Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
You can't blame Sammy but he is letting in weaker goals than Boston's goalies...It doesn't matter when the boys don't score, but if even if they were scoring its kind of like spotting the opposition to a 1 or 2 zip lead every game. hopefully can be addressed for next year.
Its not all Samsonov's fault, but he certainly isn't helping when he's been letting in some back breaking goals this series and he doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he can be counted on to bail you out when needed to.

Leafs offense is of course the biggest problem, but if the Leafs lose against Boston again do you really want to bring him back after a season where he's had massive ups and downs and has looked decent not great in the playoffs so far?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Knicks last finals appearance was in 1999 which was a lockout shortened year (they lost) and they have done shit all since then. 5 first round exits, 16 seasons without even making the playoffs, 2 first round wins, 1 conference final appearance.
well the leafs last finals appearance was 1967.. 32 years difference

leafs have how many first round exits since 1999... more than 5 that's for sure

how many season without the playoffs... definitely not 16 but it's close...

1 first round win in 2 decades, no conference finals appearance

lol the Knicks are not as bad as the Leafs these last 20 years respectively.

The Leafs officially own the worst f*ing playoff record in all of professional sports in the last 20 years, it has to be... can you believe it, this franchise is an utter embarssement

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Solution for the Leafs :
1. Trade Marner for a top D. Excellent in his own zone + good on zone exit/transition game.
2. Trade Tavares for excellent defensive center + excellent defensive winger, both players can eat many minutes, not scoring that much but have constant + stats. Try to have better 3rd and 4th line.
3. Hire new management newer guys, modern ideas.
4. Try to improve goalie. Always have good back up goalie.
Wonderful in theory, but:
1. Nobody will give you a top D for Marner - maybe a second pairing on a bad contract.
2. Tavares maybe will get you a bag of pucks - but you'll have to pay shipping both ways.

(3 and 4 are absolutely critical.)

Reactions: seventieslord

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Fire Keefe

Fire Tavares

more importantly the architect of this colossal failure

FIRE ShanaCON

ABSOLUTE JOKES

The worst thing that ever happened was Leafs signing Tavares
As emotionally charged as this post is, I only read facts.

When we signed Tavares I thought it could have a Hossa in Chicago effect. But it created a huge issue with our original young core and strangled the Maple Leafs ability to build a championship team.

We lose in 5 and everything this poster said must happen. We need new leadership and culture change. Build around AM34 and Willy. I’m a huge Rielly believer since 2012 - I’m ready to move on. Let him find success elsewhere.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You can't blame Sammy but he is letting in weaker goals than Boston's goalies...It doesn't matter when the boys don't score, but if even if they were scoring its kind of like spotting the opposition to a 1 or 2 zip lead every game. hopefully can be addressed for next year.
Sammy makes all saves look difficult. Woll was a calming presence, was in position and eating pucks up.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
If i actually make it to my 80's I am going to be a slobbering, filth-emanating biohazard.
well the last 4 cups they won (which you've seen) were in the 60s and the first of those 4 was in 1962, which was 64 years ago

so you're 64 years old at the very least but at 64 I doubt you saw it lol... so maybe 70s then.

Still, it's nice that you know how to use all this current "social media" garbage at that age... most 70-somethings can't even find the "on" button on a laptop or phone

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
you're in your 80s man.... congratulations for still being able to use the internet like this?
70s, you young whippersnapper! And you're the one replying to the wrong poster!

I was a systems designer for over 30 years, including PC, mainframe, and internet.

And get off my lawn!

By the way, 1962 was 62 years ago, not 64 - haven't you figured out how to get Alexa to do basic arithmetic for you? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Still, it's nice that you know how to use all this current "social media" garbage at that age... most 70-somethings can't even find the "on" button on a laptop or phone
homer-any.png

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Its not all Samsonov's fault, but he certainly isn't helping when he's been letting in some back breaking goals this series and he doesn't exactly inspire confidence that he can be counted on to bail you out when needed to.

Leafs offense is of course the biggest problem, but if the Leafs lose against Boston again do you really want to bring him back after a season where he's had massive ups and downs and has looked decent not great in the playoffs so far?
What are the options? Think you get him back on another show me contract and make sure he knows he is 1B unless he shows he outplays Woll.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Solution for the Leafs :
1. Trade Marner for a top D. Excellent in his own zone + good on zone exit/transition game.
2. Trade Tavares for excellent defensive center + excellent defensive winger, both players can eat many minutes, not scoring that much but have constant + stats. Try to have better 3rd and 4th line.
3. Hire new management newer guys, modern ideas.
4. Try to improve goalie. Always have good back up goalie.
😂

Who's going to give an "excellent" dman for 1 year of Mitch marner?
Again who's going to give an "excellent defensive centre" for 1 year of Tavares.

If for some reason you actually want those guys get them in 1 year as ufas and you don't need to give up your "excellent" assets.

The amount fans here overvalue team assets.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Too drunk and lazy to read this whole thread so I’ll just say it and sorry iver it’s been coveted already. How about instead of yelling at each other on the bench someone in the core 4 actually goes out and show they give a f*** about the hockey game they are in. Score a goal. Slash someone hard. Jump somebody. Just do something that shows you care about the game f***.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
Zero bad goals against tonight. And our powerhouse offence scored 1. You are focusing on the wrong thing. I am hoping Woll starts game 5, which I think is why he was in for the third tonight. Begging your goalie to only give up 1 so you have a chance to win is loserville man, and the goalie is the least of your concerns.

I disagree. He overplayed on both the 1st and 2nd goal. He's also just been subpar the entire series.

Furthermore, commenting on goaltending specifically doesn't excuse our putrid offence.

I made a comment earlier in this PGT about our offence.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Sammy makes all saves look difficult. Woll was a calming presence, was in position and eating pucks up.
Toronto has the 2nd best goalie every series for 8 straight years, I wouldn’t put the series on him, but at some point Toronto needs to have an advantage in net at some point.

Watching this dallas/Vegas game, Samsonov couldn’t hold the jock strap for Thompson or Ottenger.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
😂

Who's going to give an "excellent" dman for 1 year of Mitch marner?
Again who's going to give an "excellent defensive centre" for 1 year of Tavares.

If for some reason you actually want those guys get them in 1 year as ufas and you don't need to give up your "excellent" assets.

The amount fans here overvalue team assets.
I think Marner for EK is a possibility from Dubas

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Toronto has the 2nd best goalie every series for 8 straight years, I wouldn’t put the series on him, but at some point Toronto needs to have an advantage in net at some point.

Watching this dallas/Vegas game, Samsonov couldn’t hold the jock strap for Thompson or Ottenger.

100%.

The reason Boston's PP looks undefendable is because Samsonov overplays the shots and then they just pass it to the open man when Samsonov comes 5 feet out of the net for the open net.

You never see Swayman do the same on cross-ice passes.

Reactions: torontoblood

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
What are the options? Think you get him back on another show me contract and make sure he knows he is 1B unless he shows he outplays Woll.
Its unlikely to happen, but if it were me I'd be perfectly fine with letting Woll take the job next year with Hildeby and a vet backup behind him. Kinda hard to believe that he was picked in the same draft as Matthews was so long ago and yet he's now about to be 26 and we've only seen him in a handful of games with the Leafs.

I think you give him his shot and see what happens and give Hildeby at least a few starts as well and see how he does. If you keep bringing in other goalies, we're not going to be able to figure out if either of Woll or Hildeby is the future or not.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Its unlikely to happen, but if it were me I'd be perfectly fine with letting Woll take the job next year with Hildeby and a vet backup behind him. Kinda hard to believe that he was picked in the same draft as Matthews was so long ago and yet he's now about to be 26 and we've only seen him in a handful of games with the Leafs.

I think you give him his shot and see what happens and give Hildeby at least a few starts as well and see how he does. If you keep bringing in other goalies, we're not going to be able to figure out if either of Woll or Hildeby is the future or not.
I am all for giving Woll the spot but he is injury prone. Hillbeast is the 3rd option next year like Jones this year. That’s why I like Sammy to be back but make it clear he is the backup unless he completely outplay Woll.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I still love reading takes that adding toughness and our FA additions is the problem and they stay quiet about our almost 50 million dollar PP unit being like 1/14. Pretty clear what the problem is and it's not the FAs we signed last off season.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I am all for giving Woll the spot but he is injury prone. Hillbeast is the 3rd option next year like Jones this year. That’s why I like Sammy to be back but make it clear he is the backup unless he completely outplay Woll.
I'd still be fine with going with Woll and Hildeby and a vet backup. If Woll gets injured or doesn't look up to it give the job to Hildeby and see how he does. Let the two have the net and see how they do. I just want to see these guys in action and not have another guy blocking their progress. Maybe one or both show they're not ready or maybe one or both rise to the occasion and do show that they're ready. I just want to find out than signing another goalie or bringing Samsonov back.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
After the diabolical performance on the ice followed by the disgusting spectacle of the core guys attacking each other on the bench I think we can safely say that's pretty much that

The lack of accountability and leadership within the team is breathtaking, well lead teams full of guys that take ownership of the situation don't devolve into bickering little kids when adversity hits

No, they knuckle down and instead of attacking there teammates verbally they try to inspire and lead them through there words and actions

They tell Keefe what they want, who there linemmates will be then get onto the ice and change the corse of the game bit by bit until they get momentum and the game swings in there favor

That's what winners do, unfortunately we have whining little bitches instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad