Coyotes Core Pieces Poll #4

#4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'll go chychrun on this one. He's probably one of the core D-men moving forward (that has played i nthe NHL so far). To me, "core" means long term and someone to build around. I don't know if Stepan will be here long and how can you really "build" around him.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I'll go chychrun on this one. He's probably one of the core D-men moving forward (that has played i nthe NHL so far). To me, "core" means long term and someone to build around. I don't know if Stepan will be here long and how can you really "build" around him.

The turn-over in NHL is fantastic. A four years span is definitively long-term, even if you disregard the possibility to add on that down the road.

Stepan was traded in to be a 1C, even if it would be a stretch. How close he is to that will decide a lot of how this team works.

And this is true even if he is replaced before those four years are gone.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I bet Zadina would be in this poll...

82f229d0f6bc1931_a84.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
No prospects in the core poll.
This is an editorial position on my part in these very seriousTM polls.

Also it seems kinda silly to call almost any prospect who isn't a 1OA talent that was just drafted a core player.
Core players aren't someone who half the board was :scared: about having too many mostly mediocre centers block him a couple weeks ago.

Core players aren't someone who you might see traded for less than the current equivalent of Rundblad and a 2nd in 6-8 months if things go sideways.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il

Also it seems kinda silly to call almost any prospect who isn't a 1OA talent that was just drafted a core player.
Core players aren't someone who half the board was :scared: about having too many mostly mediocre centers block him a couple weeks ago.

Core players aren't someone who you might see traded for less than the current equivalent of Rundblad and a 2nd in 6-8 months if things go sideways.

Maybe so, but core player also aren't middle six forwards, second pairing defensemen or goalies in my opinion. I think of core players as first line/pairing talent, either established or in potential and I still believe strome has that upside.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

“Core” is a meaningless term to me. I don’t really understand it. I’ll say that I consider Strome the 3rd most important player in the Coyotes organization. He may well bust. Nevertheless, a whole lot hinges on him. Same for OEL and Keller.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe so, but core player also aren't middle six forwards, second pairing defensemen or goalies in my opinion. I think of core players as first line/pairing talent, either established or in potential and I still believe strome has that upside.
I disagree. For me personally, a core player is a player that helps you win. He can be a third liner, a 3rd pairing etc. but is a player that you need to win. Today's core can differ from next years core because of trade, injuries age etc. We may want Strome to be a core player, but as of now he sure isn't, same for Crouse, but that could change very quickly. Take Hammer for example, he is a core player for us today, but maybe not next year. Chychrun has to prove he is not injury prone to become a core player. A core player can have different meaning to different people.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Obviously poll is closed, but I would have voted for the same person that I voted for as #3 and that was Christian Fischer.

Still not certain I understand the logic of Raanta being a core piece, considering we often talk about how goalies are not worth an early round draft pick, etc. That would suggest that a core piece would be someone who you would want for the long haul, and goalies are players who are considerably hot and cold and it has been proven often that players like Bryz or Smith are players who don't necessarily need longevity with the team.

Regarding what a core piece is, it is someone who balances out all aspects of their respective careers and what would the team look like without the player (i.e. how irreplaceable is that player?). While Chychrun and some players are fine pieces, if we somehow did not have Chychrun in one year, there are many LHD defensemen out there who can fill that role. Not saying that they would put up stats, but as an example, Chychrun is barely ahead of Connauton's PPG, so there are ways to back into finding a Chychrun replacement.

Fischer is unique, as we don't really have a true power forward anywhere in waiting. Replacing a player like that would be very hard, and frankly, I think that Fischer is the single most underrated player on our team. I am not going to use the term "unicorn" but Fischer is definitely not something that you just find out in the open. The last player that Fischer reminds me of as a right handed power forward was captain of the team and spent roughly 18 years as a core piece (Doan). So yeah, after OEL and Keller, Fischer is honestly the next best representative of a "core" piece, IMO.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Fischer could be real special. He could also be a Coyle/Nino which would be excellent. Or he could be a Pyatt. I will take Chychrun because of position until it is more clear what Fischer is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad