OT: Covid-19 (Part 50) You Better Watch Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
No one is denying that those showing symptoms are spreading covid, and that non vaccinated people get more symptoms. Should we ignore asymptomatic spread?

Why in the hell do you think we have to wear mask?
How can we ignore that, that's the only reason to wear mask, social distancing and any barriers we are using....because of asymptomatic spread, it's surely not to stop those who are quarantine from spreading it.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Why in the hell do you think we have to wear mask?
How can we ignore that, that's the only reason to wear mask, social distancing and any barriers we are using....because of asymptomatic spread, it's surely not to stop those who are quarantine from spreading it.

Exactly. The virus is spreading amongst both the vaccinated and non vaccinated.

I was calling Lshap out for bragging about his life being back to normal, gathering, eating and drinking, going to gyms, partying, etc. while pretending he's not increasing his chance of spreading the virus and making others sick. But it's all good, he made "the" smart choice which rid him of any additional responsibility or concern.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

I was calling Lshap out for bragging about his life being back to normal, gathering, eating and drinking, going to gyms, partying, etc. while pretending he's not increasing his chance of spreading the virus and making others sick. But it's all good, he made "the" smart choice which rid him of any additional responsibility or concern.

He's doing all he can to not spread it.....as I am....and that's the difference between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. It's not perfect, it's not bulletproof, but it's the best we can do and we're doing it.

The unvaccinated for the most part are the exact same ones who are against measure, against masks and against doing anything to help the situation.

Reactions: LarryO

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

It seems like all you have is a series of made-up memes. I'm not bragging. I'm not avoiding health responsibility. You're simply making stuff up because you have no facts on your side. You created a false argument of lost rights, identity politics, and ostracized victims – none of these are true.

There is no fact-based reason to avoid the vaccine, other than a rare allergy. Despite facts, 20% remain ignorant or scared. No one is forcing them to vaccinate, no one is ostracizing them. They're simply volunteering to exclude themselves from public gatherings. The same way smokers voluntarily exclude themselves from indoor spaces if they refuse to not smoke. Both groups – unvaccinated and smokers – are free to make poor health choices.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I got vaccinated for the Salted caramel pancakes at Denny’s, ngl.

Personally, I'm happy with any reason to get vaccinated.

Whether it's trusting the vaccine, wanting to go back to normal, annoyance at restrictions, pressure from relatives, free Krispy Kreme donuts, I'll take it.

What I can't accept are reasons to not accept the vaccine for reasons that are not medically/scientifically sound.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
It seems like all you have is a series of made-up memes. I'm not bragging. I'm not avoiding health responsibility. You're simply making stuff up because you have no facts on your side. You created a false argument of lost rights, identity politics, and ostracized victims – none of these are true.

There is no fact-based reason to avoid the vaccine, other than a rare allergy. Despite facts, 20% remain ignorant or scared. No one of forcing them to vaccinate, no one is ostracizing them. They're simply volunteering to exclude themselves from public gatherings. The same way smokers voluntarily exclude themselves from indoor spaces if they refuse to not smoke. Both groups – unvaccinated and smokers – are free to make poor health choices.

The gov is coercing its citizens into getting the vaccine, the mandates and passport are real, and no one is volunteering to be banned from public venues. You can gaslight all you like, I really don't see what purpose it serves.

Reactions: Cypruss

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He's doing all he can to not spread it.....as I am....and that's the difference between the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. It's not perfect, it's not bulletproof, but it's the best we can do and we're doing it.

The unvaccinated for the most part are the exact same ones who are against measure, against masks and against doing anything to help the situation.
Wrong. If you don't want to spread it, you stay the hell home. Period.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
The gov is coercing its citizens into getting the vaccine, the mandates and passport are real, and no one is volunteering to be banned from public venues. You can gaslight all you like, I really don't see what purpose it serves.
the government 'coerces' you to do things all the time. it 'coerces' you to drive the speed limit. it 'coerces' you to pay your taxes. it 'coerces' you to not murder anyone.

this is what it means to live in a society. we give up some individual freedoms in exchange for things like security. i'm sorry that you suddenly don't find the tradeoff acceptable but i note in passing that immigrants around the world are literally willing to risk their lives to move to places like the US and Canada despite their dRaCoNiAn big government overreach. :dunno:

now, again, if you don't find this acceptable, i encourage you to move to the libertarian utopia of Nowhereistan where individual rights are paramount... oh wait that's right, it doesn't exist, because it's never been shown to be a feasible model for running a country. /rant over

Reactions: LarryO

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Wrong. If you don't want to spread it, you stay the hell home. Period.

True, if the goal was to have zero covid which it's not the case.
There's a balance to reach between trying to keep the economy going and keeping this manageable.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal

I can't speak for anyone, but I doubt it, and think that's just the msm narrative, that all nom vaccinated poeple are the same. Masks and vaccines are two very different things. Masks lower the risk of transmission of the virus the exact same way in every individual. It can be considered one size fits all. As for the vaccine, the incentives can vary greatly from person to person.

I also wouldn't assume the worst of people simply because they didn't get a vaccine. It's a personal choice everyone is allowed to make without being judged.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

50% of the population JUMPED on the vaccine as soon as it was out......
When they started talking about mandates and passport, at least here in Quebec, there was 75% of them already vaccinated.

But what you still failed to see is that it's not the government that is coercing a small portion of it's citizens........it's us. It's the business owners who don't want suffer through another shutdown (even if it's just his business due to an outbreak).

You think the government is doing his own little thing against his poor citizens and they are the big enemy.....but it is doing exactly what a government should be doing.....listen to the majority.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
the government 'coerces' you to do things all the time. it 'coerces' you to drive the speed limit. it 'coerces' you to pay your taxes. it 'coerces' you to not murder anyone.

this is what it means to live in a society. we give up some individual freedoms in exchange for things like security. i'm sorry that you suddenly don't find the tradeoff acceptable but i note in passing that immigrants around the world are literally willing to risk their lives to move to places like the US and Canada despite their dRaCoNiAn big government overreach. :dunno:

now, again, if you don't find this acceptable, i encourage you to move to the libertarian utopia of Nowhereistan where individual rights are paramount... oh wait that's right, it doesn't exist, because it's never been shown to be a feasible model for running a country. /rant over

Wait, you actually believe there are no places on this planet that do not have the covid mandates and restrictions that we do?

You should check the definition of coercion. If you don't see the difference between going the speed limit and having the government treat you differently based on what you have in your blood, then I don't know what to tell you.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Wait, you actually believe there are no places on this planet that do not have the covid mandates and restrictions that we do?

You should check the definition of coercion. If you don't see the difference between going the speed limit and having the government treat you differently based on what you have in your blood, then I don't know what to tell you.

Both of these things are about public safety... You can try to argue yourself out of that fact, but as @Milhouse40 mentioned, there is an overwhelming majority of Canadians that believe covid vaccination improves public safety.

And before you ramble about the fact that vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity (they do, just not 100%), please consider that they factually significantly reduce the burden of covid on our health system.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I actually don't see the difference. They are both restrictions aimed at improving public safety, like @Licou just said. but hey since you brought it up, care to provide your own definition?

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
50% of the population JUMPED on the vaccine as soon as it was out......
When they started talking about mandates and passport, at least here in Quebec, there was 75% of them already vaccinated.

But what you still failed to see is that it's not the government that is coercing a small portion of it's citizens........it's us. It's the business owners who don't want suffer through another shutdown (even if it's just his business due to an outbreak).

You think the government is doing his own little thing against his poor citizens and they are the big enemy.....but it is doing exactly what a government should be doing.....listen to the majority.

Simply listening to the majority would mean mob rule. There certain values and principles by which the gov must abide. They are there to determine whether something is right or wrong despite what the majority thinks, and basically to prevent shit from hitting the fan. Coercing people into getting a vaccine throws bodily integrity out the window and it's wrong.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Simply listening to the majority would mean mob rule. There certain values and principles by which the gov must abide. They are there to determine whether something is right or wrong despite what the majority thinks, and basically to prevent shit from hitting the fan. Coercing people into getting a vaccine throws bodily integrity out the window and it's wrong.

I guess we've been wrong for over a century then.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Spinning the unvaccinated into an oppressed class is the only stick left in your arsenal. You use words like "Coercion", "Mob rule", "Identity politics" in an attempt to draw parallels between actual historical oppression and today. But really...? You should look up those words for context. The comparisons are offensive to those who were truly oppressed, who lived through real government coercion and suffered from real identity politics and mobs. Today's unvaccinated aren't oppressed. They're sitting in their dens, ordering from UberEats, watching Netflix, typing anti-government memes and anti-vaccine nonsense... and nobody gives a shit. And that's the real rub, isn't it? Anti-vaxers aren't simply on the wrong side of the debate, they're being left behind. And the further behind they fall, the more desperate they are to make themselves feel important.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Spinning the unvaccinated into an oppressed class is the only stick left in your arsenal. You use words like "Coercion", "Mob rule", "Identity politics" in an attempt to draw parallels between actual historical oppression and today. You really should look up those words for context. The comparisons are offensive to those who were truly oppressed, who lived through real government coercion and suffered from real identity politics and mobs. Today's unvaccinated aren't oppressed. They're sitting in their dens, ordering from UberEats, watching Netflix, typing anti-government memes and anti-vaccine nonsense... and nobody gives a shit. And that's the real rub, isn't it? Anti-vaxers aren't simply on the wrong side of the debate, they're being left behind. And the further behind they fall, the more desperate they are to make themselves feel important.
say what you want, but the guy is right on at least one thing, you are really portraying every single unvaccinated as an anti-wax.

Sure, you'll reply that you make the difference between antiwax and people who are unvaccinated for whatever "legit reason" but fact you have to be reminded from time to time says otherwise.

as for debating and discussing ? no such thing exists, everyone's opinion is made up already and there's less than 0 chance anyone will really open up to the "other side" opinion.

If you really want to discuss something relevant start by asking yourself how delta and omicron ended up in Canada and why nobody gives a shit about it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
say what you want, but the guy is right on at least one thing, you are really portraying every single unvaccinated as an anti-wax.

Sure, you'll reply that you make the difference between antiwax and people who are unvaccinated for whatever "legit reason" but fact you have to be reminded from time to time says otherwise.
It's obvious I'm not referring to the small number of people who have legitimate reasons for not vaccinating. I'm referring to the vast majority who can be vaccinated, but choose not to.

as for debating and discussing ? no such thing exists, everyone's opinion is made up already and there's less than 0 chance anyone will really open up to the "other side" opinion.
You're probably right about this.

If you really want to discuss something relevant start by asking yourself how delta and omicron ended up in Canada and why nobody gives a shit about it.
Valid question. The government has no idea how to effectively vet travellers. It's a mess.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's obvious I'm not referring to the small number of people who have legitimate reasons for not vaccinating. I'm referring to the vast majority who can be vaccinated, but choose not to.

You're probably right about this.

Valid question. The government has no idea how to effectively vet travellers. It's a mess.
1. Ask your friends/family who planned to travel if they'll put their plan on hold for the greater good.
- think we both know the awnser.

2. No traveling probably means no Delta, and it probably means no Omicron in Canada either
- it's an undisputable fact travelers brought both in Canada.

Reactions: blarneylad

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not sure what is happening in QC, but they’ve just put in the 50% capacity limits for sports here. They also opened up boosters for everyone over 18. I’m getting mine on Monday.

I do live a relatively quiet lifestyle. I work from home, only go out for groceries. I do feel I’m relatively careful and try to do my part.

My wife and kids go to work and school, but in my wife’s case, her job requires the full PPE (gown, mask, shield, gloves).

We have gone out to see a couple movies and Raptor games, but we’re as cautious as we could control on our own. I am a believer that life goes on and you need to do whatever you need k be happy. Just don’t be an idiot out there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I can't speak for anyone, but I doubt it, and think that's just the msm narrative, that all nom vaccinated poeple are the same. Masks and vaccines are two very different things. Masks lower the risk of transmission of the virus the exact same way in every individual. It can be considered one size fits all. As for the vaccine, the incentives can vary greatly from person to person.

I also wouldn't assume the worst of people simply because they didn't get a vaccine. It's a personal choice everyone is allowed to make without being judged.
Yeah the ‘msm narrative’ and government’s ‘coercing’ people to take the vaccine.

It’s great that you don’t politicize things…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad