Vince Lodato - Director of Mental Wellbeing & Performance
Kyle McDonald - Draft Consultant, Mental Performance

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Impressive resumes here:

Mitch Stewart - Head Strength & Conditioning Coach
Stewart joins the Coyotes from London, Ont., where he worked for Total Package Hockey and the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) for the past 11 years. He managed the Knights' in-season training as the team's Head Strength & Conditioning Coach.

Ryan Wysocki - Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach

Wysocki joins the Coyotes from the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL) where he served as their Head Strength & Conditioning Coach in 2020-21. He previously spent three seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes' AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers where he served as the team's Head Strength & Conditioning Coach for three seasons including the team's 2019 AHL Calder Cup Championship season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
For a team that’s supposed broke as f***, we sure are adding a lot of staff.

BA is running the roster a little leaner than he can money wise to go out and get quality hires. The upside of hiring someone who earned their HC position like Tourigny is that he also has an extensive list of contacts that can be drawn from.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BA is running the roster a little leaner than he can money wise to go out and get quality hires. The upside of hiring someone who earned their HC position like Tourigny is that he also has an extensive list of contacts that can be drawn from.
I love the entire hockey operations/coaching staff(s) being custom assembled from top-to-bottom with having the most successful pure rebuild possible. They've hired just so, so, so many people. This huge volume of hockey hiring. And it seems like every single hire as been all about whether this candidate has the most possible experience/results/credibility with identifying, and developing young talent. Everyone they're bringing in is all about finding and helping kids for this rebuild. Meanwhile, the GM is out there acquiring literally HISTORIC amounts of draft-picks.

The Coyotes have dabbled in rebuilding but they've never done anything like this. I don't think anyone has ever done anything like this.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Impressive resumes here:

Mitch Stewart - Head Strength & Conditioning Coach
Stewart joins the Coyotes from London, Ont., where he worked for Total Package Hockey and the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) for the past 11 years. He managed the Knights' in-season training as the team's Head Strength & Conditioning Coach.

Ryan Wysocki - Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach

Wysocki joins the Coyotes from the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League (AHL) where he served as their Head Strength & Conditioning Coach in 2020-21. He previously spent three seasons with the Carolina Hurricanes' AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers where he served as the team's Head Strength & Conditioning Coach for three seasons including the team's 2019 AHL Calder Cup Championship season.
Not sure if this rebuild will work, but the people BA has brought in is really really impressive. The way it looks, AM has given BA the green light to spend money on experienced, proven FO staff. Hell, BA might be the least experienced of all of them.:)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Coyotes have dabbled in rebuilding but they've never done anything like this. I don't think anyone has ever done anything like this.

The Coyotes have, since I started following them in 2003, been run on the leanest of internal budgets. I don't know how the pre-Ellman/Moyes owners ran the organization, but Jerry Moyes was more interested in the team being a writeoff for his trucking firm than being a first-class sports franchise. Then, after the bankruptcy, Maloney basically ran the thing on a skeleton crew. I'd be surprised if we had more than five full-time scouts when he was in charge. And obviously, Anthony LeBlanc and his Kooky Klatch had no money to hire anybody but low-wage drones who were bullied around by the in-crowd in the team admin.

The sad thing is, we're all astonished at how many people are being hired when, in reality, the Coyotes are simply getting up past bare minimum. We're so used to wearing rags that we believe that clean underwear is riches.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I love the entire hockey operations/coaching staff(s) being custom assembled from top-to-bottom with having the most successful pure rebuild possible. They've hired just so, so, so many people. This huge volume of hockey hiring. And it seems like every single hire as been all about whether this candidate has the most possible experience/results/credibility with identifying, and developing young talent. Everyone they're bringing in is all about finding and helping kids for this rebuild. Meanwhile, the GM is out there acquiring literally HISTORIC amounts of draft-picks.

I agree. Our FO is starting to look the way a NHL FO and staff should look like. Twenty years of a skeleton crew and dummies in the FO. AM does want to win.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes have, since I started following them in 2003, been run on the leanest of internal budgets. I don't know how the pre-Ellman/Moyes owners ran the organization, but Jerry Moyes was more interested in the team being a writeoff for his trucking firm than being a first-class sports franchise. Then, after the bankruptcy, Maloney basically ran the thing on a skeleton crew. I'd be surprised if we had more than five full-time scouts when he was in charge. And obviously, Anthony LeBlanc and his Kooky Klatch had no money to hire anybody but low-wage drones who were bullied around by the in-crowd in the team admin.

The sad thing is, we're all astonished at how many people are being hired when, in reality, the Coyotes are simply getting up past bare minimum. We're so used to wearing rags that we believe that clean underwear is riches.
You hit the nail on the head.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Where are all of these people going to work? The lower bowels of arena were already jam-packed with staffers. Wonder if they went back to leasing external spaces for ticket sales / admin staff. Will be an even bigger issue next year if moved to VMC.

Also, Carl Bombardier… that has to be the coolest name in hockey.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Where are all of these people going to work? The lower bowels of arena were already jam-packed with staffers. Wonder if they went back to leasing external spaces for ticket sales / admin staff. Will be an even bigger issue next year if moved to VMC.

Also, Carl Bombardier… that has to be the coolest name in hockey.
Most will be on the road all year.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
How looks now first press conference BA as new GM, 1 yr ago

And about Bombardier (Quebec native), did you saw his profile, he could be fitness & strength coach as well.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
There's no reason to allow making these hires in every niche of hockey operations if Meruelo hasn't already committed to spending money on the outputs (actual players) later on. This just bodes so well that he'll open up the purse strings when we have good players that need to be resigned. It's the ideal way to build the team.

You just know that in previous ownership regimes that none of this would ever be invested in and our only chance of winning is was catching lightning in a bottle repeatedly and all at once. You can look at the numbers and say these types of positions don't require a huge commitment of money in the grand scheme of running a hockey team, but they do contribute quite meaningfully per dollar of investment. In the past there was absolutely no hope that those gains for smaller dollars would ever matter so ownership would never build up these departments, and instead just looked at these extra positions as money sinks.

It is promising that in a year in which we don't need these micro-gains in the team's performance on the ice, that they are still investing in it. To me that looks like they want everything up and ready to go for when the team is good and we can inch out these gains into wins, else why would they invest now when you could keep costs low in a down year because none of this matters right now.

Lastly, of course this all follows Meruelo's history of buying distressed assets and rebuilding them from the ground up through excellent hires and money management. It's clear he knows how to turn around a floundering business and he's provided the structure and willingness for those with hockey domain knowledge to implement the correct pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad