Coyote Most Likely to be Traded?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not familiar with Highlander, other than a friend told me how great it was back in 87 or 88, I watched and did not like.

Can you further explain? I'm being serious (for a change) here. Are you saying we pick up Vasilevsky if Bishop is not available? To me the entire idea is like trying to put an egg in a thimble.

You can only protect one goalie for the expansion draft.

So either trade him for something or lose him for nothing.

Pittsburgh wants to move Fleury. Tampa wants to move Bishop. Both after a long playoff run. The market for a goalie drops considerably after the playoffs and before expansion draft.

Other names potentially available: One of Markstrom or Ryan Miller. Luongo? Carter Hutton or Jake Allen?

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
You can only protect one goalie for the expansion draft.

So either trade him for something or lose him for nothing.

Pittsburgh wants to move Fleury. Tampa wants to move Bishop. Both after a long playoff run. The market for a goalie drops considerably after the playoffs and before expansion draft.

Okay, my point is One: Do we want Vasilevsky if Tampa decides that Bishop is the one they protect? Two: How certain can we really be that we will be the only suitors considering the small date card?

Just seems a big risk to get rid of a contract for a player that imo earns it when healthy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Okay, my point is One: Do we want Vasilevsky if Tampa decides that Bishop is the one they protect? Two: How certain can we really be that we will be the only suitors considering the small date card?

Just seems a big risk to get rid of a contract for a player that imo earns it when healthy.

Smith didn't earn it the previous 3 years though.

Tampa is not/can't extend Bishop at his current salary let alone the type of increase that he will command from a team at free agency (5-6 years at $7M per). Bishop will be moved. Tampa needs to sign Tyler Johnson and Drouin. Vasilevski isn't being moved. Not a chance.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I see Stone as the only one who is a basically a guarantee to go. We have no spot for him moving forward and teams always like to add D. I think we'll get a good return for him with his name having more value than his current play. I think a late 1st, which is a lot for a bottom pairing guy.

I think Doan is 50/50. I could see there being trouble finding the "right fit" for him to waive to.

I think it's 55/45 that Hanzal is moved. We need to add atleast 10m in salary to get to the floor next year and our only other relevant free agents are Duclair, Nook, and Vrbata. All 3 if resigned would probably only avg maybe 2.5m each if we're generous.

There's also only 1 other legit top 6 C FA option this year, Bonino. He'll probably require term to sign. So I think it makes sense to give Hanzal a 2 year 4.5m or so deal. If we have to pay someone to reach the floor, why not him?

avco

Feb 10, 2007
I would add Mike Smith to the potential to be traded list as his play this year might draw attention on a team with goaltending issues. Long shot still but don't discount desperate GM's more concerned about short term job security (Blues).

I would also toss in Michalek as a name that might move. Teams typically add D and Michalek is a low risk AHL eligible option that would come free.

Smithy, with every game, seems to be getting more and more discouraged about the way the team is playing in front of him. If he sees this as being the norm for the next few years it is conceivable that he would ask for a trade.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not familiar with Highlander, other than a friend told me how great it was back in 87 or 88, I watched and did not like.

Can you further explain? I'm being serious (for a change) here. Are you saying we pick up Vasilevsky if Bishop is not available? To me the entire idea is like trying to put an egg in a thimble.

I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that we can only protect 1 Goalie and we should protect/acquire the most "powerful" option.

Of course if we bring in the movies (more specifically the second--I think), there may be more powerful options than one might think :laugh:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Smithy, with every game, seems to be getting more and more discouraged about the way the team is playing in front of him. If he sees this as being the norm for the next few years it is conceivable that he would ask for a trade.

I think the bluster is all in attempt to get noticed.

He can ask for a trade all he wants. There's little to zero interest at the $ and term. Even now with as good as Smith is playing we are hoping there is a GM who is in fear of losing job who is that desperate to not get fired who has cap space that would pull the trigger on a deal.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think the bluster is all in attempt to get noticed.

He can ask for a trade all he wants. There's little to zero interest at the $ and term. Even now with as good as Smith is playing we are hoping there is a GM who is in fear of losing job who is that desperate to not get fired who has cap space that would pull the trigger on a deal.

I agree on the bluster thing, but he could be a nice addition to a team that has more experienced D pairings and players that can actually score semi-consistently.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree on the bluster thing, but he could be a nice addition to a team that has more experienced D pairings and players that can actually score semi-consistently.

Sure he could be better in front of a better team. He was great when we thumped the Hawks in 2012. Arguably the reason why we won.

That being said. Smiths term and $ will scare off any suitor. Need someone who's desperate for a #1.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Sure he could be better in front of a better team. He was great when we thumped the Hawks in 2012. Arguably the reason why we won.

That being said. Smiths term and $ will scare off any suitor. Need someone who's desperate for a #1.

Perhaps a team would be willing to add him with the idea that he may be bought out next season or the one after that if he falls short? We would probably be getting a bad contract in return, but if it's shorter, I'm fine with that

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sportrac or CapFriendly for contracts.

RE: the cap floor stuff. I'm not so worried about that and I think the draft is a better arena to move cap space for teams than the deadline.

Coyotes are at 42M in cap hit next season right now with Doan gone, Stone gone, Hanzal Gone and before Martinook/Duclair raises. And then factor in LTIR for Bolland and it's about 39M cap hit. Floor was 56M this season. Getting teams cap dumps will be more of a luxury as opposed to a precaution like the Pronger situation. Too many roster spots too fill, one of which will for sure be a signed Hanzal or other stopgap center.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

RE: the cap floor stuff. I'm not so worried about that and I think the draft is a better arena to move cap space for teams than the deadline.

Coyotes are at 42M in cap hit next season right now with Doan gone, Stone gone, Hanzal Gone and before Martinook/Duclair raises. And then factor in LTIR for Bolland and it's about 39M cap hit. Floor was 56M this season. Getting teams cap dumps will be more of a luxury as opposed to a precaution like the Pronger situation. Too many roster spots too fill, one of which will for sure be a signed Hanzal or other stopgap center.

Try throwing a decent amount of money at Oshie, Berglund, Hanzal, or Eaves?

Does Domi get an extension in place? Or any other young players (Martinook)?

After that, look at some of the RFAs who may be in a tight spot b/c of the expansion draft. We have some picks and prospects that we can still afford to give up in those types of scenarios, although I don't want to do too much to lessen our prospect pool. But we would get an RFA that we would wind up protecting ahead of say, Brad Richardson, while giving up a player that does not need to be protected (see Samuelsson, Merkley, Looke, or Karlsson).

Thinking along the lines of Pageau, Neiderreiter, or Panik. Might be a little much to give up, but I would rather protect Neiderreiter/Pageau and give up Merkley and future picks to do so.

For the record, I voted other. I think that some team looking to fill a gap on D calls about Zbynek Michalek. Teams need RHD, and while he is probably not able to go 20+ minutes per game, I could see him getting between 13-17 minutes with a lot of PK time. We retain most salary, and he winds up as the 5th, 6th, or 7th D on his new team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

I was using Spotrac, but they didn't have Smitty's contract listed for some reason (unless I missed it somewhere). For a brief moment, I thought we had moved him, but that was only a millisecond :)

CapFriendly seems like a good reference site (I only used it briefly in the past) for future discussions.

I doubt we make acquire any major cap dumps at the deadline, unless a team is pulling a more "lucrative" deal with another team that requires them to move another contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad