Music: Covers that are different but as good or better than the original

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What are your faves? "Different" meaning significantly different from the original in tone, instrumentation, arrangement, etc.

I have two:

Probably one of the best covers I've ever heard tbh.

--

And this one isn't far behind.

--

Honourable Mention:

But I love Physical in general, so I might be biased.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Otis Redding cover of Sam Cookes change is gonna come

orville pecks cover of small-town boy by bronski beat

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Metallica's covers of Whiskey in the Jar and Turn the Page are both better than the originals.

Motorhead's covers of Shoot 'em Down and God Save the Queen are better than the originals.

Wasn't All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix a cover of Clapton?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug and m9

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Bob Dylan
Yeah, i just looked it up. found a website "secondhandsongs.com" that is basically a music wiki for covers. it's mind blowing how many songs are covers -- even the Thin Lizzy Whiskey in the Jar was a cover and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Call Me the Breeze" was not only a cover - but it was a cover of song that was first released only 3 years! earlier. I wonder if it bugged JJ Cale to hear the cover of his 'new' song being constantly played on the radio for 30 years while his never did - or maybe he'd just grin and count his royalty checks.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

I love Peter Gabriel's version, of course. But there is something to be said about how different this version sounds. So much more empty/sad while Gabriel's version is happier/warm.

Reactions: Mescaleroman

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Clash's "I Fought the Law" > The Crickets' "I Fought the Law" > The Bobby Fuller Four's "I Fought the Law"
Cat Power's "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" > / = The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
Cat Power's "Kingsport Town" > Bob Dylan's "Kingsport Town"?
Cat Power's "Troubled Waters" > / = Mae West (featuring Duke Ellington's Orchestra)'s "Troubled Waters"
Cat Power's "Naked, If I Want To" > Moby Grape's "Naked, If I Want To"
Cat Power's "Sweedeedee" > Michael Hurley's "Sweedeedee"
Cat Power's "I Found a Reason" > The Velvet Underground's "I Found a Reason"
Cat Power's "Paths of Victory" > Bob Dylan's "Paths of Victory"? (based on the latter's live version at least)
Cat Power's "Salty Dog" > Papa Charlie Jackson's "Salty Dog"
Cat Power's "Sea of Love" > Phil Phillips' "Sea of Love"
Yo La Tengo's "Oklahoma, U.S.A." > Ray Davies' "Oklahoma, U.S.A."
Decapitated's "Mandatory Suicide" > Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide"
Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" > Ritchie Valens' "Summertime Blues" > The Who's "Summertime Blues" > Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues"
Type O Negative's "Summer Breeze" > Seals & Crofts' "Summer Breeze"

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Metallica's covers of Whiskey in the Jar and Turn the Page are both better than the originals.

Motorhead's covers of Shoot 'em Down and God Save the Queen are better than the originals.

Wasn't All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix a cover of Clapton?
I'm a pretty big Metallica fan but I definitely prefer Seger's version of Turn the Page. Now I prefer Metallica's cover of Tuesday's Gone over Skynrds but they are pretty similar.

Off the top of my head, I like Machine Heads cover of Message in a Bottle better than the original by The Police. Can't imagine many would agree with me on that tho.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't know, I've always found Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower to be really annoying and cheesy, even though I normally like Hendrix alot and love the original.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
House of the Rising Sun by the Animals.

Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Sons of the East - Hold On (Drake)

Whiskey Myers - Bar, Guitar and a Honky Tonk Crowd (Brent Cobb)

Five Finger Death Punch - Blue on Black (Kenny Wayne Sheppard - they have a version w. him as well)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad