OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The comeback must start or THANNOS ends. Someone dig up some twitter post on thoseblue jackets from 2008.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I guess? That trailer made The Last Jedi seem like a waste of time. Why not have JJ do the entire trilogy?

The simple answer is because Lucasfilm mismanaged it.

this video sums up what happened pretty well.

There will be a break after Ep. 9 for the movies. There is the possibility that the Star Wars shows coming to Disney+ will serve as a testing ground for the new take Disney wants to take the franchise. Keep in mind that the writer, creator, and showrunner for 'The Mandalorian' is Jon Favreau, director of Iron Man, which established the tone of the MCU.

The head of Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy, may also be out after Ep. 9. The theory is that it's hard to attract the management figure they need if they'd take all the blame for whatever happens in The Rise of Skywalker, even though they really had very little to do with it.

Jon Favreau may have the creative chops to lead Star Wars if The Mandalorian succeeds. He's mostly moved into a producer role for MCU movies over recent years. Someone else would need to be more in charge of the business side though.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
My name is Sunny and I'm an elite poster.

No that's not it.

Oh this one time at band camp...

No damn it that's not right either

Ohh ohh! I got it!

If I could have twenty minutes of your time I'd like to talk to you about the Lord of Light

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
GoT was lit. Precious little happened though but I'm not gonna whine. It was still a great episode
Without getting into spoilers, I was very pleased with how much progress it did make. The first episode of the season is normally about catching viewers back up (and given the time-off and number of plotlines, I was certain they were going to use the full episode), but they didn't get bogged down over explaining everything that's happened.

Where I think it'll benefit is that normally the last episode of a season does a lot of place setting for the next season. Since that's not a concern anymore, they can push the big finale to the last episode. The final set of episodes will also be pretty long, so that should cover 'only' having 6 of them.

Jorah being turned into stone and Dany turning to the camera saying "this is literally the only thing we're going to focus on" was a bit off-putting at first, but I respect them for sticking to their plan.

Bringing Barristan Selmy back as a vision like Obi-Wan in the Star Wars movies was a good call though. He was likable.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Without getting into spoilers, I was very pleased with how much progress it did make. The first episode of the season is normally about catching viewers back up (and given the time-off and number of plotlines, I was certain they were going to use the full episode), but they didn't get bogged down over explaining everything that's happened.

Where I think it'll benefit is that normally the last episode of a season does a lot of place setting for the next season. Since that's not a concern anymore, they can push the big finale to the last episode. The final set of episodes will also be pretty long, so that should cover 'only' having 6 of them.

Jorah being turned into stone and Dany turning to the camera saying "this is literally the only thing we're going to focus on" was a bit off-putting at first, but I respect them for sticking to their plan.

I was particularly satisfied with Ned Umber's scene... you know the one I'm talking about. I have to say it genuinely surprised me. Nice to see some real terror there. And of course Sam's scene with Jon folded out more or less how I expected it do. I'm thrilled to death they didn't hang onto such important information for so long and just painfully dangle it around.

Thank you, thank you, thank you GoT for making Yara's rescue happen early and quickly. That was a loose end that concerned me as well like Jon's true identity. Don't dangle it. Just do it. Plus Yara is a great character. No sense in her being tied up for so long of season 8. It could've been a fun and detailed rescue if they wanted it to be but instead, we got something better with Yara leading her people again and likely saying goodbye to Theon for the last time. I don't always appreciate streamlining things that much but it was well done.

I knew Cersei was gonna put Bron up to assassinating Tyrion. I once asked myself "What is the single most surprising thing left to do?" and my answer was if I had lead creative control I would've actually arranged for Tyrion to be killed by a hit man of Cersei's

Looks like episode 3 is gonna be the Night King battle. Based on previews there's no way they're gonna run episode 2 without that as the cliff hanger. I'm hoping it'll go down like Season 4 Episode 9: Watcher's on the wall -my all time favorite episode.

Lastly, check out the memes of Jaime seeing Bran for the first time since the accident. Holy f*** that is the most delicious thing I've seen in years. Bravo.... freaking BRAVO to GoT for giving me something I never expected. Oh that and Cersei complaining about her elephants.

Just a masterful episode with little wasted motion. I am thoroughly satisifed

PS- I hope Dany doesn't have a shit fit about Jon's identity. You love him, don't you? Well love him as a Targaryen then. You're proud of your heritage so don't get fussy because you're not the last dragon after all

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And if you haven't yet... all of you check out the memes and tweets made out of last night's episode. If you enjoy satire and mockery of serious things as much as me it's for you.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I was particularly satisfied with Ned Umber's scene... you know the one I'm talking about. I have to say it genuinely surprised me. Nice to see some real terror there. And of course Sam's scene with Jon folded out more or less how I expected it do. I'm thrilled to death they didn't hang onto such important information for so long and just painfully dangle it around.

Thank you, thank you, thank you GoT for making Yara's rescue happen early and quickly. That was a loose end that concerned me as well like Jon's true identity. Don't dangle it. Just do it. Plus Yara is a great character. No sense in her being tied up for so long of season 8. It could've been a fun and detailed rescue if they wanted it to be but instead, we got something better with Yara leading her people again and likely saying goodbye to Theon for the last time. I don't always appreciate streamlining things that much but it was well done.

I knew Cersei was gonna put Bron up to assassinating Tyrion. I once asked myself "What is the single most surprising thing left to do?" and my answer was if I had lead creative control I would've actually arranged for Tyrion to be killed by a hit man of Cersei's

Looks like episode 3 is gonna be the Night King battle. Based on previews there's no way they're gonna run episode 2 without that as the cliff hanger. I'm hoping it'll go down like Season 4 Episode 9: Watcher's on the wall -my all time favorite episode.

Lastly, check out the memes of Jaime seeing Bran for the first time since the accident. Holy **** that is the most delicious thing I've seen in years. Bravo.... freaking BRAVO to GoT for giving me something I never expected. Oh that and Cersei complaining about her elephants.

Just a masterful episode with little wasted motion. I am thoroughly satisifed

PS- I hope Dany doesn't have a **** fit about Jon's identity. You love him, don't you? Well love him as a Targaryen then. You're proud of your heritage so don't get fussy because you're not the last dragon after all
I could see Jon and Dany going either way. Audiences are sort of deadened to it from the Lannisters. I don't think it'll sit well with Jon, while Dany seems more tactical than that (maybe all those IRL parents shouldn't have named their daughter Daenerys or Khaleesi so soon). Dany knows where she came from.

Dany is no doubt getting preggers though, and Jon will echo Ned and promise to raise the kid. He'll hesitate, but his bro Sam is raising Gilly's kid and will act as a voice of reason.

It's sort of an interesting area for a story to explore. The intermarriage that some real-life monarchies were filled with was not how it was done generally in society, but Jon Snow is 'upwardly mobile' like that (and the audience surrogate). A lot of fiction has 'person finds out they are royalty', but they don't get into those types of unpleasant details. They make it more about balancing a book on your head and knowing which fork to use.

I wouldn't quite say that Jamie/Bran was an 'accident', but it is a great cliffhanger.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Bran is also completely in the way. They want to give him the good cinematography, but he's just sitting in a chair in the front of a small archway, blocking workers.

29e.jpg

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bran is also completely in the way. They want to give him the good cinematography, but he's just sitting in a chair in the front of a small archway, blocking workers.
They should have installed a ramp so he can finally leave the courtyard. Poor dude is stuck outside in the cold.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They should have installed a ramp so he can finally leave the courtyard. Poor dude is stuck outside in the cold.
he was actually inside for a bit.

Given that Bran was chastizing others for focusing on their personal drama earlier in the episode, it'd be hypocritical for him to do it with Jamie. Ultimately, I don't know what Bran could really do in the story other than accept Jamie's help.

Bran is on a whole other level, and that journey was set out by Jamie's actions.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Did I get that right, that Bran said he was waiting for an old friend? If so, is it Jaime or the NK?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Should I take the lack of Star Wars talk on here as a sign of lack of enthusiasm?

It is for me. It ended with enough fans disappointed in 2005. They needed to leave the original canon alone. The task of refreshing a story that stared in 1977 and getting it to appeal to a target audience born roughly 40 years later is like trying to make additions to the Sistine Chapel. I'm pretty sure even George Lucas has no idea what would've happened after ROTJ. But everything before or during the original films is up for grabs.

Stuff like Solo, Rogue One and anything else should be the focus of the effort. You can do anything with those movies. It won't affect what's already written unless you do something to sabotage the original canon.

I've watched 6 movies centered on the idea of great power fighting a smaller one and I don't need any more. And there's no amount of cameos by 70-80 year old actors in hopes of striking nostalgia with me to make me excuse that Disney all but dug up a body that needed to be left alone

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It is for me. It ended with enough fans disappointed in 2005. They needed to leave the original canon alone. The task of refreshing a story that stared in 1977 and getting it to appeal to a target audience born roughly 40 years later is like trying to make additions to the Sistine Chapel. I'm pretty sure even George Lucas has no idea what would've happened after ROTJ. But everything before or during the original films is up for grabs.

Stuff like Solo, Rogue One and anything else should be the focus of the effort. You can do anything with those movies. It won't affect what's already written unless you do something to sabotage the original canon.

I've watched 6 movies centered on the idea of great power fighting a smaller one and I don't need any more. And there's no amount of cameos by 70-80 year old actors in hopes of striking nostalgia with me to make me excuse that Disney all but dug up a body that needed to be left alone
The word is that Disney felt they had to include the original trilogy actors to get fans back on board after the prequels. The problem is that the story is over for those characters. It's like seeing your teacher in the grocery store. It's sort of unnatural.

The Rise of Skywalker will be the last movie with the original group though. Harrison Ford was never that big on reprising Han in the first place, and Carrie Fisher (who will still be in Ep. 9 via unused footage) passed away. Mark Hamill might be up for more (if he likes what they do with the character), but he's sort of limited by the time frame a story is told. Disney also (rightly) wants the franchise to be durable enough to not need specific characters to draw people in.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Mandalorian looks really promising at least.
Agreed. The leaked behind the scenes teaser sort of gives me the impression that Jon Favreau is already sort of in charge of the Star Wars universe.

I don't really go looking for leaked media, but it's only a teaser trailer that they probably will release later, so who really cares. I figure they just didn't want to distract from Ep. 9's reveal.

Dave Filoni (no relation) is also a producer on The Mandalorian. As I've become more aware of the inner Lucasfilm politics, Filoni is apparently a popular pick among the fanbase for who should be running Star Wars. His name doesn't have a lot of clout industry-wide though. Filoni's role in the last few years has been leading Lucasfilm's animation department. The Mandalorian is his first real live-action project.

His Wikipedia page says that he's directing episode 1.1, presumably the first episode. An extremely important position as it sets the tone and aesthetic for the show that other directors follow. (Like Jon Favreau with Iron Man or Zach Snyder with Batman v Superman)

So if The Mandalorian is indeed a soft reset for Star Wars, the guy the fans would vote should be doing it is getting the chance to potentially define a whole new era.

edit: something I was thinking was regarding the video games. EA took out the microtransactions in Battlefront 2 and promises none in the upcoming game Fallen Order. I'm cynical enough to think that it may be Disney pressuring them since they hold the license and EA absolutely wants to keep it. Star Wars games have been dragged through the mud in recent years and if there's a reset coming, why not all media?

Lucasfilm has a past relationship with the now EA-owned BioWare. EA is known as a studio killer and kind of pressured them to make Anthem a Destiny clone, which is not to their strengths as a studio. Knights of the Old Republic 3 may not be the game BioWare wants to make right now, but it may be the game it needs to prove it's continued worth, and if The Mouse wants it, they'll get it.

It probably wouldn't be called KOTR3 because the old expanded universe was put aside by Disney, but a successor of that type. They haven't made an entry in 15 years now anyway.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Transistor is free on the Epic Games Store. In two weeks World of Goo becomes the free game.

The developer of Transistor is probably more well known for their previous game Bastion (plz nerf). I'd say that Bastion is the better game and the better game of its time. The cracks in that game show a bit more now as it's become more apparent it was somewhat buoyed by its narrator and art as the game itself was pretty simple.

Transistor is much more focused on things like reading and planning. It's also a much more mechanically complex game than Bastion, but for me, the gameplay hooks and the vague story didn't hold my attention for too long.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Roman Empire on Netflix is pretty entertaining. It's a hybrid documentary/historical drama with a no-name cast. The acting is pretty good though they're clearly on a pretty tight budget. The first season (Commodus) is narrated by Sean Bean. He doesn't come back for the following seasons, presumably because his character died as usual. The replacement is pretty good though. He's still got a gruff northern English/Sheffield type accent like Bean. The narration also isn't all that important, as the historical drama is the centerpiece of the show.

Despite it being technically a documentary, it's actually an entertainment product. They're clearly filling in the blanks of the drama with their own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad