Olympics: Could USA be the favorite heading into PyeongChang 2018?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
America is one of the teams with a chance to win gold but they won't be the favourites.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
US 'could' potentially be the co-favorite in 2022 if guys like Eichel, Larkin, Matthews, Galchenyuk, Gaudreau, Saad, Jones, Trouba, Hanifin, Gibson, etc. reach their potential but 2018 is definitely too soon, Canada will be the clear favorite in 2018.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Canada will be the favourite for the tournament. However, just like in 1998, a hot goalie in a one game showdown could steal the Gold. So, Canada is the favourite, but USA can still win this.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
:laugh:

You don't think there's a chance they don't go undefeated. Nice.

They went undefeated last year, when Price was having an 'average' year compared to his last season. With him progressing the way he has this year and then next year, he will be unbelievable when the olympics roll around.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
They went undefeated last year, when Price was having an 'average' year compared to his last season. With him progressing the way he has this year and then next year, he will be unbelievable when the olympics roll around.

The best players in the world playing against each other and you can't see a scenario where Canada doesn't lose a single game.... c'mon man.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Nope. Canada is the team to beat, as always. And I really like how Finland and Sweden are looking for 2018 as well.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

During Sochi 2014 he played just as well as he's played the past 2 years. He was tested in 3 games, especially in the USA game, and that might have been one of or the best game he ever played considering what was on the line. The saves he made early on were incredible.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The best players in the world playing against each other and you can't see a scenario where Canada doesn't lose a single game.... c'mon man.

The only game they came close to losing last year was against f***ing Latvia.

It's no secret that despite every nation having their best players on the ice, Canada's best are still far better.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
The only game they came close to losing last year was against f***ing Latvia.

It's no secret that despite every nation having their best players on the ice, Canada's best are still far better.

Canada is living their Golden Generation right now, and that generation will last one more Olympics. The old school mixed with the 2005 World Junior legends and then the new school.

2022 and beyond I expect the game will completely change when the old school and 2005 core are removed and the rest of the World improving with all the elite prospects the other countries are developing.

They have a chance to cement their legacy in 2018 and really don't see anyone being able to stop them.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I would say in 2018 (or now) it's almost impossible that another team would beat Canada in a seven game series. In one game though any team can lose - that's the nature of hockey. Sports with low scoring games are bound to have upsets. Canada's most talented team ever (1976 Canada Cup) lost a game.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I would say in 2018 (or now) it's almost impossible that another team would beat Canada in a seven game series. In one game though any team can lose - that's the nature of hockey. Sports with low scoring games are bound to have upsets. Canada's most talented team ever (1976 Canada Cup) lost a game.

Well technically it's impossible that any team Ia guaranteed to go undefeated if you look at it that way, one off game by the defence or goaltender can result in a loss. But I mean I paper there's almost no chance they lose a game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well technically it's impossible that any team Ia guaranteed to go undefeated if you look at it that way, one off game by the defence or goaltender can result in a loss. But I mean I paper there's almost no chance they lose a game.

Yeah on paper Canada has the best team, like always. In a one game elimination tournament though I give Canada around a 50% chance of winning. There are too many variables.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anything can happen in single game elimination.

I think the US is on that list of teams that can produce an upset.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Anything can happen in single game elimination.

I think the US is on that list of teams that can produce an upset.

For sure. Anyone saying that Canada can't lose are homers. They will be favorites but it only takes 1 great goaltending performance to win a game. Or a bad game by our goalie. Or some bad penalties.

Favorites to win? Yes. Guaranteed to win? No.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

Canada is the favorite, sure, but I don't think one can reliably project a goaltender's expected performance [27 months] in the future.

Last edited:

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Canada barely beat the USA the last 2 times. Add Eichel, Mathews and Larkin at center and that drastically improves the US's chance of beating Canada or Sweden.

lol now that's sound logic.

Habs barely beat the Leafs a few weeks ago so I guess that means the Leafs are almost as good as the Habs. Heck the Habs beat the Blues 3-0 last night so that means the Leafs are better then the Blues. Right? I see how this works.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
at this point, the favourite is Russia

The % for Canada and the US at least has to be cut in half due to the uncertainty about NHL participation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad