Coyotes 10-game report card

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Our former coach used to give players a report card every 10 games, so why not steal a page from his book.

My grades are simply, A, B, C, D, F, no plus, no minus, and based on how that player has lived up to my own expectations for him.

The As - Dvorak, Garland, Keller, Schmaltz, Hjalmarsson, Demers, Kuemper

I said all summer Dvo would score 60 points this year and I believe he is showing that progress ... Garland is an Energizer bunny, he doesn't take games off and is showing top-six potential ... Keller is producing points which is what we are asking for him and playing a little more assertive too, just needs a little more finish ... Schmaltz is very engaged and playing with a lot of drive ... Hammer is Hammer, cool to see him get a goal too ... so much for slow starts for Demers who has arguably been our most consistent D ... I believe Kuemper has become our No. 1 goalie, love his big size in net.

The Bs - Crouse, Hayton, Grabner, Kessel, Soderberg, Stepan, Capobianco, Chychrun, OEL, Goligoski, Oesterle, Raanta

Love Crouse's speed and size, I believe he is playing a little under how he finished last year ... hard to give a true evaluation of Hayton given limited showings but he has shown he's close or pretty close to being ready for this level ... Grabner, still has wheels, could have a few more goals too on the many breaks ... have been surprised with Kessel's ability to set up guys, not just a goal scorer, it's going to come soon ... Soda brings a much needed size element to our lower lines, has impressed offensively ... Stepan is cast in a role that's likely above his pay grade but has shown some good early chemistry ... Limited showings but Capo can take a regular shift and is NHL ready ... Chychrun is playing a little more dominant, just needs to hit the net more ... OEL is rounding into form ... Occasional lapse with Goligoski but has had strong start offensively, good partner with Chychrun ... limited showings for Oesterle but has emerged as a regular ... have only seen one of Raanta's games but was solid in it, could benefit from playing bigger in his crease.

The Cs - Fischer

Hands aren't there but love his forechecking and early signs of a physical game.

The Ds - Richardson, Lyubyshkin

Richie is still a valuable piece of a revamped PK but has looked slower, may be pulling down linemates offensively ... Bush still has a lot of difficulty handling the puck and cannot be entrusted with regular workload.

The Fs - Hinostroza

Maybe unfair and likely dragged down by his linemates but I'm looking for more offensively from Hino, he needs to be a two/three tweener for this team.

Your grades?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This team is mostly inconsistent. Dvorak was completely invisible this game, as was Stepan. Crouse is like a dog chasing a car, he knows how to separate the man from the puck but after that he is confused. Hinostroza has been comically bad with his decision making plus he's already underwater with the linemates/duty he is drawing. Richardson was a boat anchor outside of faceoffs, Chychrun can't hit the net, OEL waited until this game to show up, Kessel is injured/weak on the puck etc...

Kuemper, Schmaltz, Demers, Soderberg, Garland, Grabner, Hayton are the only guys I have no real complaints about. They are all performing their roles and doing it well and relatively consistently. Considering the history of some of those names, that'd kind of wild.

Soda in particular has been a huge addition. The beef line (Crouse, Soda, Fischer) has been preventing teams from rolling 4 lines all over the Coyotes and is providing a much needed breather on nights where zone entries are hard to come by.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
A: Dvo, Garland, Schmaltz, Demers, Hammer

B: Goligoski, Kessel, Chychrun, Stepan, Oesterle, OEL, Hayton, Keller

C: Soda, Grabner, Fischer, Capo.

D: Crouse.

F: Hinostroza, Richardson, Lyubushkin

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This team is mostly inconsistent. Dvorak was completely invisible this game, as was Stepan. Crouse is like a dog chasing a car, he knows how to separate the man from the puck but after that he is confused. Hinostroza has been comically bad with his decision making plus he's already underwater with the linemates/duty he is drawing. Richardson was a boat anchor outside of faceoffs, Chychrun can't hit the net, OEL waited until this game to show up, Kessel is injured/weak on the puck etc...

Kuemper, Schmaltz, Demers, Soderberg, Garland, Grabner, Hayton are the only guys I have no real complaints about. They are all performing their roles and doing it well and relatively consistently. Considering the history of some of those names, that'd kind of wild.

Soda in particular has been a huge addition. The beef line (Crouse, Soda, Fischer) has been preventing teams from rolling 4 lines all over the Coyotes and is providing a much needed breather on nights where zone entries are hard to come by.
Your expectations must be way to high because your evaluations are far too critical. We are on a 100+ point pace, that is exceeding reasonable expectations for this team any way you look at it. Our D and goal tending overall has been solid, that is the key to our success. We would all like kessel/keller to get more goals and they will over time. Garland/DVO are making up the difference for now, they are both off to hot starts.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I didn't realize that when Dvorak was moved up to the 1st line, it was just expected that he would have natural chemistry. Tocchet wanted to try it based on his play. It may take another few games to see if they are developing chemistry, or if it makes sense to move them back.

I am really flabbergasted by what you refer to as inconsistency. This has been the most consistent play I have seen from the team since the early Tippett days. Never too high, never too low. Always battling.

The Devils last played on the 19th. The Islanders had also last played on the 19th. I don't think it is a coincidence that our two worst games thus far on the year occurred when teams had 6 and 5 days of rest, respectively. And in a back-to-back.

Jumping off the ridiculous train and back to the subject at hand...

A - Kuemper, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Demers, Garland, Chychrun, Crouse

B - Kessel, Stepan, Keller, Hjalmarsson, Hayton, OEL, Grabner, Goligoski, Soderberg, Raanta

C - Lyubushkin, Hinostroza, Fischer, Richardson, Capobianco, Oesterle

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
A's: Schmaltz, Dvorak, Demers, Garland, Hjalmarsson
B's: Kessel, Keller, Hayton, OEL, Grabner, Soderberg
B-: Goligoski, Capobianco (these two don't deserve to be straight B's because of some serious flubups, but don't deserve to be lumped into the Cs either.)
C's: Stepan, Oesterle, Fischer
D's: Lyubushkin, Hinostroza
F's: Richardson

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
A: Schmaltz, Dvo, Hammer, Garland, Demers, Kuemper, Raanta
B: Fish, Chychrun, Capo, Keller, Kessel, Grabner, Hayton, Goligoski, Soda
C: OEL, Hinnie, Crouse, Stepan
D: Richy, Bush
F: Team as a whole is playing way too good for me to give out any Fs

Reactions: Name Nameless

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'll play along and go with no +s/-s.

A's: Schmaltz, Dvorak, Demers, Garland, Hjalmarsson
B's: Soderberg, Crouse, Kuemper, Raanta
C's: Kessel, Keller Stepan, Oesterle, Lyubushkin, Goligoski, OEL, Grabner,
D's: Richardson, Fischer
F's: Hinostroza

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
F: Team as a whole is playing way too good for me to give out any Fs

That's kind of my logic as well. I don't think anyone is failing, or even necessarily below average. After 10 games, are the players performing to my expectations? A C simply means that they are pretty much hitting what I expected for them.

The players that I gave Cs to have kind of performed to the way that I figured they would. Capo and Lyubushkin are call-ups who aren't necessarily here to make us re-think the roster, but be able to make decent plays. They haven't been great, but they haven't been bad. The same goes for the Fischers, Hinostrozas, and Oesterle's (although Oesterle was very close to being a B player. They have made some errors. They have made some very good plays. They are performing about to what the trend for these players figured to be.

Reactions: Summer Rose

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Team A- or B+: Above expectations, 100 point pace

Players are either at, way below or way above expectations based on who the player is and this is about being a contributor all over the ice with and without the puck:

Way Above: Kuemper/Raanta/Demers/Goose/Garland/Schmaltz

Way below:Kessel/Keller/OEL-Stunning to see our record with these 3 under performing so much.

Everyone else close to expectations, some above a little or below a little.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A: Schmaltz, Soderberg, Crouse, Garland, Goligoski, Chychrun, Demers, Kuemper, Raanta

B: Grabner, Hinostoza, Keller

C: Kessel, Stepan, Dvorak, Hayton, Fischer, OEL, Oesterle

D: Richardson

F: Lyubushkin, Ness

Something like that. Biggest change in the last 10 or so is Hinostroza.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A: Schmaltz, Soderberg, Crouse, Garland, Goligoski, Chychrun, Demers, Kuemper, Raanta

B: Grabner, Hinostoza, Keller

C: Kessel, Stepan, Dvorak, Hayton, Fischer, OEL, Oesterle

D: Richardson

F: Lyubushkin, Ness

Something like that. Biggest change in the last 10 or so is Hinostroza.
I have no idea how you can give those grades to Keller and Kessel when they are heading for under 50 points, lead the team in minus, and generally look like crap most nights??

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cutting Kessel some slack as he's just coming out of injury. I think Keller has shown a lot of flashes (how many times has he fanned on one in close this year), just needs to capitalize. Next 10-20 games will be telling for both.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Cutting Kessel some slack as he's just coming out of injury. I think Keller has shown a lot of flashes (how many times has he fanned on one in close this year), just needs to capitalize. Next 10-20 games will be telling for both.
2/3rds of your first line can't get a positive ratings with those stats, they just can't.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Forgot to add if Kessel was injured enough to be this bad maybe he should worry more about getting better rather than his games played streak.

Reactions: Jakey53

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Past 10:

A: Chychrun, Crouse, Garland, Goligoski, Soderberg

B: Demers, Hinostoza, Kuemper, Raanta, Schmaltz

C: Dvorak, Fischer, Grabner, Hayton, Keller, Kessel, Ness, Oesterle, Stepan

D: Keller, OEL (injury?) Richardson

F: Lybushkin

Reactions: Summer Rose

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
He's still on his ELC. Grade him vs. the extension when he's actually getting paid it.
Ok he reminds me of Nugent-Hopkins, got some points when he was the only decent player his first year, then years of mediocre play. Now that Keller has been surpassed by Garland and Schmaltz it would seem like his PP opportunites will soon dry up. Keep Kessel away from him as he is dragging him down also. Maybe some press box duty will light a fire. I will save the F until next year.
OEL is a C- almost a D. It is mind boggling that the nine year veteran will now be getting a 8 year contract. These GM's never learn just ask Chicago about Seabrook.
Stepan gets B-, lots of effort but should not be getting first line and PP minutes.
Hinostroza C-, hit the net.
The goalies get an A

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
My past 10:

A: Raanta, Kuemper, Demers
B: Hinostroza (B+), Schmaltz (B+), Keller, Chychrun, Söderberg, Goose
C: Garland, Fischer, Oesterle, Stepan, Crouse, Grabner, Hayton, Fischer
D: Ness, Dvorak, OEL
F: Lyubushkin, Kessel, Richardson

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A: Raanta, Kuemper, Gogo, Garland, Schmaltz
B: Chychrun, Soderberg, Crouse, DVO, Grabner, Demers
C: Keller, Kessel, OEL, Stepan, Vinny, Richardson, Oesterle, Fischer, Hayton
D: Bush
F: Ness

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Seems like Crouse has to be at least a B...and maybe Keller a C. Dvorak seems harsh at D. But otherwise I like it.

Oops that was for Ghostface grades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad