Post-Game Talk: Coyotes def. Canucks - 3-2 (Kuzmenko, Pettersson)

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Well, Myers played a part in the two goals against, but Demko let in at least one softy. The team had a very difficult time scoring against a team willing to play a high pressure defense.

Maybe they'll be better next year with Hronek, but a lot of the players you see here will be back. Podkolzin busting has a huge effect on the club. How many high first round picks did the Canucks absolutely wiff on since Horvat? Pretty impressive.

The puck seemed to be jumping over Miller's stick in this one, and both Myers and Boeser looked gassed. A lot of Canucks seem to be really out of game shape, which is pretty impressive at this time of the year.

Hope they sign Wolanin

Who do you want to see gone? Boeser, Garland, or both!!?
I've given up trying to figure out what the management will do. I won't be surprised in the least to see them both back here again next year for another "fresh start"

* edit * I read that wrong and you're asking who we'd like to see gone. I don't want to get my hopes up lol

Reactions: Indiana and Play

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are reeled in by the 'Yotes......who are the big losers on the night.

A few random observations. Felt sorry for Brisebois, tied like an anvil to Myers who had another nightmarish night. He's a guy they simply have to move on from this off-season. Once his bonuses are paid on July 1st, he should be out the door. He simply doesn't skate well enough to be an everyday NHL d-man.

And speaking of skating, another guy who needs a trade is Boeser. Simply doesn't have the wheels to be anything close to a $6m winger. They'll have to eat some of that contract, but time for a change.

And finally, I can now understand why the Canucks went out and got Hronek for the PP. Let's face it....despite his brilliance, the weakest part of Hughes' game is his shot. It's a muffin from the point. And you can see that on the PP, teams are collapsing down low and giving the Hughes the time and room to do whatever he wants from the point.

Teams know that even if Hughes takes a shot; it'll be either blocked or be a can of corn for the goaltender. Canucks need somebody with a bomb from the point, who 's going to keep the penalty-killers honest.

Two PP goals by the 'Yotes, and 0-5 for the Canucks. That was the game right there. Mirrors what happened earlier in the season.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for this actually, really interesting to read, but the thing it doesn’t show is trade value, of course we look back and see some of these players not working out, but you have to also assume you trade them and get decent value still
It's a small sample but despite that I think the big takeaway is that you better be damn sure you have a slam dunk if you're going to draft a winger.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hope we see Hoglander for the last two games of the season, really sucks he got sent down, but looks like he’s making strides down there

Reactions: Indiana

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We’re going to trade Boeser, pump Beau’s value until front office signs him to a 6m x 3 year contract where he inevitably regresses and we try to dump him after a year
He can skate tho

theKRAKhouse

Jul 22, 2021
kravtsov really needs to show something soon or he's not getting the kind of contract that will keep him from going to the khl probably

podkolzin i don't get. looks great at times but has absolutely no finish and can't actually get anything done on the ice. team should probably trade him if there's anyone interested
Lol
Kids what 21. Chill bro

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
That's the best a team has played against us in a while. Surprising that the Yotes, with a bunch of retreads, is looked better than a lot of high end teams we faced lately, but they took it to us for most of the game. Penalties helped us keep it more even, but 5 on 5 Arizona was clearly the best team.

Good

Garland - kind of player that as they say, drags you into the fight. Good throughout in creating chases and led the third period rally to get back in the game. Should have had some the passes he was making around the net, put in

Beauviller - making a case that the Horvat trade , at least post deal, was even up even without the draft choice and Raty. His speed and stick work has been a key factor in the teams resurgence. Also if he was putting away all the chances and others were better burying the chances he is creating, his production would be off the charts.

Wolanin - effortlessly moving the puck out of his zone. Coaches giving him more time as his game continues at high level. Becoming a must re-sign.

Kuzmenko - more responsible defensively and his puck movement was excellent. Showed off his ability to make the tape to tape pass on the PP when given the chance.

Not Good

Dries - doesn't have the speed to play a 200 foot game. Can sometimes zip into holes to get chances but can't carry the puck through neutral zone and can't effectively backcheck. Team is generally in serious problems when he is out. This team somehow has to find a third line center. Probably the most critical need on the team.

Podkolzin - can't seem to get into any flow. Out of snyc with others and often uselessly running around. At times, he stalls out when he gets the puck and doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

Burroughs - badly slipped off in this one. Had several occasions where he down and out around his net allowing passes to be made or shots taken. Ended up losing inside position way too much. Yotes kept jamming the net and that's where Burroughs can end up having trouble.

Boeser - ugh. Put in prime position to score but was sloppy handling passes and Arizona easily got their sticks into to deflect his shot away. Garbage on defense. Worst defensive player on the team although the defensemen often end up getting blamed for his lack of coverage. He'd be struggling in the AHL with this type of play. Doubt he can be seen as scorer any longer.

Myers - Coyotes pressure forced him into difficult situations and errors. The thing that separates Myers most from being a top level d-man is his tendency to get rattled when under duress and that showed in this one. Not all bad, but a real drop off from play over last while.

Others

Pettersson - getting his points and still a key to the team success but he hasn't been his best in the last
few games. I think his line mates have been been more important in making his line dangerous. Not playing all that well on the PP.

Kravtsov - little more on the puck and at least getting the room to make some plays. Seems to be playing more directly and less with the wide circles. Reminds me of Kilmovich. High skill with good speed, but often too fancy, positionally questionable and not strong enough in one on one battles.

Lose is a win in the draft race to the bottom. In the end, however, likely make little difference. Once you get beyond fifth pick seems like you are dart tossing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
87BAFC81-32BF-454C-9DDE-C532BE3838C6.jpeg

i was like 34 goals, does that tie bure’s rookie record? so i looked it up and whoa this is eerily almost exactly bure’s rookie stat line (nhl hasn’t updated his total from tonight’s game)

1679033208385.jpeg

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
We’re going to trade Boeser, pump Beau’s value until front office signs him to a 6m x 3 year contract where he inevitably regresses and we try to dump him after a year
Haha we have the worst fanbase in the league.

Why the hell would a middle six winger with a career high 39 points get 6M??

Why not shoot for 7M while you’re at it?

Reactions: theKRAKhouse

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The stench of decay from the Benning regime won't be fully aired out until both Myers and OEL are history.

It sets the mind spinning to think that the Canucks have close to $14m a season tied up in these two guys. Some of Jimbo's trades and other UFA signing were just plain bad. But as questionable as the Sutter-Gudbranson trades; and the the $3m in contracts he handed out like candy to replacement level UFA's, nothing comes close to Myers and OEL.

These two guys just epitomize everything that was wrong about the Benning-Weisbrod reign of error. They need a fresh start somewhere else, and so do the downtrodden Canuck fan base.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The stench of decay from the Benning regime won't be fully aired out until both Myers and OEL are history.

It sets the mind spinning to think that the Canucks have close to $14m a season tied up in these two guys. Some of Jimbo's trades and other UFA signing were just plain bad. But as questionable as the Sutter-Gudbranson trades; and the the $3m in contracts he handed out like candy to replacement level UFA's, nothing comes close to Myers and OEL.

These two guys just epitomize everything that was wrong about the Benning-Weisbrod reign of error. They need a fresh start somewhere else, and so do the downtrodden Canuck fan base.

Benning was the worst GM in the league for over 5 years.

It's annoying we have donkeys around here pretending our current management is at the same level. Absolutely mindless critical thinking.

We will be paying for Benning's mistakes for a few more years unfortunately.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Not mad about the loss but f*** Tocchet for having myers out there in any high stakes situation. If you’re trying to win games and preach good habits and accountability you lose all credit putting out arguably the teams worst defenseman for every important situation. Absolute f***ing buffoonery
Chill bud.

Myers is probably the second best dman behind Hughes lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad