Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
While things didn't work out the way we all hoped it would, it would've been hard to not sign Tavares when he was available and wanted to sign with us. I mean he was a star player in his prime and having Matthews and Tavares down the middle looked pretty damn good on paper.

Also even if the Leafs had money to go out and get a #1 Dman, who was available that actually WANTED to sign with the Leafs? Pietrangelo was probably the most recent one and I don't think he ever had any real desire to sign with us. So who else was available that would want to come and play here even if we had the money to pay them whatever they wanted?

Leafs had assets at that time that could have been used. We had a lot of draft capital and prospects at that time. Johnsson and Kapanen were up and coming and we could have sold high on them.

Patience is a virtue. We should have been patient. I think that is a lesson learned and moving forward we gotta be patient. We need a solid re-tool and we should not rush. We MUST wait out tavares' contract unless he is will to waive and move

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I was blatantly against signing Tavares at the time. I think it was me and @thewave we wanted to invest money in #1D man and we were called out as noobs because dubas the shiny new toy could do no wrong LOL
how the general fans were acting at that time on here is a perfect explanation for why this organization sucks at putting together a winning product and why the fans don't deserve shit. Sorry if it stings. But almost all of you wanted a proper rebuild and then started going insane at the idea of signing any big player who's contract was nearly up. Ofc the organization is going to assess fan sentiment and act accordingly to maximize profit.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
it doesn't matter man.. our sights are already on next year, who cares if he's in or out right now, let him have his summer and party like the rest of them which is what it looks like they all want to do right now anyway
Yea for sure. It was illness, so I stand corrected anyway.

Reactions: TMLife17

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Fire Keefe, hire Joel Quenneville.

Will Gary Butthead let Q come back? I'd love to see the MLSE flex their muscles for a change and tell Butthead to reinstate him.

Fire Shanny.

Yeah no shit eh?

Get a #1 D

That ain't easy, especially with no cap room.

and solve the goalie crisis that has been an issue since Belfour honestly.

Woll ain't the answer, but who else is available in free agency this summer? Yeah we could trade for someone, but easier to predict free agent signings right now.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Guys, there's no guarantee that this management is going to make some major changes in the offseason. What if Marner and JT refuse to waive their NMC?
Also, can you please name one player that just ended up getting stuck in the same city for multiple years where he wasn't wanted? Like he had an NMC and the team wanted to trade him and he just refused to be traded so he just stayed there stinking it up for the rest of the multiple years left on his deal?

No? Not a single one? Okay, carry on then

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
how the general fans were acting at that time on here is a perfect explanation for why this organization sucks at putting together a winning product and why the fans don't deserve shit. Sorry if it stings. But almost all of you wanted a proper rebuild and then started going insane at the idea of signing any big player who's contract was nearly up. Ofc the organization is going to assess fan sentiment and act accordingly to maximize profit.

Yes. Its the fans fault lol.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Be real. It's not a Toronto problem. It's a player problem.

I am being real, we do this every time to one player. It was Phanuef, it was Kessel, it was Gardiner, it was Andersen, it was Kadri, people hated Hyman at one point too, now it’s Marner. One guy is the city’s scape goat when the issues are really deeper than one player. The organization from top to bottom is honestly a joke. From the assessment of players, to how the players are deployed.

Moving Marner is probably a good first step but if you think removing him alone is going to make this team a contender you have another thing coming. It’s bigger than Marner, there are serious organizational flaws that need to be addressed

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think Boston didn't do anything special. They stuck to the basics

- Clear out the zone as soon as puck is in their zone
- Try to keep puck in teh Leafs zone as much as possible
- Win special teams battle
- Keep the Leafs to the outside and clog netural zone forcing Leafs to dump the puck or turnover the puck and boston would send it right into the Leafs zone from teh red line again
- Run out the clock by playing safe hockey and opportunistic offense as Leafs force the play (Keefe's fav system)
The most frustrating part of all this is that Boston isn't really that good of a team. They're well-coached and have elite goalies but that's not a juggernaut in any fashion

We just throw away the game and they know that'll happen so they wait and pounce on our errors

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021
The Dubas stink will be around for many more years thanks to his core and the useless spending of picks past and future.

Shanny is the one that made the deal with the Devil,his turn to be cast out like the horned one was.

I have no blame for our present GM,did okay considering he was handcuffed from the get go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad