Martin Hanzal
Steven Reinprecht
Antoine Vermette
Christian Dvorak
Derek Stepan

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Has to be Hanzal, 2nd most points all time for a C. Over twice as much as Briere. Annnd we need to keep him with Vrbata and Whitney.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Has to be Hanzal, 2nd most points all time for a C. Over twice as much as Briere. Annnd we need to keep him with Vrbata and Whitney.
I’m not sure Briere played much at center here, either. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember most of his shifts coming at RW.

EDIT: I was wrong. Once he established himself full-time, he played center here.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
This one was tough for me in a way. Briere is obviously the more accomplished (in terms of career) of the two between him and Hanzal, no question. Hated that the Yotes traded him away.

Hanzal obviously played longer for the Yotes and contributed in many ways. Injury issue was just a huge drawback factor multiple times in his career. You couldn't REALLY depend on him because you never knew when he'd be out with another injury, unfortunately.

So, I go Briere because he would have absolutely dwarfed Hanzal's production with the Yotes had he not been sent away for freaking Gratton. He even spoke at Doan's number retirement ceremony so he's definitely a Yote deep down to me.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm approaching this as we get to select the best version of the player as a Coyote and IMO when healthy Hanzal was a beast, especially defensively and in the playoffs. Sucks his body couldn't keep up with his spirit, will always be one of my favorite Yotes!

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Love the way Hanzal could shut down some of the elite centers in the league and still contribute some offense.
Briere was on the Coyotes during the clutch and grab era. Had most of his goals on the power play and wasn't very effective on even strength. Of course the league did away with this strategy after Briere was traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIGs Dog

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Arguably the worst franchise in both drafting and developing players for its' entire existence.

It really is hard to be a fan of this team.

The bright side is that when you've sucked this bad for this long it's not hard to improve.

Reactions: AJ171181

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I’m not sure Briere played much at center here, either. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember most of his shifts coming at RW.

EDIT: I was wrong. Once he established himself full-time, he played center here.

My main memory is that he was used as a powerplay weapon or usually shifted to wing rather than played as a real center. He was most successful when they played him with Hanzal and Doan to cover him defensively but it hurt their production.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
We've drafted two centers at 3OA, and it feels like one of them should be here. But sniper could stretch this out to, what ... 15th line center? And Turris and Strome still wouldn't win a vote.

Voted Hanzal. For all his shortcomings, he was dominant in a way Comrie, Briere and Vermette never were.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
This one was tough for me in a way. Briere is obviously the more accomplished (in terms of career) of the two between him and Hanzal, no question. Hated that the Yotes traded him away.

Hanzal obviously played longer for the Yotes and contributed in many ways. Injury issue was just a huge drawback factor multiple times in his career. You couldn't REALLY depend on him because you never knew when he'd be out with another injury, unfortunately.

So, I go Briere because he would have absolutely dwarfed Hanzal's production with the Yotes had he not been sent away for freaking Gratton. He even spoke at Doan's number retirement ceremony so he's definitely a Yote deep down to me.

I was a high school junior the season we traded him. Found out during the lunch period about the trade. Despite not knowing the return yet, I punched (or flipped, probably punched because if I had actually flipped one I'd have gotten in a lot more trouble other than a security guard - who was in Detroit's farm system for two seasons - yell at me) and was angry for the rest of the school day. I used my snazzy AOL dialup to check the return when I got home from school, and had no idea who Chris Gratton was. I was still pissed. I still hate the trade.

Voted for Briere in the poll out of spite due to that memory, even though judging solely by his time with the Coyotes it is probably in fact Martin Hanzal.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Despite not knowing the return yet, I punched (or flipped, probably punched because if I had actually flipped one I'd have gotten in a lot more trouble other than a security guard - who was in Detroit's farm system for two seasons - yell at me) and was angry for the rest of the school day.
Name?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We've drafted two centers at 3OA, and it feels like one of them should be here. But sniper could stretch this out to, what ... 15th line center? And Turris and Strome still wouldn't win a vote.

Voted Hanzal. For all his shortcomings, he was dominant in a way Comrie, Briere and Vermette never were.
Ugh. So very sad because it's so very true.

Mike Comrie incidentally, as an off-topic hot take, is in my opinion the most underrated Coyotes (by Coyotes fans) in our entire history. Our fans, in my opinion, allowed all of the negativity from the national (canadian) press to taint their view of an incredibly hard-working, productive, gritty little power forward. Very little difference in his approach as a Coyote, and Garland's approach as a Coyotes. Comrie never got the love.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

Mike Comrie incidentally, as an off-topic hot take, is in my opinion the most underrated Coyotes (by Coyotes fans) in our entire history. Our fans, in my opinion, allowed all of the negativity from the national (canadian) press to taint their view of an incredibly hard-working, productive, gritty little power forward. Very little difference in his approach as a Coyote, and Garland's approach as a Coyotes. Comrie never got the love.

Oh man I definitely was a Comrie fan. Got a signed stick by him, too... had to choose which Yotes I wanted it from and he was the player I picked. Definitely deserved more praise for his play here.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'm not sure I'd have Briere in my top 4,

That was one of the first trades I was old enough to be mad about over though :laugh:

Comrie was oddly not terribly popular when he was here, rt is right about that. But I also don't really remember him being disliked either. Other than by maybe TGO.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

I liked Comrie when he was with the Oilers and so one day I was bored and sent an email to Doug Moss suggesting they try to trade to get Comrie from the flyers since he was in the dog house there. I left to go out on the town for a bit. Latter when I checked my email, I noticed Doug Moss had responded. He asked for my phone number. I sent it and he called me and after some small talk he asked how I knew? He explained that the trade was going down right when I had emailed him.

I had no knowledge of what was going down, it was purely coincidence, but it was pretty exciting back then. Anyway, I have stayed in touch with Doug ever since.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Vrbata-bing

Anywho, now to the #2 center.

Cliff Ronning
Daniel Briere
Daymond Langkow
Mike Comrie
Martin Hanzal
Steven Reinprecht
Antoine Vermette
Christian Dvorak
Derek Stepan
What a sad list this is, besides Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad