Speculation: Could this be a surprise year?

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
the worst thing that could happen is we finish two spots lower

I'd take that this year. Get us Eichel or McDavid. Would mean Eakins gets the boot as well and maybe even guys like MacT and Lowe.

Worst thing that could happen is we finish 23-25 in the standings. Don't get any of the top 4-5 "impact" guys supposedly in the next draft, and our team shows enough "improvement" that MacT brings back Eakins for another season... that would be worse then dropping 2 spots

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'd take that this year. Get us Eichel or McDavid. Would mean Eakins gets the boot as well and maybe even guys like MacT and Lowe.

Worst thing that could happen is we finish 23-25 in the standings. Don't get any of the top 4-5 "impact" guys supposedly in the next draft, and our team shows enough "improvement" that MacT brings back Eakins for another season... that would be worse then dropping 2 spots
I don't see why losing MacT is a good thing, our team is completely different from when he started, had brought in a bunch of good support staff and isn't doing an awful job

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

If this team is falling bad enough to finish last place, again, and MacT sits and watches it happen.... I might be done. That could very well be that last straw for me. I want no part of finishing in any of the bottom 5 positions. Then the pick is deemed 'too valuable' to trade.

They have to finish at least 22nd, which would be an improvement and the pick is now deemed tradeable. Best case scenario is they trade their 1st pick for immediate help to make a push for the playoffs. You know, try and win in the here and now (what a concept) for the first time in half a decade.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Hope springs eternal. I placed my annual bet that the Oilers would make the playoffs. :speechles One year, I will win that bet, might as well be this year!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well, they've got an associate coach that has a long-standing, proven record as being good with defensemen, defensive systems, and teaching. So, if they are still looking like a cluster----, then we can say, definitively, that Eakins IS the problem and MUST go.

Eakins, for all his weaknesses last year, at least seems open to listening to Ramsey. The heepin, helpin of humble pie, appears at least, to have had an impact on the guy.

Its a weird set up, really. Ramsey is the wise old veteran with the experience and brains and Eakins is the apprentice. But Eakins will face the media and take the heat. It could work.

Reasonable take. At least it allows me to ponder and hope for that. Really I think the best option is for the org to realize that Ramsay is in essence the headcoach making the schemes and Eakins is the bench figurehead tossing his hair and doing duck impressions.

Heres an interesting thing. Edmonton media used to lobbing softballs aren't always doing that with Eakins. After Eakins talking at length about necessary improvements, what the team needs to learn, what he's interested in doing differently the quick fire question has been "What have you learned from last season Dallas Eakins"

"oh, not to talk too much"

Eakins also playing the quoted out of context and media twisting things context. Funny thing is Eakins as far as I can see it isn't making friends with media aside from giving them lots of content. if your're a wag you love Eakins for the quotes. He makes print easy to do. But you don't necessarily love what he says.

My sense as well is most of the media that have been around here for awhile question Eakins coaching acumen about as much as anybody here does. My sense is that if things go sideways we're looking at dead man walking in a hurry.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
If this team is falling bad enough to finish last place, again, and MacT sits and watches it happen.... I might be done. That could very well be that last straw for me. I want no part of finishing in any of the bottom 5 positions. Then the pick is deemed 'too valuable' to trade.

They have to finish at least 22nd, which would be an improvement and the pick is now deemed tradeable. Best case scenario is they trade their 1st pick for immediate help to make a push for the playoffs. You know, try and win in the here and now (what a concept) for the first time in half a decade.

didn't you say that before? Like last year?Pretty sure you did.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Reasonable take. At least it allows me to ponder and hope for that. Really I think the best option is for the org to realize that Ramsay is in essence the headcoach making the schemes and Eakins is the bench figurehead tossing his hair and doing duck impressions.

Heres an interesting thing. Edmonton media used to lobbing softballs aren't always doing that with Eakins. After Eakins talking at length about necessary improvements, what the team needs to learn, what he's interested in doing differently the quick fire question has been "What have you learned from last season Dallas Eakins"

"oh, not to talk too much"

Eakins also playing the quoted out of context and media twisting things context. Funny thing is Eakins as far as I can see it isn't making friends with media aside from giving them lots of content. if your're a wag you love Eakins for the quotes. He makes print easy to do. But you don't necessarily love what he says.

My sense as well is most of the media that have been around here for awhile question Eakins coaching acumen about as much as anybody here does. My sense is that if things go sideways we're looking at dead man walking in a hurry.

Oh fosho. He isn't going to fool guys like Jonesy and Matty. Anyone with eyes could see he was in over his head last year.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but, he's basically starting from sqare one. Last was an initiation. After last year, he's damn lucky he even gets a second chance, because I don't think it's ever happen before (an NHL coach failing to such a degree and not getting fired).

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
didn't you say that before? Like last year?Pretty sure you did.

probably did. I probably added: 'could be'. I usually give myself a little out. (and if I don't, I forgot to type it);)

Hey, I'd probably be back, but only cause I'm a sucker for punishment (aren't we all?)

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
You're right. When I'm given a reason to be optimistic, I am. You're forgetting that the Oilers didn't just start last year poorly. They were a bad team for every component part of the season.

Out with Smyth, Gagner, Belov, Larsen. In with Purcell, Pouliot, Fayne, Nikitin (and whatever rookies). Are they improved? Sure. They are still significantly worse than LA, Chicago, Anaheim, St. Louis, Dallas, Minnesota and SJ.

Colorado and Vancouver are a smaller but still significant level above them.

And the rest are kind of a "pick 'em" for me, but I certainly don't think they've become definitively better than any of them except maybe Calgary.

So yeah, if all goes right and lots of things go wrong for a few other teams, they might, maybe squeak into 8th. But even if lots goes right for them, I think 10th place is about as realistic as one could reasonably expect.

Not pessimism, well-reasoned and long-considered realism. I wish I could share that with more fellow Oilers fans.

These are good teams to be sure. When this team BECOMES a team rather than just a sum of its parts we will be there. The parts are almost all there now. Almost.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Are you for real?

I'm sorry did my question seem out of line? Your name, the line under it and the picture sure looks like someone to me who is trying to get some attention instead of here being a fan and discussing his team. But whatever bro, free interweb. Enjoy your pessimism.

You forgot to add a bag on your head.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I'm sorry did my question seem out of line? Your name, the line under it and the picture sure looks like someone to me who is trying to get some attention instead of here being a fan and discussing his team. But whatever bro, free interweb. Enjoy your pessimism.

You forgot to add a bag on your head.
Whatever my original name was Oil tank job 4 /93 /64 I Changed it at 20 game mark last year in disgust , I was a lollipop and rainbow sucker like you before that. I also put this avatar pic yes to get the attention of the players that lurk in here to remind them of the years of disgrace. I also have stated when they have a winning record after 20 games into a season I will remove it. And I can assure you I probably have been a Oiler fan before you were born . And you forgot to put a rainbow above your head.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I think the Oilers will improve but we're still a long shot from making the playoffs. As long as we're competing for the playoffs and not the lottery, I'll be happy.

If the Oilers continue to be a lottery team, I can see Hall being fed up and demanding a trade. Not saying its gonna happen but that's a possibility. The Oilers have to get better or it's gonna get ugly.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A career year for Hall.
A healthy RNH lives up to expectations.
Yak finally "gets it" works hard, Scores a lot of goals.
Draisatl ends up being the number 2 center we needed.
Get good goaltending, competition for #1 in net.
Defence is NHL worthy, kids push the Vets for spots.
Addition of Ramsey helps D, PP.
Eberle and Perron keep on keeping on.
Big size additions help out.
Fitness reduces injuries.

No predictions, but things are definately lining up better than years past.

There is definitely a chance. I hope that it all finally falls into place and that we make the postseason, I just wouldn't bet on it.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Whatever my original name was Oil tank job 4 /93 /64 I Changed it at 20 game mark last year in disgust , I was a lollipop and rainbow sucker like you before that. I also put this avatar pic yes to get the attention of the players that lurk in here to remind them of the years of disgrace. I also have stated when they have a winning record after 20 games into a season I will remove it. And I can assure you I probably have been a Oiler fan before you were born . And you forgot to put a rainbow above your head.

All the way back to March 2013? Wow you've been here a while...
6089 posts in a year and a half, thats at least 10 posts a day of your wisdom for us. I bet with a little effort you could get that up to 20 posts a day and maybe get in the HF hall of fame.
Threatening the team and the boards with avatars is sure to bring results. I like your style.:shakehead

Last edited:

Gambl0r83*

6089 posts in a year and a half, thats at least 10 posts a day of your wisdom for us. I bet with a little effort you could get that up to 20 posts a day and maybe get in the HF hall of fame.
Threatening the team and the boards with avatars is sure to bring results. I like your style.:shakehead

This goes for alot posters here. I noticed that the Oilers board are dominated by middle aged people who dwell in these topics carrying a big stinkin backpack of negativity with them everyday

Such a shame these topics are getting influenced by the same pessimistic people over and over again with the same ol' wahhhh oilers suck marching anthem

The thing that will irritate me the most, is when the Oilers start winning these same people will wear the logo chin up and call themselves fans :laugh:. Too funny

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This goes for alot posters here. I noticed that the Oilers board are dominated by middle aged people who dwell in these topics carrying a big stinkin backpack of negativity with them everyday

Such a shame these topics are getting influenced by the same pessimistic people over and over again with the same ol' wahhhh oilers suck marching anthem

The thing that will irritate me the most, is when the Oilers start winning these same people will wear the logo chin up and call themselves fans :laugh:. Too funny

being a fan does not require one to be a positive, blind, bleeting sheep, hack. The truth is the truth, turning one's back on reality and believing in make believe is not a badge of honour.

We middle agers are frustratrated because we've seen how a good sports organization is run, and it in no way resembles how the Oilers are run. They are the worst run team in sports. That is depressing. Kevin Lowe is the worst hockey exec in the league, an all he gets is promoted. That's depressing.

3 first overall picks, 7 top 10 picks, yet the team gets worse. Sorry, but I'm negative and depressed and I have very good reason to be. I'm not going to pretend things are rosie just so you won't call me negative. I don't need a 'die hard' badge to call myself a fan. i am not a diehard anymore.

If this organization won't improve itself, I will eventually move on. And when they are finally good someday in far off future, (when Keegan Lowe is the coach, Dillon Simpson the assistant, and Tristan Gretzky is the manager) I'll might come back. That's called bandwagon fan. Pay attention when it is entertaining, do something else when it isn't. Sports are more enjoyable that way, and I thank KLowe and co. for showing me the light.

Enjoy your 'diehard' badge.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Out of curiosity several of us would like to know. What former poster here were you?

Whole lot of chip on a shoulder and frustration being expressed for someone posting here one month.

"diehard" lol

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
What does post count have to do with anything , and who am I threatening that does not even makes sense:help: I think you should look up the difference between making a statement and threatening . And hey don't tell me you have no time with your impressive low post count without trying to bait all deep hockey talk like you responded to my post with.:laugh:

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Everybody has a right to complain, especially with the maddenning management we are putting up with. just trying to spin one thread positive is all. Oh and I'm middle aged too.:p:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Oiler koolaid drinkers, and Oiler pessimists fighting each other, another "Oilers in the playoffs? haha nope!" bash thread on the main boards....Yup, hockey season is back.

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Oiler koolaid drinkers, and Oiler pessimists fighting each other, another "Oilers in the playoffs? haha nope!" bash thread on the main boards....Yup, hockey season is back.

You know your on the Oilers boards when you're called a koolaid drinker for asking for input on whether this year could be an advancement. We'll put you in the pessimist pile.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
You know your on the Oilers boards when you're called a koolaid drinker for asking for input on whether this year could be an advancement. We'll put you in the pessimist pile.

That was meant more for Gambl0r, but since you mentioned it, talking about the baghead movement with derision kinda gives your stance away, but okay. While we're at it, you jumped down a poster's throat, and attacked his join date, post count, avatar and blurb underneath. Get all pissy with me if you want, but you're not exactly doing yourself any favours here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad