Could this be HFNHL Flames Rafalski's last game?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
New reports out of Calgary indicate that 37 year old Brian Rafalski is set to retire - and if the Flames lose today to the Detroit Red Wings, then today could be the defensemans last game in the HFNHL. Rafalski has been a stalwart on the back end for the Flames and one of the few players who has played well for the entire playoffs. He leads the team with an average of 31 minutes of ice time per game and is plus two with four points.

If Rafalski does retire, he'll have played 189 regular season games for the Flames, scoring 80 points. Rafalski has 12 playoff points in 27 playoff games for the Flames. Rafalski came to the Flames in the 2008/09 season in a deal with the Ducks that saw Paul Martin, Michal Repik and a 2nd round pick (Ryan O'Reilly) go in the other direction.

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Since I'm somewhat out of touch, this was the first whiff I caught of the Rafalski news. As a huge fan of Rafalski's - and the guy that traded him to you - I have to say I'm shocked.

For my money, Rafalski was the best defenseman on any team at the Vancouver Olympics, and after putting up 48 points in 63 games, anyone would be hard-pressed to call him finished. That said, if his heart's not in it anymore, you have to respect the guy leaving the final year of his $6M contract on the table.

For what it's worth, even if Rafalski goes through with retiring, I think the trade's a push for me, at best. Martin's a top-four guy, Repik may one day turn into a second-line scoring option, and O'Reilly was a stroke of luck. But if I had Rafalski this season, I'm in the playoffs - end of story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad