Post-Game Talk: Coyotes @ Avs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So.. he plays like a contract player.. who isn't a contract player.. thus defining him as a .. contract player? :laugh: Don't go to Thailand bro. With that logic I am unsure if you'll be spending a night with a man or a woman. :laugh:

I see him bolting to St Louis as well. I think we could maybe squeeze out a winger from them. Which would be nice given Duke's retirement, Jones drunk self and injuries that'll happen to the team.

I wouldn't say the rebuild failed. I'd say the management failed. The player we have, tho albeit some we overpaid for, are solid to build around. A core of:

Lando - Duch - XXX
XXX - Staz - XXX
XXX - ROR - XXX

EJ - XXX

Varly​

Is not a bad start. Its just the supporting cast of dmen that suck. Offense just needs better coaching. But if management is unwilling to pay to keep certain players and more importantly, unwilling to make the office/bench chances to support those players it won't matter who we have on the ice if the person behind the bench is a moron.

Don't believe me? Look at the 2004 avs. Great iced team, BAD coach..

We sit at 52 million.. I think that is too high given the talent of this team.

Didn't you want stastny gone even when he was playing good? :laugh: I always remember you calling him casper when he wasn't scoring on the road in his early days and were open to trading him then.

I been wanting him gone since about the time Stewart and Shatty got traded. Im just glad to see some other son here are finally seeing it now

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Lets trade stazz and our 1st to columbus for Murray and be done with it. :) Tired of arguing over centers that play solid or don't play at all.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
You guys easily have one of the most dynamic teams in the NHL. You guys outplayed us all night tonight, too. I bet that ref is going to lose some sleep tonight. It's hard not to like the Avs, so much potential, great history, great fans. If the Coyotes ever leave Arizona, Colorado might just be my runner up.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I wouldn't say the rebuild failed. I'd say the management failed. The player we have, tho albeit some we overpaid for, are solid to build around. A core of:

Lando - Duch - XXX
XXX - Staz - XXX
XXX - ROR - XXX

EJ - XXX

Varly​

Is not a bad start. Its just the supporting cast of dmen that suck. Offense just needs better coaching. But if management is unwilling to pay to keep certain players and more importantly, unwilling to make the office/bench chances to support those players it won't matter who we have on the ice if the person behind the bench is a moron.

Don't believe me? Look at the 2004 avs. Great iced team, BAD coach..

That's exactly what I mean when I say the rebuild has failed. Now consider the fact that in a year and a half probably neither Stastny nor O'reilly will be on this team, what exactly will we have as the fruits of our labor these past 4 years.

Duchene
EJ
Landeskog
Varly
Whatever we get back for ROR

I doubt we'll get a core player back for Stastny the way he's playing.

That's really not much. We'll be a bad team for a long, long time at this rate. But to me a big part of the problem is our **** coaching, management not being willing to pay to retain guys, overpaying in trades for two of the core pieces we do have, and most of all failing to put our young guys in a position to succeed and develop.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
But to me a big part of the problem is our **** coaching, management not being willing to pay to retain guys, overpaying in trades for two of the core pieces we do have, and most of all failing to put our young guys in a position to succeed and develop.

I don't disagree with you, I think I just would walk a different path. You wanna keep it all. I say blow it up. It won't make a difference either way cause the one constant thing that will keep us from succeeding won't change in all of that: MANAGEMENT. :nod: As long as we hire from within, its the same crap puked out over and over.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't disagree with you, I think I just would walk a different path. You wanna keep it all. I say blow it up. It won't make a difference either way cause the one constant thing that will keep us from succeeding won't change in all of that: MANAGEMENT. :nod: As long as we hire from within, its the same crap puked out over and over.

I guess blowing it up again just seems like acknowledging that this rebuild was a complete failure and a waste of four years under an unqualified coach and an unqualified general manager. Plus I find it hard to get excited about resetting our rebuild when it's going to be more of the same if they do - it'll just be Quinn/Chynoweth behind the bench and one of Lacroix's other bean counters in front office as the GM.

So I guess we see things the same way but I'd rather delusionally hope that they can somehow salvage this situation. Reality is they'll probably have to blow it up to an extent and we'll continue to be awful for the forseeable future.

Mant*

I have a bad, sinking feeling that Stastny is going to play awesome for his next team.

Of course he will... his next team will give him NHL quality linemates... something he hasn't had here for a few years.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
"Got to go out there and just play the hand you're dealt," Avs coach Joe Sacco said. "We can't worry about who's here and who's not in the lineup."

.... or who our sh*ty coach is he added

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I am bummed about this game.

And so frustrated by the increasingly obvious mediocrity of this organization, top-down.

And even more frustrated by the realization that, in all likelihood, it's only going to get worse.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I am bummed about this game.

And so frustrated by the increasingly obvious mediocrity of this organization, top-down.

And even more frustrated by the realization that, in all likelihood, it's only going to get worse.

so long as it gets bad enough to get the current coach fired I'm good with that
once that is done if we can avoid some of the injury bug that has haunted us I think we'll be in good shape going forward

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
so long as it gets bad enough to get the current coach fired I'm good with that
once that is done if we can avoid some of the injury bug that has haunted us I think we'll be in good shape going forward

I'd like to think that too but I feel like we've been saying this for a few years now.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I'd like to think that too but I feel like we've been saying this for a few years now.

true but I don't see Sucko coming back after this season and we didn't have some of the key talent we have now a few years ago (Lando, EJ, Varly, probable high draft pick in upcoming draft)

now if you are talking about the injury bug/curse I don't know how we get around that other than a magic spell/potion or cleaning house on our training staff

Coloradorov

Oct 7, 2009
Denver
Demoralizing loss. They played pretty well tonight and the atmosphere in the can was better than I expected until that last bit.

The positive is that although this team is divebombing towards next years draft and the injuries won't stop, when it is all back together and everyone is healthy and we finally get a new coach this team doesn't look too far off from a playoff darkhorse.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Demoralizing loss. They played pretty well tonight and the atmosphere in the can was better than I expected until that last bit.

The positive is that although this team is divebombing towards next years draft and the injuries won't stop, when it is all back together and everyone is healthy and we finally get a new coach this team doesn't look too far off from a playoff darkhorse.

Be careful what you wish for...the injury pile-up will only help Sacco's chances of staying aboard.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jesus Palushaj has a hell of a shot, shouldn't be playing left wing though, I'm old fashioned right handed, right wing, left handed, left wing.

We might break the record for most injuries to a starting 23 man roster in one season

Tyson Barrie sucks, please send him down to the AHL, for a guy who's supposed to be a puck-moving offensive powerplay quarterback, he doesn't join the rush nearly enough, he doesn't know how to get shots through to the net and just overall angers me with his play

Shane O'Brien played his best game of the season

Paul Stastny was once again invisible

Please buy out David Jones in the summer, along with Greg Zanon

Please also trade Ryan O'Byrne

Over-reaction? Sure, but I'm sick of watching a losing team. I understand we are going through injuries and then the 3rd was just disgusting with how many injuries occurred, but I'm just sick and tired of this team

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs

Exactly. It's the same story, over and over again. And, aside from a few guys who've been here for 4+ years (hi Paul Stastny and David Jones), it's been with a revolving door of mostly young players who we get excited about only to see them get traded, injured, or simply not develop as we expect (note: I have no idea where the O'Reilly debacle fits in that equation :shakehead). Through in a few journeyman, bottom-pairing pylons and plugs on the back-end, and what you get is a consistently fun, inconsistent, mediocre team.

The developmental trajectory of this team is just so out of whack right now.

And oh yeah, our coach still sucks.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
it's been with a revolving door of mostly young players who we get excited about only to see them get traded, injured, or simply not develop as we expect (note: I have no idea where the O'Reilly debacle fits in that equation :shakehead).

where are all these young players we are missing ... what we need Yip back?, Coen? (sure over Hunwick but what exactly is Coen doing ...not playing in the NHL), Wolski, Galiardi, ? (can't complain about the return we got for them at the time), Cumiskey? ...Shatner-Kirk and Stewart good talent for sure but we got EJ back and you have to give something good to get something good in return

as for development, development takes time and I would argue many of our players developed much faster than the average player given the ages they were thrown to the wolves

Last edited:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Sorry about the bad bounce boys.
Avs are my 2nd team after Phoenix leaves.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012
Well, to sum it up:

1st goal phoenix: Blatant Error by O'Byrne who plays the puck right to the PH player.
1st goal COL: Fine shot by Olver
2nd goal COL: Speed kills @ Duchene
2nd goal PH: Soft goalkeeping by Varlamov on that one :/
3rd goal PH (OT): Refs wanted to have a piece of the game as well ...

Anyways. We should've won 2:0 but lost 2:3 due to 3 personal breakdowns and that is something usually a coach adresses afaik? ;P

member 116861

we are not one of the most dynamic teams in the league, we are terrible and can barely ever score at all.

why would you ever want to become a new fan of this trash? the management is a joke and isnt going to improve. the roster is just going to keep treading water if not get worse due to all these injuries (Who knows how Duchene/Landeskog/Johnson will be after all these injuries).. i could go on and on about how awful the team is from top to bottom. be a fan of a real franchise instead man.

Don't listen to this guy, I don't think he has ever said anything positive. Things are looking bad right now but they will be a lot better in a few years.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I didn't watch the game, having gone to bed after the first period of the Islanders-Hurricanes match. And I am glad for that. By all accounts this would have been a tough one to see. Not only in losing as they did, but throwing away so many chances to win it. Normally one could console themselves with at least getting a point out of a losing effort, but in this case it almost adds insult to injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad