Coyote Most Likely to be Traded?

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Hey everyone, Oilers fan here....can I ask you folks for a scouting report on M. Stone?

When I saw him in the first few seasons I thought he was a tough stay at home dman. Then last year he put up some points. I've watched him in all the games against the Oilers this year and I haven't really noticed him much. The last game in Arizona I noticed him a little. Made some good plays. Some bad plays. Seems very inconsistent.

I know he has a big shot but what type of dman is he? And what would you classify him as....#4 dman? What are his strength and weaknesses?

Thanks in advance

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I voted Hanzal. I really want Hanzal to stay on as the one veteran center with Keller, Strome, Dvorak and maybe Dauphin, but Hanzal has the most trade value to a playoff contender IMO.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hey everyone, Oilers fan here....can I ask you folks for a scouting report on M. Stone?

When I saw him in the first few seasons I thought he was a tough stay at home dman. Then last year he put up some points. I've watched him in all the games against the Oilers this year and I haven't really noticed him much. The last game in Arizona I noticed him a little. Made some good plays. Some bad plays. Seems very inconsistent.

I know he has a big shot but what type of dman is he? And what would you classify him as....#4 dman? What are his strength and weaknesses?

Thanks in advance

He was better than expected until he broke his leg last year. Hasn't been the same since but still has size and a shot. He was a 4D last year. He hasn't reached that level this year but his salary is based on his play last year. Right now he's a bottom pairing RD with potential upside if this his regression is just injury recovery related. He's a RD so there's a market.

JeiJeieL

Jun 15, 2015
Kemi, Finland
Voted Stone. There's no way he's going to get resigned. DeAngelo gets call up after trade.

I also think Doan will get traded to Ducks, Sharks, Kings or Canadiens.

Hanzal is maybe. If he accepts 1-2 year contract, Coyotes will resign him. If he doesn't, they trade him.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
All of the veterans
All of them
Id say "all of them" period...but
If you get rid of everyone, you are continually starting over.
So, keep the core young guys.
Bring up Fischer, Wood, Deangelo...
Trade, Hanzal, OEL, Doaner (respectfully) buy out who you have to buy out..
And lets spend a few years getting the young guys experience.
I'll still be there.....and I won't put a bag over my head.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Doan's window has already closed. Last year you might have found a taker, but this year? I doubt it.

Hanzal is too much of a risk for a playoff team. It is far more likely that he will break down before the season ends, than it is that he is playing in the SCF.

I voted Vrbata alone, but I could see Stone going too. He would be a quality rental. I would prefer resigning him, but it takes two to tango.

Vrbata is the natural choice for me. Scoring, veteran wing that still has gas in the tank. I don't expect a huge return, but he is the player that playoff teams will be looking for.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
All of the veterans
All of them...OEL..."

Not a chance unless the return is huge. Sure, he's having an off year, but so is the entire team. He's not over the hill and has not forgot how to play. The idea is to improve where you need to improve, not burn the building just because the foundation is leaking.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I forgot about White! To listen to Nash and McConnell's frequent verbal orgasms about him, I would think that he will probably bring 2-3 first rounders.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
All of the veterans
All of them
Id say "all of them" period...but
If you get rid of everyone, you are continually starting over.
So, keep the core young guys.
Bring up Fischer, Wood, Deangelo...
Trade, Hanzal, OEL, Doaner (respectfully) buy out who you have to buy out..
And lets spend a few years getting the young guys experience.
I'll still be there.....and I won't put a bag over my head.

I actually like this. We can't (due to finances) and aren't moving the coach and a big time shake up is needed. OEL would bring one hell of a return, Doaner just needs to go/retire/whatever (respectfully) and with Hanzal out of the line up we have a much different presence and look to us.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Believe we can only retain on 1 player given Ribeiro and Vermette buy-outs (correct me if I'm wrong). And they'll be approx. 25% of the season remaining on March 1, so assume 25% cap hit.

Stone - 2017 cap hit $4.0, $1.0 cap hit at the TDL - likely moved for picks and likely where salary retention is required.

Hanzal - $3.1m/$775k - ideally moved for an NHL player on an ELC (McCarron-type), realistically moved for picks. May need to take on salary to make a deal (eg: DD LTIA). MTL also has 2 seconds in 2017 and 3 in 2018.

Vrbata - $1.0M/$250k - easiest contract to move.

Doan - $3.88M/$970k - toughest contract to move, will require taking back a salary.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would add Mike Smith to the potential to be traded list as his play this year might draw attention on a team with goaltending issues. Long shot still but don't discount desperate GM's more concerned about short term job security (Blues).

I would also toss in Michalek as a name that might move. Teams typically add D and Michalek is a low risk AHL eligible option that would come free.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I would add Mike Smith to the potential to be traded list as his play this year might draw attention on a team with goaltending issues. Long shot still but don't discount desperate GM's more concerned about short term job security (Blues).

I would also toss in Michalek as a name that might move. Teams typically add D and Michalek is a low risk AHL eligible option that would come free.

We have no one to replace Smith. It would get far too ugly w/o him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
An AHL depth veteran 8th dman with a multimillion dollar cap hit. I'm not sure there will be a line for a guy that can't make the Coyotes team which is averaging 3.2 goals against despite AllStar quality goaltending.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We have no one to replace Smith. It would get far too ugly w/o him.

Halak, Pavelec. There's options. Dumpster dive options but so was Smith when he was signed.

It depends how desperate we are to get rid of Smiths deal. We can address things long term by targetting Bishop or Fleury prior to expansion draft.

This is all about getting away from Smiths contract.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
An AHL depth veteran 8th dman with a multimillion dollar cap hit. I'm not sure there will be a line for a guy that can't make the Coyotes team which is averaging 3.2 goals against despite AllStar quality goaltending.

Need 8 D to win in a long playoff run. Michalek is a Safe RD option in a market where there aren't many RD options.

By deadline the cap hit is considerably less and you can keep him in minors until you need him. For the price (free) he could go.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Halak, Pavelec. There's options. Dumpster dive options but so was Smith when he was signed.

It depends how desperate we are to get rid of Smiths deal. We can address things long term by targetting Bishop or Fleury prior to expansion draft.

This is all about getting away from Smiths contract.

Fair enough, but can we be certain that either will be available? Tampa hasn't gotten the play expected from Vasilevsky. They may want to retain Bishop, unless they can't?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Fair enough, but can we be certain that either will be available? Tampa hasn't gotten the play expected from Vasilevsky. They may want to retain Bishop, unless they can't?

Much like the movie Highlander. With the expansion draft, there can only be one.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Much like the movie Highlander. With the expansion draft, there can only be one.

Not familiar with Highlander, other than a friend told me how great it was back in 87 or 88, I watched and did not like.

Can you further explain? I'm being serious (for a change) here. Are you saying we pick up Vasilevsky if Bishop is not available? To me the entire idea is like trying to put an egg in a thimble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad