Proposal: Coyle to STL

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Can someone explain to me why Parayko is better than Spurgeon or Dumba? I’m not seeing it.
Nobody is even saying this. :facepalm:

It's not about ranking who is the better player or a poll about who you'd prefer on what pairing (tho please feel free to make one). Point is, stating that Parayko would be on the wild's 3rd pairing is asinine.

I think he's better defensively than Dumba right now. Dumba is obviously better offensively, so it's probably a wash depending on player preference.

Spurgeon is, at worst, even defensively. Better offensively. But 5'9" instead of 6'5" so there's probably some player preference there too.
Exactly.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think he's better defensively than Dumba right now. Dumba is obviously better offensively, so it's probably a wash depending on player preference.

Spurgeon is, at worst, even defensively. Better offensively. But 5'9" instead of 6'5" so there's probably some player preference there too.
Parayko is not as good as Dumba at either end. He's probably close to Spurgeon offensively but nowhere near him in his own end.

Parayko is a terrific player and I'm not trying to put him down in any way, but if someone is going to say that the Wild don't have anyone at his level, I'm going to point out the obvious.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parayko is not as good as Dumba at either end. He's probably close to Spurgeon offensively but nowhere near him in his own end.

Parayko is a terrific player and I'm not trying to put him down in any way, but if someone is going to say that the Wild don't have anyone at his level, I'm going to point out the obvious.

I think he's better defensively than you're giving him credit for.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And I think Dumba, at the moment, is slightly under "very solid". Probably just "solid". Which is great, considering where he started from and the fact that he's only 23/24.
And I would strongly disagree with your opinion of Dumba's defense.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015

1) Currently, Parayko is better than Dumba defensively, Dumba is better offensively. Could change in the future, but most objective non-homer appraisal of their respective skills would agree.

2) Nobody said the wild don't have anyone at Parayko's level. Suter is miles ahead, for one.

3) You didn't point out the obvious. You said Parayko would play on the wild's 3rd pairing, which is just dumb.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nobody is even saying this. :facepalm:

It's not about ranking who is the better player or a poll about who you'd prefer on what pairing (tho please feel free to make one). Point is, stating that Parayko would be on the wild's 3rd pairing is asinine.

Exactly.

I mean, barring a trade. If you concede that Parayko isn’t as good as Dumba or Spurgeon, then it goes without saying that he would play third pairing.

Spurgeon and Suter are great together. Dumba and Brodin are good together. Parayko would default to the third pairing. He would arguably be the Wilds 4th best defenseman after this most recent season.

Doesn’t mean anyone here is calling him a third pairing defenseman. Just like Malkin/Crosby aren’t 2nd line centers.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
but if someone is going to say that the Wild don't have anyone at his level, I'm going to point out the obvious.

No one even said that...

The more egregious post was someone saying that Coyle would need to return Parayko. There is a big gap between Coyle and Parayko.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dumba has taken massive strides to improve his defensive play.

Not saying he hasn't. He's just not on Parayko's level defensively and Parayko isn't where Dumba is offensively.

This whole thing is just stupid. We could say Dumba would be on our 3rd pairing too, it's stupid and means nothing, even if it would play out that way. It's also completely unrelated to what that guy was responding to in the first place.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I mean, barring a trade. If you concede that Parayko isn’t as good as Dumba or Spurgeon, then it goes without saying that he would play third pairing.

Spurgeon and Suter are great together. Dumba and Brodin are good together. Parayko would default to the third pairing. He would arguably be the Wilds 4th best defenseman after this most recent season.

Doesn’t mean anyone here is calling him a third pairing defenseman. Just like Malkin/Crosby aren’t 2nd line centers.
I don't concede that Parayko isn't as good as Dumba or Spurgeon, and it doesn't go without saying he would play third pairing.

If you actually believe that Parayko would be your 4th best defenseman and would play on the 3rd pairing, then I'm starting to get the feeling this entire discussion is not worth the time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba has taken massive strides to improve his defensive play.
Massive? Slow down there, cowboy. Let's just say he's heading in the right direction. I'd say he is average defensively now, and is trending upwards.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not saying he hasn't. He's just not on Parayko's level defensively and Parayko isn't where Dumba is offensively.

This whole thing is just stupid. We could say Dumba would be on our 3rd pairing too, it's stupid and means nothing, even if it would play out that way. It's also completely unrelated to what that guy was responding to in the first place.
An argument can be made for playing Parayko on the third pairing of the Wild. An argument can also be made for playing him on the first pairing. He definitely would play on the PP, maybe the PK(Brodin, Suter, and Spurgeon have PK spots nailed down).

Nobody is, or should be, intimating that Parayko is a third pairing talent. He's not perfect, but he's a stud, basically. Top 2 Dman.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How the **** did this turn into Dumba vs. Parayko?
Who knows, it all originated back to someone saying that Coyle would have to return Parayko and a Blues fan replying that only a few players on the Wild have that kind of value and Coyle isn't one of them.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
How the **** did this turn into Dumba vs. Parayko?
Good question, let's recap...

Fan of neither team comes in with a piping hot take:
If St Louis wants Coyle, Minny would want Parayko back.

Resident St. Louis Parayko-tire-pumper comes in to defend Parayko's honor:
That's just not gonna happen. There a few players on your team worth mentioning in the same sentence as parayko and Charles in charge ain't one of them

Minnesota fan decides to disparage Parayko over some perceived slight:
Don't puff your chest out too far on Parayko, he would be 3rd pair in Minnesota.

Aaaaaaaaand here we are. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad