Confirmed with Link: Country singer George Canyon is the next anthem singer of the Calgary Flames

Aug 3, 2010
Not a huge deal but thought I'd share.

from Twitter:

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 29m29 minutes ago

We're proud to announce @georgecanyon is the official singing voice of the #Flames in 2014-15! http://cflam.es/1sVRyla

B0FkmXtCUAALuEj.jpg

Interesting choice. I don't mind or care for country music either way but I hope he has a good voice for the Flames. He's had appearances as the anthem singer before.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sorry, II, George Canyon is a terrible name for a singer. And I generally mistrust anyone who brings a cowboy hat with them to sing.

Aug 3, 2010
I couldn't find a clip of him singing the anthem, but I settled for a live performance of his cover of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire:

He's not bad. Not a huge fan of country music but he has a decent voice, I just hope Canyon doesn't Hollywood the song and turn it into something unnecessarily overperformed.

Also, count your blessings that it's not Jan Arden.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's not bad. Not a huge fan of country music but he has a decent voice, I just hope Canyon doesn't Hollywood the song and turn it into something unnecessarily overperformed.

It's true that it's a good thing that the song he's singing is fixed and he can't add too much creative licence. I'm just not looking forward to having to hear those damn yelping noises that country musicians seem so fond of during the anthems.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You know, I will say, it's pretty neat to have as the national anthem singer the guy who famously played "F-35 pilot" in the latest Superman movie.

DomeFoams

Jun 27, 2014
As a country music fan i enjoy this pick, George is a good Canadian guy and a Flames fan im assuming.

Also got Hoyt Perkins

Aug 3, 2010
He got his name from here.

Considering his real name was Frederick George Lays, the generator says:

What’s your Country Star Name?

"Frederick George Lays your Country Star Name is Kenny Pitts"

OR

"Frederick Lays your Country Star Name is Scooter Perkins"

Think he's glad he went with George Canyon. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
George Canyon's Country Star Name is Stonewall Perkins.

We need to go deeper.

Stonewall Perkins your Country Star Name is Luke McClinton

We need to go deeper.

Luke McClinton your Country Star Name is Little John Nelson

We need to go deeper...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad