Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Roster Discussion Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Chychrun should absolutely be untouchable. He's 22, is top 15 in the league for D scoring and has established himself as a top pairing D. You have to have core players to build around and he is definitely one for the Coyotes. Trading a star player for multiple lesser players rarely works out.

Trading Garland would be a PR nightmare for a team that has already had their fair share. Remember that even during a rebuild, you still need fans and that is even more important for the Coyotes. Can they really afford to alienate anyone?

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Mirtle speculates on goalies the Leafs could bring in. This includes both Coyotes goalies.

Should the Maple Leafs trade for a goalie to replace Frederik Andersen? Here are 9 candidates

Antti Raanta, Arizona. Raanta has a .922 save percentage since the start of the 2016-17 season, which puts him up among the league leaders. But that’s in somewhat limited action, in large part because of a long injury history, something that has limited him to only nine games this season. It’s doubtful the Leafs would want to count on him, even as a backup, in the playoffs.

Darcy Kuemper, Arizona. Kuemper would be the No. 1 candidate here if he was healthy. Kuemper is under contract next season at $4.5 million on the cap, so he ticks off the Andersen 2021-22 replacement box not only for this season but next. Is he so much better than Andersen that he’s worth the acquisition cost, which is believed to be a first-round pick? Given where things stand with Andersen at the moment, we might be getting there. Can the Leafs be confident that he’d be able to come into this market in the middle of the season, with championship pressure on his shoulders, and perform? That’s a big unknown.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Schmaltz started the year doing quite well playing C, but since his last invisible act his C play has really not been good, including the dot. I thought maybe Schmaltz and DVO, because of their age and experience would be much less inconsistent this year, and they were, both playing well, and then they went back to their old habits. I don't understand it.
It takes time, both players need more experience at this level playing C. Wing is way easier (Keller/garland), less responsibility. For once, I hope we keep young players with upside, let them develop: Keller/Garland/Schmaltz/Chych/DVO. Then get a new coach an have some patience.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
BA said he had a 5 year plan which signals a rebuild. I thought we would re-tool but he might tear it down. If that happens I think OEL will want out.

A 5 year plan can easily become a 2 or 3 year plan if things go right with prospects.

If Hayton were a catalyst at 2C, that changes things.

For the discussion at hand for Garland, the tie in becomes that his contract will be something decent, probably around the same money we gave to Keller +/- $750k as an AAV.

While the idea is that Garland would get the greatest return, the reality is that one of Schmaltz or Keller would be the better trade candidate, even if the return is slightly less appealing.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Keller has almost the same pts. as Garland and has been playing very well. What's up with all this dumping contracts is a win. Good players get good contracts.
He’s soft. Inconsistent and is the definition of a floater. I would however be ok with keeping him under a new coaching staff.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It takes time, both players need more experience at this level playing C. Wing is way easier (Keller/garland), less responsibility. For once, I hope we keep young players with upside, let them develop: Keller/Garland/Schmaltz/Chych/DVO. Then get a new coach an have some patience.
I give kids five years, and by that time you should have a pretty good idea what kind of player they are. Both are there this year, although DVO had one season cut short due to injury. We can't keep on saying they need more experience at that age. Schmaltz and DVO are there now. I think what you see is in large part is what you can expect going forward, although I would give DVO one more year. Of course there are exceptions.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
He’s soft. Inconsistent and is the definition of a floater. I would however be ok with keeping him under a new coaching staff.
Disagree. Soft...sure...but he has not been a floater this year. I have noticed more and more of his goals this year are coming from right in front of the net. He has been going to the slot and has been rewarded. He is also shooting the puck more which I have wanted him to do for a long time.

IMO Keller is part of the solution for this team and not part of the problem.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Hayton got 3 pts in 2 games over the weekend. Everyone still given up on him as a future Coyote or think he has been irreparably ruined as a prospect? Call me delusional but I still have hope! :P

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hayton got 3 pts in 2 games over the weekend. Everyone still given up on him as a future Coyote or think he has been irreparably ruined as a prospect? Call me delusional but I still have hope! :P
It's certainly encouraging that he picked up a few secondary assists over the weekend. I'm glad it happened. But I'm not exactly planning the parade.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
I wonder if the Leafs would consider Kuemper (50%) and Raanta (50%) for Anderson and Amirov. It's cap-neutral, and removes their Anderson problem (he might be murdered by a mob of angry fans if they don't deal him), and doesn't cost them a roster piece.

Kuemper would be their starter for next season at an absolute bargain cap-hit. Meanwhile, they get both Kuemper and Raanta to go with Campbell, as major injury insurance. If one goes down, they've got the other. A good way to ensure that bad goaltending or injuries to goaltenders don't destroy their Cup chances this season.

Seems like a pretty thorough solving of a pretty major problem and it only costs them Amirov. They’re not gonna need Amirov any time soon anyway. And they can just draft another piece this off-season.

For us, we get Andersson who’s been god-awful in Toronto but very, very easily could get right back on track here in AZ, away from the pressure and media. He’s got almost no actual salary remaining, as it was all bonus money already paid. Amirov immediately becomes one of our top three prospects with Hayton and Soderstrom.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It's certainly encouraging that he picked up a few secondary assists over the weekend. I'm glad it happened. But I'm not exactly planning the parade.
Good thing they weren't all secondary then, right? Guess you can go ahead and plan the parade!!

rt

May 13, 2004
Nevermind on the Kuemper stuff. Craig’s update sounds scary AF. Don’t think he’ll be ready much before the TDL, if at all.

We REALLY shoulda traded this guy at the last draft.

Without actually knowing what the “last, best” offers were for OEL and Kuemper before the draft, I’d go back and accept both if I could. Sight unseen. Whatever those offers were, I’d take them without looking.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nevermind on the Kuemper stuff. Craig’s update sounds scary AF. Don’t think he’ll be ready much before the TDL, if at all.

We REALLY shoulda traded this guy at the last draft.

Without actually knowing what the “last, best” offers were for OEL and Kuemper before the draft, I’d go back and accept both if I could. Sight unseen. Whatever those offers were, I’d take them without looking.
You can't predict the future.

rt

May 13, 2004
He's not injured, he's pulled. As Tocchet.
LOL. Tocchet should be fired for that bullshit alone. How has he not been called out by the media for that, by the way? We’re all just pretending he didn’t take credit for Kuemper’s injury as some kind of brilliant strategic endeavor? Lol. It’s embarrassing. So embarrassing.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Every single day these guys remain on this team we increase the chances of being stuck with them into summer.

Goligoski
Raanta
Demers
Kuemper

Should have not started the season with the coyotes. What a blown opportunity

rt

May 13, 2004
LOL. Tocchet should be fired for that bullshit alone. How has he not been called out by the media for that, by the way? We’re all just pretending he didn’t take credit for Kuemper’s injury as some kind of brilliant strategic endeavor? Lol. It’s embarrassing. So embarrassing.
Nevermind. I’m confusing things. It was a Raanta injury earlier in the year he pretended was a strategic pull. Still, embarrassing AF.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Secondary assists count. At least, that's what got yelled at me over and over every time I categorized them as points inflators in past years. :D

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’m fine with secondary assists. A big sigh of relief on the Barrett Hayton front because of them feels just a tiny be premature. Lol.

Well, the good news is that, on the rare times that the Roadrunners are scoring lately, Hayton is more than likely to be involved in it.

Reactions: PuckLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad