OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wouldn't go anywhere near those shore towns right now. They're a giant cess pool and filled with NYC trash like always. I guess it's a good thing that majority of people are wearing masks walking around outside, but the bars are all jam packed, especially in Belmar. That place is a petri dish right now.
After seeing some pictures from these Shore towns, I'm not so sure the majority were wearing masks. The whole being outside means I don't need it kind of goes out the window when you're on a boardwalk with thousands of other people IMO. There will be a massive spike in NJ after this weekend I think.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
After seeing some pictures from these Shore towns, I'm not so sure the majority were wearing masks. The whole being outside means I don't need it kind of goes out the window when you're on a boardwalk with thousands of other people IMO. There will be a massive spike in NJ after this weekend I think.

Couldn't agree more with this. I generally don't wear a mask outside 'unless' I'm going to be in some type of crowd which I've avoided as much as possible. Even walking through town at times when people are all over the street outdoor dining makes me skittish if I don't have it on so I just walk through quickly.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Couldn't agree more with this. I generally don't wear a mask outside 'unless' I'm going to be in some type of crowd which I've avoided as much as possible. Even walking through town at times when people are all over the street outdoor dining makes me skittish if I don't have it on so I just walk through quickly.
I've got no problem with not having one when you're with a small group or whatever and not on top of each other so to speak but these videos from parties, bars, the boardwalks, etc make me look at this in a few ways. 1. Nobody follows the rules when it's a holiday 2. If there's no definitive spike after this weekend, why? 3. Stupid people will ALWAYS do stupid things regardless of what's going on around them.

Reactions: Patrik26

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I've got no problem with not having one when you're with a small group or whatever and not on top of each other so to speak but these videos from parties, bars, the boardwalks, etc make me look at this in a few ways. 1. Nobody follows the rules when it's a holiday 2. If there's no definitive spike after this weekend, why? 3. Stupid people will ALWAYS do stupid things regardless of what's going on around them.

#3 reminds me of the story I heard last week of groups of young men from a specific college (can’t remember which at the moment), that were throwing Covid19 parties to see who could catch it first. They were all pooling money in for the “winner”. I seriously worry about this world.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Though I do agree the odds for a spike are there, in regards to two if that happens, perhaps because people that are sick aren't going out and the virus isn't AS transmissible outdoors. A lot of times sudden big spikes are attributed to bars, nightclubs, cruise ships, meat packing plants and other enclosed environments. We didn't have a big spike after the protests though I suppose people were at least wearing masks for the most part then.

#3 reminds me of the story I heard last week of groups of young men from a specific college (can’t remember which at the moment), that were throwing Covid19 parties to see who could catch it first. They were all pooling money in for the “winner”. I seriously worry about this world.

I believe you're thinking of Alabama.

Alabama coronavirus parties offer payouts for those who get infected, official says - CNN

Calling them dumbasses doesn't even do them justice.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i can’t believe the coronavirus didn’t disappear in accordance with our timeline to re-open the country. it’s almost like the coronavirus doesn’t give a f*** about our economy, the disrespectful little shit

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
i can’t believe the coronavirus didn’t disappear in accordance with our timeline to re-open the country. it’s almost like the coronavirus doesn’t give a f*** about our economy, the disrespectful little shit

Who was saying this on here?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Though I do agree the odds for a spike are there, in regards to two if that happens, perhaps because people that are sick aren't going out and the virus isn't AS transmissible outdoors. A lot of times sudden big spikes are attributed to bars, nightclubs, cruise ships, meat packing plants and other enclosed environments. We didn't have a big spike after the protests though I suppose people were at least wearing masks for the most part then.

I believe you're thinking of Alabama.

Alabama coronavirus parties offer payouts for those who get infected, official says - CNN

Calling them dumbasses doesn't even do them justice.
The protests haven't been part of the spikes? I kinda thought they were. I could be wrong bc I haven't really read up on it though.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think he is just talking about a lot of Americans in general.

I guess I missed that part in the news. I honestly don’t know what people would like us to do differently. You can’t just keep printing money and handing it out to people. I’ve already seen multiple “mom and pop” type places close their doors permanently and large chain restaurants go under as well in my town.

The protests haven't been part of the spikes? I kinda thought they were. I could be wrong bc I haven't really read up on it though.

The protests were absolutely part of the spike. Large gatherings no matter what their cause will spread Covid, that’s why everyone was calling for a shutdown of the country and it’s activities.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The protests were absolutely part of the spike. Large gatherings no matter what their cause will spread Covid, that’s why everyone was calling for a shutdown of the country and it’s activities.
That's my thought on it too. Protests absolutely played a role in the spikes, I was surprised it was said above that it didn't. There will be another round of spikes after this weekend too because there for the most part has been no distancing that I've seen on social media. Everyone was at a party, everyone was on a boat at a party in the local boating spots, you would have no idea there was a pandemic if you looked at peoples timelines.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

We haven't spiked in NJ yet, that was the we I was referring to. NJ had protests too, there was one at my old high school among others. I'm sure it was a factor in other states though, since most other states have generally been less responsible to begin with till now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We haven't spiked in NJ yet, that was the we I was referring to. NJ had protests too. I'm sure it was a factor in other states though.
As much as I loathe Murphy for a plethora of reasons, his extremely slow approach to opening things up seems to have helped overall. That remains to be seen though about long term bc I feel there will be a rather substantial uptick after this weekend.

Camille the Eel

To suppress this, slow it, to keep it at least under control and manageable, the mask wearing and suppression of crowds has to be system wide and geographically wide. That it’s getting out of control, maybe beyond control in so many places insures it will come back with a vengeance elsewhere. The failure of leadership in dealing with it is appalling and depressing.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
To suppress this, slow it, to keep it at least under control and manageable, the mask wearing and suppression of crowds has to be system wide and geographically wide. That it’s getting out of control, maybe beyond control in so many places insures it will come back with a vengeance elsewhere. The failure of leadership in dealing with it is appalling and depressing.

Exactly what should our elected leaders do? I’m not defending or attacking either side of the aisle. But the idea that government can solve this short of martial law mandating EVERYONE is to quarantine is irrational thinking. See how long that would last before the cry of civil liberties violations are heard. The U.S. is beyond repair in so many ways and COVID-19 is magnifying that.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Exactly what should our elected leaders do? I’m not defending or attacking either side of the aisle. But the idea that government can solve this short of martial law mandating EVERYONE is to quarantine is irrational thinking. See how long that would last before the cry of civil liberties violations are heard. The U.S. is beyond repair in so many ways and COVID-19 is magnifying that.

they can start by setting an example and wearing a mask. they can stop saying complete falsehoods like ‘99% of covid-19 cases are harmless’. they can stop purposefully slowing down testing to make the numbers look better. etc etc

they don’t need to declare martial law, but they can certainly stop actively making the situation worse

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think the government took a lot of missteps in hind-sight, but we didn't have the data or the knowledge we have now.

If we had it all to do over again, the best action would have been to isolate the elderly and those with the underlying conditions that put them at high danger. The virus would have spread through the remaining population with a mortality rate probably significantly lower than the flu, creating "herd immunity" (god, I hate that term) within a few months.

Of course, we didn't know then what we know now.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the government took a lot of missteps in hind-sight, but we didn't have the data or the knowledge we have now.

If we had it all to do over again, the best action would have been to isolate the elderly and those with the underlying conditions that put them at high danger. The virus would have spread through the remaining population with a mortality rate probably significantly lower than the flu, creating "herd immunity" (god, I hate that term) within a few months.

Of course, we didn't know then what we know now.

If only there was, like, a task force or something that could have helped anticipate things and given guidance...

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If only there was, like, a task force or something that could have helped anticipate things and given guidance...
Well... the data wasn't really in yet, I think. I don't think the plan would have flown anyway, cause SOME people would have died, so there would be blame going around.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I stayed home all weekend, did some interior painting and pressure washed my fence. It didn't hurt that I am on-call for work and have to remain sober anyway :help:

I went to the beach. It was heartening to see other people there observing social distance and wearing a mask when they couldn't (Bathrooms, etc.).

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
they can start by setting an example and wearing a mask. they can stop saying complete falsehoods like ‘99% of covid-19 cases are harmless’. they can stop purposefully slowing down testing to make the numbers look better. etc etc

they don’t need to declare martial law, but they can certainly stop actively making the situation worse

They can set all the examples they want. The me, me, me crowd doesn’t care. They do what they want.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They can set all the examples they want. The me, me, me crowd doesn’t care. They do what they want.

It doesn’t matter, not every person is immovable. You influence even x number of people and there are y less infections and hospital beds taken up. Not to mention the federal government influenced certain state governments in a negative way too. Small things like this can help (although it was a secondhand comment from his mom)

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I wouldn't go anywhere near those shore towns right now. They're a giant cess pool and filled with NYC trash like always. I guess it's a good thing that majority of people are wearing masks walking around outside, but the bars are all jam packed, especially in Belmar. That place is a petri dish right now.
Well that's pretty unnecessary.

I can assure you most people I know scoff at the idea of going down the shore because many of the locals aren't and haven't been observing guidelines.

Your benny is our bridge and tunnel. Most people downtown who aren't restaurant/bar/club owners dread the weekend warriors pouring in through the Holland.

Just sayin chill on the rhetoric as that knife cuts both ways.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad