39

2014 we got perlini at 12, now solid pick at the time but Larkin went 15th

2015 strome, merkley and Fischer

And to finish

2016 Keller and chychrun...

Now the last 3 years draft picks can't be assessed yet but think after 2003 we actually started to draft good nhl players, now you can't blame the scouts for all the pick and other teams passed on the highlighted players as well but some of the pre 2003 picks where shocking to say the least.

It seems like their were many years when we did not draft well. In many of those years, you have listed players we could have taken that have turned into excellent NHL players. Their are plenty of players taken ahead of our picks in pretty much every year that have been busts too. It seems as though drafting is getting better, but time will tell. Many of the kids in our system won't be NHL or very good NHL players, just hard to say.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Incredibly vague and sourceless memory: a journalist covering a Canadian franchise once compared the franchise's draft choices with what the team could have picked had they not scouted and simply taken the player with the most points available with each pick. And it was bad.

I often wondered if we wouldn't have been better off with that method than our scouting. We seem to be on the upswing, however, so that's encouraging.

Bad as in it made it worse? Or made the teams scouting department look bad?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Bad as in it made it worse? Or made the teams scouting department look bad?

There was a substantial increase in NHL games played, goals, and points if they had simply taken the highest scoring prospect, as I remember it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
To be fair enough every team has busts they picked over players which later became very valuable.

As HBK, said though we screwed the pooch on 2003

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Goal is 2 players per draft to make NHL and play 200 games. Elite drafting is 3.

Is there any caveat to that, like getting at least 1 impact player every other draft or something? I mean you could draft 3 3rd and 4th liners every year but that's not going to win cups.

Though I guess that's a very basic way of looking at it because if you can get 3 NHL players each draft then you're bound to find top 6 talent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is there any caveat to that, like getting at least 1 impact player every other draft or something? I mean you could draft 3 3rd and 4th liners every year but that's not going to win cups.

Though I guess that's a very basic way of looking at it because if you can get 3 NHL players each draft then you're bound to find top 6 talent.

For sure. You need a star player at some point and drafting 3rd and 4th liners who make it ia really what killed us in late 90's. Much of that though is related to the quality of the drafts and there have been several stinkers including 96 and 2002 where we had multiple picks. Drafting is first step. We mishandled a star player in Briere who blossomed once he left and NHL opened up the speed. But I look at Brieres game and then I look at Garland and Keller who have similar skill sets and I look back at past drafts as we under appreciated historically top end skill and vision over more projectable body types to the NHL game. I'm intrigued if this change in philosophy will pay off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00