Could we get Haula back next year?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This is more speculative since we are not in season yet. It's not a controversial take to say we had our most tumultuous offseason in franchise history, a few good players for the team had to be traded for cap relief.

Now, next season, one of those players is out of contract. Considering that all the Hurricanes had to give up was a prospect in Roy who may be a fourth liner and possibly a fifth rounder, it isn't out of the realm of possibility he doesn't re-sign.

He seemed to love these teammates and city so could we see Haula return as a free agent next season? The cap will go higher. Eakin makes almost 4M and that comes off the books next season. He also occupies that 3C spot Haula could get. I think Smith is a big candidate for a trade after this season with Tuch and possibly Glass looking to be in the top 6 and someone needing to go to make room. The last two years of Pacioretty on his deal are designed to be tradeable.

Reaves could be re-signed and save almost 2M. No one needs a new contract besides Whitecloud. Could it be Haula is merely having a year sabbatical from the team?!

Reactions: Aurinko

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Given the NHLPA's desire to keep escrow under control (especially as excess funds collected are taking up to THREE YEARS to be returned to players), the cap may only increase $2-4m per season (until the new TV deal is negotiated, hopefully with a nice resulting increase in the cap).

That's not a big increase. (Should get preliminary estimated cap $$s in December at BOG meeting.)

That may not be enough $$ to bring Haula back, if he wants to return.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I would think there is a good chance to get Haula back, with a serious discount contract if there is a chance to win the cup.

I refuse to believe he would take a higher pay in a team that isn't a contender.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
We aint no Holla back club.

Seriously though if he's close to the player he was in year 1 he deserves 4-5m, but I wouldn't move out Smith just to bring Erik back. Things can change but I think they'll be after a bigger fish (Kreider) and 1 more young forward (Dugan) will be ready to step in.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We aint no Holla back club.

Seriously though if he's close to the player he was in year 1 he deserves 4-5m, but I wouldn't move out Smith just to bring Erik back. Things can change but I think they'll be after a bigger fish (Kreider) and 1 more young forward (Dugan) will be ready to step in.

It is possible, they probably spend more money on the defense, but we have 2M from Reaves, 3M from Eakin and at least 2-3M from a cap increase to spend.

7-8M in extra money to spend while only Whitecloud would need a raise. Maybe a better defenseman takes up most of that but depending if they don't then Haula could take up the money Gusev would have gotten from us. We already know he is a good player on this team. If he wants 4M, then unless we need to spend a lot more money on a top 4 RD then he could be good depth and allow us to possibly trade Smith for a defenseman if need (Haula would be a free asset and Smith would fetch a good RD).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It is possible, they probably spend more money on the defense, but we have 2M from Reaves, 3M from Eakin and at least 2-3M from a cap increase to spend.

7-8M in extra money to spend while only Whitecloud would need a raise. Maybe a better defenseman takes up most of that but depending if they don't then Haula could take up the money Gusev would have gotten from us. We already know he is a good player on this team. If he wants 4M, then unless we need to spend a lot more money on a top 4 RD then he could be good depth and allow us to possibly trade Smith for a defenseman if need (Haula would be a free asset and Smith would fetch a good RD).

Yes but in 3 years Glass and Hague could ask for a big chunk of change (especially with the RFA situation most teams are facing this summer).

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The trade took him unawares. He had his wedding coming up in a couple of days and and had with his now-wife been fixing up a house they bought from Vegas. Apparently they loved it there. I have no idea if they sold/are selling the house. I think in case of a trade a player gets reimbursed up to six months on the mortgage expenses in the prior town, starting from the moment he signed a lease/mortgage in the new town. That would cover most part of the regular season.

I would say they may have a good chance to sign him in UFA, but he'll possibly want a serious NTC this time.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yes but in 3 years Glass and Hague could ask for a big chunk of change (especially with the RFA situation most teams are facing this summer).

Smith or any RD we get would probably be off the cap when they do, as well as the expected cap ballooning that even the players are expecting, should be enough. We could also trade Pacioretty and Fleury has his deal then.

There are a lot of players we could trade between then also if better players from the ranks become higher for the team.

I think we are well set up to bring another player in next season and Haula could give the team a bit of a discount with no state tax, already lived here and familiarity with the team. He would be joining a competitive team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Really doubt the organization wants him back. Keep it all in context, he was part of a reasonable deal to get expansion draft assets. On a regular expansion team he could be a first or second liner. When they were able to put together what they did by year two he becomes a third liner, at just under $3m you can live with that. Ask for more and you aren't worth as much because the franchise needs the third line for its prospect, so he becomes a Pirri replacement at a much higher price. Plus he centered a line GMGM obviously didn't care for, so could be some of that working against him too.

He's best off playing for a weaker team so he stays top six and puts up numbers.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Smith or any RD we get would probably be off the cap when they do, as well as the expected cap ballooning that even the players are expecting, should be enough. We could also trade Pacioretty and Fleury has his deal then.

There are a lot of players we could trade between then also if better players from the ranks become higher for the team.

I think we are well set up to bring another player in next season and Haula could give the team a bit of a discount with no state tax, already lived here and familiarity with the team. He would be joining a competitive team.

That's true. I like that a lot of that cap currently spent on forwards is being freed up in the next 3 years though. If they're going to commit even more long term I'd rather they wait for a big upgrade at LW rather than bring back Haula to be on the 3rd line.

It all depends on how Pacioretty and Marchessault do next year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That's true. I like that a lot of that cap currently spent on forwards is being freed up in the next 3 years though. If they're going to commit even more long term I'd rather they wait for a big upgrade at LW rather than bring back Haula to be on the 3rd line.

It all depends on how Pacioretty and Marchessault do next year.

They know he can play well on this team and are going for it now. It would depend on how he wants to be paid and if he would be good with a third line role and some PP and PK time and that would depend on how well he does this year.

We could also re-sign Eakin to a similar deal instead if he can have the goals and points he had last year. Stastny would have one year left and we wouldn't necessarily want to throw Krebs in there after that. We could also use Eakin as a way to help Glass and then Krebs to the NHL in the center position. That would also be on Eakin if he would take a contract like the one he has now.

Keeping our depth would also free us up to trade top six players if our other players force their way to those lines and we could address other needs with those trades.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
These are always fan pipe dreams. 99.9% of the time these players never re-unite with their previous team (regardless of them saying they loved the city / loved their teammates / blah blah blah.

If Haula even 70% recovers from his past injury, he out prices himself from this team. He's looking at 4-5 mil per.

If he doesn't, thats a different story, but I think he does. End of topic imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad