Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Look who we throw out on D......not one would make the Bruins and Im including Reilly because they know he is terrible on D. Then you have Sammy and not making big stops.

Then we were all brainwashed to think we needed more grit because we got pushed around. How is that working for us? We may be better after the whistle but we pay the price when the puck drops because alot of these gritty guys have no skill. We doubled the hits on the Bruins last night....and they won....go figure....I team can win being out hit ....you hear that Don?

The misery isnt seeing Nylander and Mathews on the ice ....its the constant crap players we get to appease the fans. When is the last time we had a D that could play the power play? How about some D that can kill off penalties. How many times to we see them out of position because they want to lay a hit?

Taveres eating 11 mil a year doesnt help either. Marner struggles. But what about the rest of the team? Why is Reaves out on the ice down 2 .....he should never see the ice.

Tre had lots of time to correct this.....he chose to go the cheap route. Pick up big D that the previous teams no longer wanted....They may well be suited for a team playing the trap but we need offence so we get players that have no hockey IQ and their outlet pass is off the boards.

And who do we have on the bench? Gio and Lilly....more guys that struggle making decisions.

We constantly blamed our forwards for not playing D and thats why we suffered defensively but we refuse to deal accept that we need our D to help our offence.

Sorry....just frustrated.

Wasnt expecting much this year....it didnt help that Willy had migranes and Mathews is battling a flu or food poisoning. It would be nice if Tavares...Bert...Domi....Knies...etc would offer something offensively but again....invisable

And can we stop praising Reilly for one good playoff series last year....another player that fits the agenda of fans that will hail him as being great when he is part of the big problem on D IMHO .....I remember years ago fans complained he should be playing forward because he is always behind the opposing net.
You're not wrong and I feel your frustration. Rielly is a huge disappointment and I don't even think he's a #2 on a Cup contending team. I was hoping we'd see a different Rielly in the playoffs, but alas, nope. He's just really overrated by Leaf fans.

Reactions: hullsy47

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Have you seen the terrible D assembled? This isn't all on core players... we surrounded them with some of the worst players we've had in the Matthews era and are surprised about the results.

Once again, the core is sucking, but the garbage surrounding them is not helping.
12 playoff games without scoring more than 2 goals a game is not good enough from Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander (who was away for the first three games) who make more than 50% of your cap space.

Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The 2019-20 team was easily worse.

Depending on how the rest of the playoffs go, this will be the worst team.

I have little faith, but I still have some faith and a lot of hope they turn things around, but just based on the series so far, it doesn't look good.

12 playoff games without scoring more than 2 goals a game is not good enough from Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander (who was away for the first three games) who make more than 50% of your cap space.

Having D with 0 offensive IQ does not help this situation.

We needed more scoring like you said, and we went out and got tougher and more defensive-minded.

The lack of scoring is not surprising to me.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
You're not wrong and I feel your frustration. Rielly is a huge disappointment and I don't even think he's a #2 on a Cup contending team. I was hoping we'd see a different Rielly in the playoffs, but alas, nope. He's just really overrated by Leaf fans.

I just find it funny because he gets a pass from last year performance ...yet all the years before and now this year.....he isnt good defensively....and the team spends way too much time to find him a partner. The guy is over 220 but plays like he is 180

but he went after a Sens players taking a slap shot on a breakaway. Why did the breakaway happen? We never think of that....we just praise his push back.....and in the end...he is still terrible defensively.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No one told Dubas to sign these draft picks to half the salary cap.

I guess that's what happen when you entrust Brock University Sports Management former stick boys to one of the biggest jobs in sports...

This.

I know you hate Dubas, but Treliving is re-signing them to raises.

I'd focus on the current GM if you hate how the team is constructed.

The trend is continuing.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
From the predictions I saw, Leafs were slight favorites as most cited the loss of talent in Boston along with the added "grit" from the Leafs additions.

Also many mentioned this is finally the year after they won a round last season.

Either way, Leafs have no excuses for not beating Boston this season.
This Leaf offence can't use Swayman as the reason we're not winning. They have to find a way to beat good goaltending. Swayman is no Hellebyuck, yet Colorado is finding ways to score 17 goals on him in 3 games. Time to stop with the excuses and make changes.

Reactions: BallardEra

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I have little faith, but I still have some faith and a lot of hope they turn things around, but just based on the series so far, it doesn't look good.

Having D with 0 offensive IQ does not help this situation.

We needed more scoring like you said, and we went out and got tougher and more defensive-minded.

The lack of scoring is not surprising to me.

Blowing a 3-1 series to the Montreal Canadiens and losing a fake playoff round to the Columbus Blue Jackets were "better" losses.

You're truly a fine connoisseur of losing.

I guess those ones went down easier :laugh:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Blowing a 3-1 series to the Montreal Canadiens and losing a fake playoff round to the Columbus Blue Jackets were "better" losses.

You're truly a fine connoisseur of losing.

I guess those ones went down easier :laugh:

Statistically yes, if we are out in 5, that is the worst series we've had.

Even the play-in we had 2 wins.

All the losses suck and they are losers every year, but the team looks worse this year and statistically, unless they turn things around this is the worst loss.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I just find it funny because he gets a pass from last year performance ...yet all the years before and now this year.....he isnt good defensively....and the team spends way too much time to find him a partner. The guy is over 220 but plays like he is 180

but he went after a Sens players taking a slap shot on a breakaway. Why did the breakaway happen? We never think of that....we just praise his push back.....and in the end...he is still terrible defensively.
Skating used to be one of his strengths. I just don't see it anymore. And, he's a tragedy defensively so if he isn't skating and producing offence, wtf is he good for?

Reactions: seventieslord

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think this is the year you guys finally beat them in the playoffs.

After a 4-1 win in game 5 you will be back believing lol
4 goals?!?!?!? These Toronto Maple Leafs?!?!?

It takes them 2 to 3 games to score that much in the playoffs

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Statistically yes, if we are out in 5, that is the worst series we've had.

Even the play-in we had 2 wins.

All the losses suck and they are losers every year, but the team looks worse this year and statistically, unless they turn things around this is the worst loss.

Mmm yes they lost so much better in those first-round and fake playoffs series'

Like I said, you've got very very high standards for first round losses.

Blowing a 3-1 series is superior to losing in 5.

You've got it all figured out.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
😂

Who's going to give an "excellent" dman for 1 year of Mitch marner?
Again who's going to give an "excellent defensive centre" for 1 year of Tavares.

If for some reason you actually want those guys get them in 1 year as ufas and you don't need to give up your "excellent" assets.

The amount fans here overvalue team assets.
For ure the last year of a contract is the worst situation. Hope for your team they can get quality ufa signings once big contracts are expired.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Except... he acts like he's 13. Throwing his gloves on the bench? Losing his composure.. yet another example of Marner being a distraction to this team. The minute he did that, it was gonna be all over the internet.

It looks bad because it’s Marner being Marner and the Leafs lost. If that was Mackinnon and the temper tantrum led to some productive team turnaround that would have been another act of hockey passion.

I wonder who picked up the gloves?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca

So the result in the playoffs is how you arbitrarily rank the teams? So this is your ranking if I'm inferring correctly:

1) 2022-23 (Only postseason round win)
2) 2021-22 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 1 goal)
3) 2020-21 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 2 goals)
4) 2017-18 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 3 goals)
5) 2018-19 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 4 goals)
6) 2019-20 (2 postseason wins, 3 losses)
7) 2016-17 (2 postseason wins, 4 losses)
8) 2023-24 (Assuming 1 postseason win with a game 5 loss)

The way the 2019-20 team was playing before the pandemic they almost certainly would have missed the playoffs. I wouldn't just rank the Matthews era teams solely based on postseason wins.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So the result in the playoffs is how you arbitrarily rank the teams? So this is your ranking if I'm inferring correctly:

1) 2022-23 (Only postseason round win)
2) 2021-22 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 1 goal)
3) 2020-21 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 2 goals)
4) 2017-18 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 3 goals)
5) 2018-19 (3 postseason wins, lost game 7 by 4 goals)
6) 2019-20 (2 postseason wins, 3 losses)
7) 2016-17 (2 postseason wins, 4 losses)
8) 2023-24 (Assuming 1 postseason win with a game 5 loss)

The way the 2019-20 team was playing before the pandemic they almost certainly would have missed the playoffs. I wouldn't just rank the Matthews era teams solely based on postseason wins.

So we are not going by results anymore? It's hard to keep up.

I will just rank them by wins and not expect wins.

No one uses context for anything else... this thread is a good example.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I know you hate Dubas, but Treliving is re-signing them to raises.

I'd focus on the current GM if you hate how the team is constructed.

The trend is continuing.
No. It is Shanahan who proclaimed none of the Core are going anywhere, then the re-signings happened.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Look who we throw out on D......not one would make the Bruins and Im including Reilly because they know he is terrible on D. Then you have Sammy and not making big stops.

Then we were all brainwashed to think we needed more grit because we got pushed around. How is that working for us? We may be better after the whistle but we pay the price when the puck drops because alot of these gritty guys have no skill. We doubled the hits on the Bruins last night....and they won....go figure....I team can win being out hit ....you hear that Don?

The misery isnt seeing Nylander and Mathews on the ice ....its the constant crap players we get to appease the fans. When is the last time we had a D that could play the power play? How about some D that can kill off penalties. How many times do we see them out of position because they want to lay a hit?

Taveres eating 11 mil a year doesnt help either. Marner struggles. But what about the rest of the team? Why is Reaves out on the ice down 2 .....he should never see the ice.

Tre had lots of time to correct this.....he chose to go the cheap route. Pick up big D that the previous teams no longer wanted....They may well be suited for a team playing the trap but we need offence so we get players that have no hockey IQ and their outlet pass is off the boards.

And who do we have on the bench? Gio and Lilly....more guys that struggle making decisions.

We constantly blamed our forwards for not playing D and thats why we suffered defensively but we refuse to accept that we need our D to help our offence.

Sorry....just frustrated.

Wasnt expecting much this year....it didnt help that Willy had migranes and Mathews is battling a flu or food poisoning. It would be nice if Tavares...Bert...Domi....Knies...etc would offer something offensively but again....they are no shows.

And can we stop praising Reilly for one good playoff series last year....another player that fits the agenda of fans that will hail him as being great when he is part of the big problem on D IMHO .....I remember years ago fans complained he should be playing forward because he is always behind the opposing net.

Toronto needs to build from the net out, the positives going forward is Brad has done a good job on Calgary doing just that. He's been able to identify good goaltending (Markstrom) and build a d-core that has size and mobility (Weeger,Anderson,Hanafin,Tanev,Zadorov), that's a quailty d-core.

44 isn't the perfect d-man and make's his mistakes, but he's forced to play with a d-core that is out of it element.

McAovy gets to go out with Lindholm or Carlo, true top 4 dman, 44 gets to go out with Bush etc.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This team is not as good as last year bc we actually had someone like ROR.
This team despite the current results is heading the right direction. Just need a better coach, you can’t put Revo on down 2 goals with 2 mins left, top guys to play like top guys and a more consistent and better goalie.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
So we are not going by results anymore? It's hard to keep up.

I will just rank them by wins and not expect wins.

No one uses context for anything else... this thread is a good example.
The 2019-20 team would have missed the playoffs if not for the pandemic, which results wise would have made them the worst team outright.

Also expectations have to be factored in too. The 2016-17 team would be ranked higher by me as an example because they exceeded expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad