OT: COVID-19 general thread part II (and final part - see closing post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Discuss the virus and its impact on everyday life here (locally, worldwide or personally).

Reminder: Politics are still not allowed on HF with only limited exceptions, either directly relating to hockey, or in a general sense on the mainboard COVID forum, as per their ground rules post. You can make general posts or Tweets of fact related to the virus, such as 'Governor Murphy closed the parks in NJ today' and 'Trump is meeting with the sports commissioners' and comment on those specific types of actions but that's about it, we're not getting into political motives behind those actions or political critiques of governments around the world, whether it's the US, China or anywhere else. Posting other people's tweets with a pronounced political leaning fall under this umbrella as well. This is not up for debate.

And also, no more posting stuff from unverified randos on Twitter. There's more than enough from verified sources out there we don't need to go commenting on every rumor or speculation from the dark web. We don't tolerate it with hockey trade deadline stuff so the same applies to this naturally. Remember, HF standard rules apply to every thread on the site including this.

We appreciate your cooperation, and hope for the best for everyone as the virus continues to affect our daily lives.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Heard a week or so ago that this is a very stable pathogen, meaning the mutation rate is very low.

What was the source? If it was an article, I'd be interested to read it.

While I agree with the notion that it is starting to become almost the "in thing" to do to say you had corona virus months ago even if it was just allergies, I do think it's somewhat foolish to dismiss the possibility that some people did have it at the end of 2019. I can't prove it, but knowing me as well as I do, whatever I had was something I've never had before. People around me were concerned because they never see me sick like that. Quite literally every symptom box was ticked. Most damning was the cough and shortness of breath that was severe enough to hinder or prevent my sleep for weeks and that didn't fully go away for 6 or more weeks. And I was in a ton of airports around that time. At least 5 different airports on at least 10 occassions. Long layovers too (3 plus hours in Detroit 3 times).

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

While I agree with the notion that it is starting to become almost the "in thing" to do to say you had corona virus months ago even if it was just allergies, I do think it's somewhat foolish to dismiss the possibility that some people did have it at the end of 2019. I can't prove it, but knowing me as well as I do, whatever I had was something I've never had before. People around me were concerned because they never see me sick like that. Quite literally every symptom box was ticked. Most damning was the cough and shortness of breath that was severe enough to hinder or prevent my sleep for weeks and that didn't fully go away for 6 or more weeks. And I was in a ton of airports around that time. At least 5 different airports on at least 10 occassions. Long layovers too (3 plus hours in Detroit 3 times).

I remember seeing that it was very stable too. I think it was a TV interview with someone from the CDC.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

As far as people possibly having it in this country earlier then what we thought? Wouldn't be that surprising, and maybe you do fit the profile more then most people, but I hear it way more then is likely possible. Heck I've had some probable allergy symptoms hit recently that I can't help but think might be corona, but then they pass and I realize they probably weren't.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

As far as people possibly having it in this country earlier then what we thought? Wouldn't be that surprising, and maybe you do fit the profile more then most people, but I hear it way more then is likely possible. Heck I've had some probable allergy symptoms hit recently that I can't help but think might be corona, but then they pass and I realize they probably weren't.
I dunno. The thing's a really weird virus, but I think it would have spread more quickly earlier if it was around.

BTW, I'm fairly certain I have the virus with extremely mild symptoms. All I had was a 99.7-ish fever for 3 weeks. I would never have guessed I had it, but my GF has the same thing with a cough, and her mother had a 102 fever, heavy cough, trouble breathing, and loss of sense of taste (which to me is the clincher that she has it). Her doctor, whom they only consulted via phone, is convinced they have it.

Unfortunately, because my girlfriend and my symptoms are so mild I can't get a test and her mother is virtually bedridden so we won't be dragging her out for testing. Also, for me, they make it pretty hard in NJ, requiring a doctor's prescription and virtually life threatening symptoms, and it's not that much easier in NYC where they live. I'd love to know for sure, but presume I have it so I do everything in my power to not give it to anyone else. I'd also love to donate plasma if I do indeed have it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not saying it wasn't here earlier or not just what happened to me. I traveled a lot through numerous airports from October to early March and haven't been sick at all so who the hell knows.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out after work.

I also agree that it likely wasn't nearly as widespread then as it is now.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
@TheUnseenHand

I’m hearing quite a few stories now like yours, including mine where people got sicker than they have ever been and tested negative for the flu and other known illness. Glad to hear that you got over it and I would be interested to see your results if you can ever take one of the tests to see if you’ve previously had. Honestly I don’t think I would purposely put myself into higher risk situations if I found out I had it because I’m already obviously entrenched in this all every day but I also know that the CDC originally said there is no need for masks and that animals couldn’t get COVID19, so I’m not overly confident in taking their word on that you can’t get this twice.

Two things I forgot to add was that when I was out sick for the first time in decades, I stayed home all week. That’s how bad I felt. Waking up and trying to do computer work remotely was hell. Also, when my mother was in the hospital they called what she had a pneumonia like respiratory illness (but not pneumonia). It absolutely kicked her ass. There was some sort of medicine that the RN was trying to get approval for but she said that the health insurance companies hardly ever approve it because they don’t want to pay the expense (her words, not mine). Once they gave her whatever it was, she had as they said a miraculous turn around that made her strong enough to be able to be take off the respirator.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
All eyes should be on the east to see what happens when you lift the “lockdowns”.

My Experience:

I did some traveling just as Covid-19 kicked off in NY, to include a international flight and 3 stops domestic flight.(One of my flights was from NYC.) I tested positive for influenza A, does that mean I didn’t or couldn’t catch Covid-19? This was early March and NY had cases, but nobody asked me anything nor did I get a test for Covid-19. Ironically, once it started to get bad in NY a few weeks later, people started asking me questions? At that point I could have infected a ton of people. At the time the Doctor said there was nothing to worry about? There is still so much bad information out there and too much political BS.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
All eyes should be on the east to see what happens when you lift the “lockdowns”.

My Experience:

I did some traveling just as Covid-19 kicked off in NY, to include a international flight and 3 stops domestic flight.(One of my flights was from NYC.) I tested positive for influenza A, does that mean I didn’t or couldn’t catch Covid-19? This was early March and NY had cases, but nobody asked me anything nor did I get a test for Covid-19. Ironically, once it started to get bad in NY a few weeks later, people started asking me questions? At that point I could have infected a ton of people. At the time the Doctor said there was nothing to worry about? There is still so much bad information out there and too much political BS.
My sister-in-law had pink eye on 3/4 and was diagnosed with the FLU. About two weeks later her parents both tested positive for Covid-19 with her mother passing away this Saturday. Her father is going on day 9 of the ventilator and things aren't looking great for him either. Thinking back I wonder if my sister-in-law also had covid-19 and didn't know it since they weren't testing for it...and now they say pink eye could be a rare symptom. Scary stuff since we had a family gathering which she fortunately backed out of.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I dunno. The thing's a really weird virus, but I think it would have spread more quickly earlier if it was around.

BTW, I'm fairly certain I have the virus with extremely mild symptoms. All I had was a 99.7-ish fever for 3 weeks. I would never have guessed I had it, but my GF has the same thing with a cough, and her mother had a 102 fever, heavy cough, trouble breathing, and loss of sense of taste (which to me is the clincher that she has it). Her doctor, whom they only consulted via phone, is convinced they have it.

Unfortunately, because my girlfriend and my symptoms are so mild I can't get a test and her mother is virtually bedridden so we won't be dragging her out for testing. Also, for me, they make it pretty hard in NJ, requiring a doctor's prescription and virtually life threatening symptoms, and it's not that much easier in NYC where they live. I'd love to know for sure, but presume I have it so I do everything in my power to not give it to anyone else. I'd also love to donate plasma if I do indeed have it.

My hope is that you and yours (and everyone) experience no significant problems and this passes quickly. As painful as the process is I hope the peace of mind you will have once it is passed for you and the gf and of course her mom will be some solace. This virus can't pass soon enough. Hang in there.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My sister-in-law had pink eye on 3/4 and was diagnosed with the FLU. About two weeks later her parents both tested positive for Covid-19 with her mother passing away this Saturday. Her father is going on day 9 of the ventilator and things aren't looking great for him either. Thinking back I wonder if my sister-in-law also had covid-19 and didn't know it since they weren't testing for it...and now they say pink eye could be a rare symptom. Scary stuff since we had a family gathering which she fortunately backed out of.
Ugh. Sorry to hear that.

BTW, strangely, I had pink eye just a few months go in late October. Seems completely unrelated and an absolute coincidence, but I thought it was worth noting.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Sorry for your loss man. I just lost my brother-in-law. 56. Tried to work from home while having the virus. Seemed to recover fully. Heart attack after 21 days from first symptoms. Take it easy on yourselves even if you think you've made it through it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Ugh. Sorry to hear that.

BTW, strangely, I had pink eye just a few months go in late October. Seems completely unrelated and an absolute coincidence, but I thought it was worth noting.

My family had a mild cold that lasted about 5 weeks. My son had pink eye - and I had a mild case. Might mean nothing, but...

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

So sorry to hear about this. I hope her father pulls through and you all find peace.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Sorry for your loss man. I just lost my brother-in-law. 56. Tried to work from home while having the virus. Seemed to recover fully. Heart attack after 21 days from first symptoms. Take it easy on yourselves even if you think you've made it through it.

What I learned years ago works for what you just posted. Take care of yourself because your job will have you replaced as soon as your gone. I might need to look into taking my own words as my job just 2 days ago sent out communication that they are essentially looking for us to be spending more time in these stores starting now. As I’ve stated, I’m in the thick of it every day and now they are essentially looking for another 2 hours per day from me.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
My friend's Mom just passed away yesterday of Covid-19. I'm heartbroken for him right now.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
upload_2020-4-8_22-36-23.png

How that lined up gave me a chuckle

But yea, what he said. The first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad