Countdown to Camp - Ryan O'Reilly

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Today's edition of Countdown to Camp focuses on everyone's favorite negotiation guru, Ryan O'Reilly.

It has grown pretty apparent that most here would say that they love ROR on the ice but are getting tired of his negotiation antics. He ended up agreeing to an AAV that most thought was reasonable but for much less term than we would like (motivation for this deal on both sides is questionable). In all fairness he has led the league in takeaways and his team in goals for two of the past three seasons. My only knocks against his on ice product would be his skating ability, which has improved each year, and his ability to create offense on his own (without Dutchy or Landy on his line). Off the ice, it is hard to get a read on how he affects the team. I recall MacK and Barrie getting some good work in with ROR for training purposes but have also heard some rumors that he does not have the best locker room personality. And there is no telling how the other players feel about his negotiation tactics. Needless to say, I love his on ice product but have begun to question my respect for him as a person/teammate.

Will ROR be here through next year and sign an extension sometime next summer or do we see him traded this or next season sometime? Will he be able to continue leading the Avs in the goals and takeaway departments? Can he be a 30 goal scorer in this league?

hardhat-495x371.jpg

OReilly.jpg

131201030308_ryanoreilly.jpg

163015864_slide.jpg

top_oreilly.jpg

factor_mailbag_instory.jpg

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Today's edition of Countdown to Camp focuses on everyone's favorite negotiation guru, Ryan O'Reilly.

It has grown pretty apparent that most here would say that they love ROR on the ice but are getting tired of his negotiation antics. He ended up agreeing to an AAV that most thought was reasonable but for much less term than we would like (motivation for this deal on both sides is questionable). In all fairness he has led the league in takeaways

Selke-caliber.

Will ROR be here through next year and sign an extension sometime next summer or do we see him traded this or next season sometime? Will he be able to continue leading the Avs in the goals and takeaway departments? Can he be a 30 goal scorer in this league?

Unfortunately, the Avs are going to have to trade O'R. Sometimes people are simply too difficult to deal with on the business end of things, regardless of what skill they bring to the table. I've seen it many times myself in the business world. O'R is going UFA in two years, and he will not sign a contract prior to that, unless he's made one of the - oh, I don't know - top 10 salaried players in the world. Something like that. Given that the Avs aren't likely to offer him a contract worth $2M+ more than Duchene/Landeskog, they'll have no choice but to trade him. That said……..

I have a nasty sinking feeling that O'Reilly is going to become Stastny v2, in that the Avs are going to try to negotiate (with someone who can't be negotiated with), they'll get to next season's trade deadline without a deal in place, they won't trade him, we'll hear Sakic vomit platitudes like "….it's his right as a player under the CBA…blahblahblah", and the Avs will lose O'R as a UFA for nothing in return. You heard it here first. ;)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hope for 30 goals or more so Avs get more when they trade him next summer after discovering, unexpectedly, he won't agree to a reasonable extension.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I think we've already considered they'll be in the middle of a run next year and just keep him. :laugh: Seriously though, with the main pieces of the roster set and $15M to play with I think they try to make a run next year.

ROR won't get traded this year. I'm certain of it. They will give the extension thing one more go next summer and if not then they have their answer. What they plan to do about it is anyone's guess.

He's a great player to have. Love him on the team. He and Duchene are the most fun to watch together.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ideally... ROR would score 30+ goals AND sign a contract next offseason. I fully expect 25-30 goals and no contract next offseason though.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
He only negotiates so hard because he needs enough money to become part cyborg to dominate the league

In all seriousness if he is a top point producer on this team again along with his selke caliber defense, we should pay him. I hate how hard it is to sign him but as I look back, he just gets better and better.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
My prediction is that he comes out on opening night to a new theme song by 2 chainz, which has the word "Money" a ridiculous amount of times, a diamond encrusted mouth guard, a letter on his sweater that is the dollar sign, which is gold plated with diamonds, and he ghost rides a solid gold Zamboni for about 10 minutes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My prediction is that he comes out on opening night to a new theme song by 2 chainz, which has the word "Money" a ridiculous amount of times, a diamond encrusted mouth guard, a letter on his sweater that is the dollar sign, which is gold plated with diamonds, and he ghost rides a solid gold Zamboni for about 10 minutes.

If he did that... I would be the first one clamoring to pay him $10+m a season. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad