Could we do what the Blues did?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
When we came into the NHL St. Louis gave us their affiliate team. Could we do the same thing when Seattle comes in and give them the Wolves and then get our own AHL franchise here? Wouldn't they have to expand, too? Or could Foley purchase an AHL team and move it here and affiliate with it?

I see that other teams have done something similar in the past and am wondering about the prospects of us doing so? With the way this city has embraced the Knights(look at the crowds they pull at practice) I think their farm team would absolutely thrive if it were located here.

Or for logistical reasons is this something that perhaps could be considered further down the road?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank Goodness you’re talking AHL and not other stuff the Blues did when they entered the league (and then not again.) :laugh:

If we’re really getting down to it, that’s not really what happened with the Wolves, but yeah...we could likely end the affiliation with the Wolves if we really wanted to and find someone else or start a new team prior to Seattle doing it. Seattle has said they want to own their AHL affiliate, Foley isn’t as eager to do so (likely since Reno has nowhere for them to really play, if I’m guesssing) so we affiliated with Chicago.

For a long while, teams left the Wolves as quickly as they could because the Wolves team management didn’t like running the team as a development squad, but rather as a competitor to the Blackhawks. If it came down to a decision between giving young, developing players time and coaching for their future or winning every game they could with career AHL dudes on the ice, they’d choose the latter. To the detriment of their NHL affiliate.

Apparently when the Knights came in, McCrimmon or McPhee had a little heart to heart with the powers that be in Chicago and somehow or another got the Wolves on the same page as the VGK management when it comes to Chicago’s purpose in this arrangement. It’s been pretty good so far.

Either way, if VGK decided to own a team or move elsewhere they’d have to break whatever contract they have with the Wolves (which isn’t good to do,) grab Rocky Thompson and whoever else works for us, and move on. Then they wouldn’t have anything else to do with them and the Wolves would affiliate with whoever they can, which would likely be the last team to find an affiliate.

Chicago is a great place for the AHL squad, and as long as VGK people are making the hockey decisions and not owners/accountants whose goal is to sell tickets and make as much money as possible, it can work out.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's useful when you're up against the cap. Send the player to your farm club on off-days, call them up later in the afternoon. No flight necessary.
The Leafs and Jets can do this no problem next season.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Reno or Utah make more sense and help grow the fanbase in those locations. An AHL team in Utah associated with Vegas would certainly do well.

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Thank Goodness you’re talking AHL and not other stuff the Blues did when they entered the league (and then not again.) :laugh:

If we’re really getting down to it, that’s not really what happened with the Wolves, but yeah...we could likely end the affiliation with the Wolves if we really wanted to and find someone else or start a new team prior to Seattle doing it. Seattle has said they want to own their AHL affiliate, Foley isn’t as eager to do so (likely since Reno has nowhere for them to really play, if I’m guesssing) so we affiliated with Chicago.

For a long while, teams left the Wolves as quickly as they could because the Wolves team management didn’t like running the team as a development squad, but rather as a competitor to the Blackhawks. If it came down to a decision between giving young, developing players time and coaching for their future or winning every game they could with career AHL dudes on the ice, they’d choose the latter. To the detriment of their NHL affiliate.

Apparently when the Knights came in, McCrimmon or McPhee had a little heart to heart with the powers that be in Chicago and somehow or another got the Wolves on the same page as the VGK management when it comes to Chicago’s purpose in this arrangement. It’s been pretty good so far.

Either way, if VGK decided to own a team or move elsewhere they’d have to break whatever contract they have with the Wolves (which isn’t good to do,) grab Rocky Thompson and whoever else works for us, and move on. Then they wouldn’t have anything else to do with them and the Wolves would affiliate with whoever they can, which would likely be the last team to find an affiliate.

Chicago is a great place for the AHL squad, and as long as VGK people are making the hockey decisions and not owners/accountants whose goal is to sell tickets and make as much money as possible, it can work out.

This makes sense. Chicago is the only AHL team with its own TV package so I can see how there would have been friction with other teams in the past regarding whose interests were being served.

I guess Nevada is such a sparse, spread out state that it might not make sense for the Knights to have their own team. A team in Reno might as well be a team in a different state. Looks like people in Vegas will be rooting for the Raiders while those in Reno will still cheer for the 49ers.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
This makes sense. Chicago is the only AHL team with its own TV package so I can see how there would have been friction with other teams in the past regarding whose interests were being served.

I guess Nevada is such a sparse, spread out state that it might not make sense for the Knights to have their own team. A team in Reno might as well be a team in a different state. Looks like people in Vegas will be rooting for the Raiders while those in Reno will still cheer for the 49ers.

Reno is a pretty loyal Sharks market, too.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Reno is a pretty loyal Sharks market, too.
That’s just because they haven’t gotten our AHL team yet. :)

Honestly, I expect the Knights to stick with the Wolves for as long as possible, it really is a pretty logistically sound place for an AHL team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHL President Andrews has already said that Seattle will be putting their AHL affiliate in the "Pacific Division" footprint. Palm Springs is apparently on the list (with no facility available).

Some previous discussion:
Seattle/Abbotsford

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
AHL President Andrews has already said that Seattle will be putting their AHL affiliate in the "Pacific Division" footprint. Palm Springs is apparently on the list (with no facility available).

Seattle/Abbotsford

Will those bluehair snowbirds fill an AHL arena if they build it? The atmosphere would be the polar opposite of T-Mobile.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Palm Springs is, like, an hour and change from Ontario where the Kings AHL team plays. I think they have a pretty good hold on the inland empire. Same goes for Bakersfield.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Palm Springs is, like, an hour and change from Ontario where the Kings AHL team plays. I think they have a pretty good hold on the inland empire. Same goes for Bakersfield.
With the way the AHL has developed with NHL teams owning their AHL affiliates (which is required for the west coast teams,) trying to develop a fanbase is kind of secondary to the other things involved in operating the team. Selling tickets is just a way to subsidize running the development program for the NHL teams.

The AHL is still the AHL, but it's not really acting as an independent league that has affiliations with NHL teams as it was in the past. It's turning into a true development league.

All that said, if the ticket sales make enough revenue to pay for the AHL staff, travel, etc. That's great, if it doesn't, it's not a major deal. In the past, the AHL teams themselves acted independently (and some still do for the most part) and NHL teams just "loaned" them players so they'd get high level ice time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Two and change from San Diego.

But realize that the Kings prospects will be coming from El Segundo. That's 2+ hours of travel.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Right now I'm in Marina Del Rey, which is about 6 miles from El Segundo. During peak traffic, it could take that long to get there from HERE!
Okay, LA traffic rant over.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016

Seattle/Abbotsford

Mr. Kim Jong-un approves of this message.

Kim-Jong-un.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad