Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Development Camp - July 3-7 - Ice Den Scottsdale

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Geekie looked solid.
Why did you hate the Lamoreux pick?

There is noticeably more depth than in the past.
I wanted Lambert. The fan in me.:) I agree there is more depth, but I just don't get excited at development camps. It's nice to see the kids have a bit of fun after years of working their ass off.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Your 5,6, and 7 D are all Right shots. Any issues there? I’d rather trade Soderstrom and sign Jones. Balance things out and try our hand with some other young player or prospect that’s not Soderstrom. Or I guess we could just assign him to Tucson and make him prove himself as an elite AHL defenseman. If he can’t do that then he’s a bust anyway.
Why are you so down on Soderstrom? BA said he was their best player in Tucson last year. He got better and better when he was called up. He is still young, but this training camp and preseason is big for him no doubt. I think he deserves a chance.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
The Strome, Domi, Duclair, Murphy prospect pool was actually a very strong pool. Say what you will about the expectations, but all of the players have turned into serviceable NHL regulars who have rightfully earned millions of dollars.

That said, hard not to be excited about this prospect pool under the management and scouting department we have now. Cooley is my favorite prospect in a long time, and I reallllllly hope to see our big boys pan out. Simashev, Lamoreux, But, Geekie etc. Imagining all of them as impact players on the roster screams playoffs.

Including Hrabal. Love a top goalie prospect.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why are you so down on Soderstrom? BA said he was their best player in Tucson last year. He got better and better when he was called up. He is still young, but this training camp and preseason is big for him no doubt. I think he deserves a chance.
I’m not. I’m suggesting trading him for an equivalent piece. Wanting to trade two nickels for a dime doesn’t mean that I hate nickels and think they’re worthless.

The Strome, Domi, Duclair, Murphy prospect pool was actually a very strong pool. Say what you will about the expectations, but all of the players have turned into serviceable NHL regulars who have rightfully earned millions of dollars.

That said, hard not to be excited about this prospect pool under the management and scouting department we have now. Cooley is my favorite prospect in a long time, and I reallllllly hope to see our big boys pan out. Simashev, Lamoreux, But, Geekie etc. Imagining all of them as impact players on the roster screams playoffs.

Including Hrabal. Love a top goalie prospect.
Strome is one of the very best draft eligible prospects of the last decade. Possibly a top ten draft eligible season of the last decade. Yes he turned out to be essentially a bust. He really just didn’t improve much in any of the areas everyone expected him to. He didn’t develop. But as a 17/18 year old, he was an elite prospect when it came to projection.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I’m not. I’m suggesting trading him for an equivalent piece. Wanting to trade two nickels for a dime doesn’t mean that I hate nickels and think they’re worthless.

Strome is one of the very best draft eligible prospects of the last decade. Possibly a top ten draft eligible season of the last decade. Yes he turned out to be essentially a bust. He really just didn’t improve much in any of the areas everyone expected him to. He didn’t develop. But as a 17/18 year old, he was an elite prospect when it came to projection.
I usually agree with many of your thoughts. Strome is not a bust. 65 points in 81 games last year. He has had a decent career. Maybe a disappoitment as a coyotes draft pick at #3 but no where near a bust.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome was the perfect example of drafting by need or position than BPA..

Marner was ranked 3rd on hockey prospects Strome 6th behind Kyle Conner

good news though, they have Simashev at 5 and But at 7..

These are 18 yo. kids we are talking about here who have so much development still ahead of them who develop and mature at different times. That's why when people do redrafts for fun, it looks totally different most times. You just never know. Hope and pray.

Reactions: Edenjung

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

So, why do you want to trade him for an equivalent piece? He's a young RD and looked promising with his last call up. Who would you trade him for?

Reactions: Dr Quincy

rt

May 13, 2004
So, why do you want to trade him for an equivalent piece? He's a young RD and looked promising with his last call up. Who would you trade him for?
In this scenario we’re adding Dumba (RD) to this:

NHL Left Shot D:
  1. Moser
  2. Valimaki
AHL Left Shot D:
  1. Kolyachonok
  2. Szuber
  3. Koch
NHL Right Shot D:
  1. Durzi
  2. Brown
  3. Stecher
  4. Soderstrom
AHL Right Shot D:
  1. Kesselring
  2. Kampfer
  3. Crotty
  4. Onyebuchi

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

NHL Left Shot D:
  1. Moser
  2. Valimaki
AHL Left Shot D:
  1. Kolyachonok
  2. Szuber
  3. Koch
NHL Right Shot D:
  1. Durzi
  2. Brown
  3. Stecher
  4. Soderstrom
AHL Right Shot D:
  1. Kesselring
  2. Kampfer
  3. Crotty
  4. Onyebuchi
Where's Dumba? So you consider Soderstrom fifth on the depth chart with Dumba in the mix?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

NHL Left Shot D:
  1. Moser
  2. Valimaki
AHL Left Shot D:
  1. Kolyachonok
  2. Szuber
  3. Koch
NHL Right Shot D:
  1. Durzi
  2. Brown
  3. Stecher
  4. Soderstrom
AHL Right Shot D:
  1. Kesselring
  2. Kampfer
  3. Crotty
  4. Onyebuchi
Brown and Stetcher are veteran 6/7 guys. Soderstrom is young and has top 4 upside.

I keep Soderstrom, pair him with an experienced guy, and let him develop in the NHL.

The RHD depth is a great asset to have.

rt

May 13, 2004
Where's Dumba? So you consider Soderstrom fifth on the depth chart with Dumba in the mix?
Or even 4th is still a problem. With Dumba, we’ve got 2 NHL LD and 3 AHL LD. But we’ve got 5 NHL RD and 4 AHL RD. It’s imbalanced. If we add Dumba, I’d look to trade Soderstrom for a similar player, in terms of age, skill, and upside, who happens to be a better fit positionally. You asked for names. I haven’t thought deeply about that. A fee off the top of my head would be Rossi, Podkolzin, or Lafreniere. I’m sure there are some LD out there that would be even better.

Brown and Stetcher are veteran 6/7 guys. Soderstrom is young and has top 4 upside.

I keep Soderstrom, pair him with an experienced guy, and let him develop in the NHL.

In this scenario we’ve added Dumba. Show me how that works.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Both Brown and Stecher's contract is up after this year as well. There is not much depth on either side to be honest, and not much in the pipeline for the next couple of years.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Or even 4th is still a problem. With Dumba, we’ve got 2 NHL LD and 3 AHL LD. But we’ve got 5 NHL RD and 4 AHL RD. It’s imbalanced. If we add Dumba, I’d look to trade Soderstrom for a similar player, in terms of age, skill, and upside, who happens to be a better fit positionally. You asked for names. I haven’t thought deeply about that. A fee off the top of my head would be Rossi, Podkolzin, or Lafreniere. I’m sure there are some LD out there that would be even better.

In this scenario we’ve added Dumba. Show me how that works.
It works because Soderstrom is still the young, talented and still developing/improving RHD with upside. He is still the 3rd best option at RHD behind Dumba and Durzi. Makes for a solid RHD grouping.

Stetcher and Brown are veteran placeholders.

Who on the AHL grouping is likely to get called up? Maybe Kesselring.

As for the left side, yes that is weaker. Stetcher can play the left side until someone takes his place. Maybe 26 year old Koch Coyote earns some time with the big club (side note, it is hilarious that there is a player on the coyotes named Koch)?

All that said, if you are bound and determined to trade him, I suggest Soderstrom would get you none of the names you listed. I bet the Jets would trade you Logan Stanley though ;)

Reactions: Dr Quincy

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What is Soderstrom’s upside at this point as an undersized D? When drafted we were hoping top2-3. That’s doesn’t look like its happening. So do we want an undersized D as a bottom pairing guy? Or do we think it will work if he can develop into a top 4 guy? I personally think there is hope but I understand why we could flip this asset for the right player.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
So every D we have are playing for a new contract, that's an interesting concept to have, and we already bought out one.
Building a team from the goalie out... we've got some big holes to fill to become a playoff team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What is Soderstrom’s upside at this point as an undersized D? When drafted we were hoping top2-3. That’s doesn’t look like its happening. So do we want an undersized D as a bottom pairing guy? Or do we think it will work if he can develop into a top 4 guy? I personally think there is hope but I understand why we could flip this asset for the right player.
He is worth dick all in a trade. As it stands today, our D is weak with a capital W. Next year Brown and Stecher are both gone as well. I see no need to trade Soderstrom at the moment. BA seems to like him.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009

NHL Left Shot D:
  1. Moser
  2. Valimaki
AHL Left Shot D:
  1. Kolyachonok
  2. Szuber
  3. Koch
NHL Right Shot D:
  1. Durzi
  2. Brown
  3. Stecher
  4. Soderstrom
AHL Right Shot D:
  1. Kesselring
  2. Kampfer
  3. Crotty
  4. Onyebuchi

Moving Soderstrom because he's not Mr. Right Now doesn't make sense, at the trade deadline Brown and Stecher may well be gone and things are a lot more balanced, but more importantly, at the prospect level the script is flipped:

Left Shot D:
Simashev
Duda
Langlois
Goldsmith
Morden
Kipkie
Thomas

Right Shot D:
Lamoreux

rt

May 13, 2004
Moving Soderstrom because he's not Mr. Right Now doesn't make sense, at the trade deadline Brown and Stecher may well be gone and things are a lot more balanced, but more importantly, at the prospect level the script is flipped:

Left Shot D:
Simashev
Duda
Langlois
Goldsmith
Morden
Kipkie
Thomas

Right Shot D:
Lamoreux
He’s also been a pretty disappointing so far. These change of scenery deals sometimes work out. Not after they’re clearly busts.

Great point though. And makes me prefer the route of just sticking him in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad