News Article: Coyotes bidding on 2018 World Juniors, Frozen Four

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That'd be awesome!

For what it's worth, Doan was on Burns & Gambo yesterday and mentioned that he heard a rumor that the Coyotes tried to get a Winter Classic for the same week as this year's Superbowl. The idea was to have the game while all the people were in town. The game would have been held at the Diamondbacks stadium.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Statement from the team:

The Coyotes contingent, including Andrew Barroway, Anthony LeBlanc and Don Maloney, met with USA Hockey leadership at the All-Star Game to express their significant interest in hosting the WJC in ’18, and plan to be a part of the bid process. Also, recent discussions with Arizona State University concerning the potential for games to be played at Gila River Arena as early as next year have also focused upon a joint application to host an NCAA Frozen Four tournament. Senior Coyotes leadership plan to join ASU officials at this year’s Frozen Four in Boston in April.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Good news. Since we are gonna be Edmonton it means we'll be able to see our future 2018 first overall pick up close before the draft.

:P

Assuming they win the bid of course.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
If one of these pans out, I'll be very happy because it means we'll see a few quality hockey games played at Gila in the next few years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interesting.

I really like the atmosphere of the games in Canada, though. If they advertised the **** out of it and made tickets relatively cheap, it could work in a big way. Don't you need two sheets of ice to host?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
NHL GMs, scouts, and agents everywhere are smiling. Great location that time of year.
I would think fans as well, if I'm in Canada or Northern US and I love hockey, this is the perfect excuse to get the hell out of the cold for a week and enjoy some sunshine and awesome hockey!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Wasn't this year split between TOR and MTL? Give half to the Staples Center.

Selling tickets won't be a problem at all, World Juniors is in December/January, every Snow Bird will be here. Nice little bump to Westgate / Glendale to host a dozen extra games.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My one concern would be some of the lesser matchups. Like Switzerland vs. Germany. Would that draw enough interest? You'd probably have to package the tickets with the heavyweight teams.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
My one concern would be some of the lesser matchups. Like Switzerland vs. Germany. Would that draw enough interest? You'd probably have to package the tickets with the heavyweight teams.
There were plenty of empty seats at the non-Eichel, non-Domi games last month. There are every year. And anyone who has been to Germany / Sweden knows a December Arizona vacation sits WAY better with them than a December Toronto vacation. I can't visit the Grand Canyon or Sedona without hearing German, Russian and something unintelligible and Scandinavian ...

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, the team can always make the bid for the WJC. Whether or not they will actually win that bid I'm uncertain about. You look at cities in the states that usually get it Anchorage, Boston, Minneapolis, Grand Fork, Buffalo. Cities as close to the Canadian border as possible. The WJC is my favorite tournament to watch and I would really like to see become a big thing, I don't see it happening.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Can America west arena or whatever it's called now still host hockey?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can America west arena or whatever it's called now still host hockey?

Yes.

Interesting thought: AZ wants another Superbowl in the early 2020s, and that's roughly around when the light rail will start heading out towards Westgate. It was supposedly a huge hit with visitors and they set all kinds of records that week. It would be nice if that link got expedited in the name of having a more appealing bid.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes.

Interesting thought: AZ wants another Superbowl in the early 2020s, and that's roughly around when the light rail will start heading out towards Westgate. It was supposedly a huge hit with visitors and they set all kinds of records that week. It would be nice if that link got expedited in the name of having a more appealing bid.

I wish this was a thing already to the arena. I know it would take forever to get out there, but damn it would be so nice to not worry about having to drive to games out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad