Could Things Finally Start to Go Our Way?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, they definitely need to be the right players. And I definitely agree that this management group is not the one to identify this team. And I of course agree that long term adding a McDavid or Eichel would be huge for this organization. My point was just that they wont right the ship on their own. Not even a little bit.

As for the Islanders... they had already made the playoffs and then missed the following year when Tavares went down to a year ending injury (although they were bad that before he went down) and you forgot that they brought in Halak as well who is a legit starting goaltender. So not only were they further along than the Oilers were, they also have had much more successful key acquisitions.

Yes I did leave out Halak. I always liked Halak though he has been so up and down over the last few years that I guess I wonder if he is really that much better than what the Oilers have given an equally inept team defense in front of him. Other than the top guys and the worst ones over time goalies tend to reflect what the team looks like around them.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The islanders sure don't look like a legit contender. Is this what passes for contenders in the EC?

We got a lot of work here to be competitive in the WC. The trouble with the comparison is basically any team improvement is significant in the weak kneed east. In the West if you're not fullscale loaded theres no entry to the playoff ball.
The NYI didn't have a great game against us thats for sure. But their D is tremendously better than ours and backed by Halak who is a legit starting goaltender. Their forwards are a weird mishmash of players highlighted by Johnny T. but on most nights they score just enough to win. On the Oil, our forwards are good enough to compete but the D and goaltending are not nearly good enough. Unfortunately the Oilers will have a tough time finding the help they need. They need a decent draft (McDavid or Eichel would certainly help) and buyout Nikitin and trade/sign a couple good defenders. How we upgrade the goaltenders is beyond me, not a lot of help out there. It might be time to start packaging prospects and picks for legit NHLers…and like it has already been mentioned it has to be the right NHLers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm fairly optimistic about the team, especially lately since Nelson took over. The only issue is time. I don't want to wait 3 years for playoff hockey but that might be what we're looking at here.

The draft pick isn't going to speed that up a lot. McDavid, Eichel or Hanifin will maybe make our eventual ceiling higher but won't carry the team right out of junior. A big trade or some good UFA additions would speed things up for sure. It would be pretty amazing to get Boychuck

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I truly believe even if we legitimately won the lottery the NHL would just give it to another team and pretend we didn't win.

I don't blame them either.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
The plan seems to be lose Petry for magic beans and replace him with Nurse.

That tells you right here everything you need to know about hope for next year.

This.

I agree. This upcoming draft will bring us the final pieces we need to turn the corner. Once some of these picks develop in 4 or 5 years we should be well on our way. The 2018-19 or 19-20 seasons should see us close to a playoff spot. We just have a few years of Oilers wasteland to get through and we're there!

This is their plan, but not guaranteed to work.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A lot of responses so instead of quoting everyone I'll post some rebuttals without quotes.

1) We likely won't get McDavid.
That is true, we have better odds of not getting him than getting him. However if we land any of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Crouse, or really any of this years top 5 guys we'd be in a better spot going forward. Then we also have Pitts 1st and a low 2nd at the very least in what is supposed to be the best draft since '03. We are bound to get a good player or 2 out of that and with good scouting we could clean up at the draft table for a change which will help us both next season and beyond. Perhaps we trade down if we aren't in the top 3 and land a guy like Crouse and another solid prospect.

2) Rookies won't help this team.
A McDavid or Eichel surely would, they are both better players than any of our recent rookies. As would a seasoned Nurse and possibly a quicker and better Draisaitl. Yes we need veteran support but if Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak and Schultz get their games in order they will all provide a lot better support than what they got when they entered the league. We may not see the Pitt pick or our 2nd round pick in the NHL for 2-3 years but if we can draft quality players there that could really help our team at that point.

3) We won't win with this management.
Yes they suck and we all know it. However with better drafting starting this season and some added cap space with the cap not going up as much as initially projected we could be in a better position than we are now. Ideally these guys get the axe and someone more qualified oversees the personnel in management, scouting and on the ice.

I am not saying that all is well in the world and stuff could continue going sideways until we go off a cliff, keeping management and making a bad 1st pick this year could ensure than path. But with a little luck, better scouting and new management we could be onto something.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The NYI didn't have a great game against us thats for sure. But their D is tremendously better than ours and backed by Halak who is a legit starting goaltender. Their forwards are a weird mishmash of players highlighted by Johnny T. but on most nights they score just enough to win. On the Oil, our forwards are good enough to compete but the D and goaltending are not nearly good enough. Unfortunately the Oilers will have a tough time finding the help they need. They need a decent draft (McDavid or Eichel would certainly help) and buyout Nikitin and trade/sign a couple good defenders. How we upgrade the goaltenders is beyond me, not a lot of help out there. It might be time to start packaging prospects and picks for legit NHLers…and like it has already been mentioned it has to be the right NHLers.

Halak was awful against us as well. Porous. Really about the worst goaltending performance we've faced this year.

I tend to not watch the Islanders too much. Plus that its not easy to as no major carrier has them on.

Islanders and Florida probably have the least network exposure of any teams in the league.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nelson is improving the club, yes, and by a considerable amount. The problem is that the baseline, where this club was at, was so abjectly horrible due to Eakins that its a considerable climb even to become a .500 team.

If we're in the EC I would say we could make the playoffs next year. But in the WC as I stated teams have to have a packed solid lineup and multiple players that are absolute ringers to make the playoffs. Teams that make playoffs in WC have better goaltending, better D, and at least 3 forwards that are playing better than any of ours are.

As it is teams as good as Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, are all going to miss the playoffs. They would all make the playoffs in the EC.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As it is teams as good as Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, are all going to miss the playoffs. They would all make the playoffs in the EC.

I agree the West is tougher... but I don't see all of Calgary/Winnipeg/Vancouver missing.

They are all above average in goals differential and Vancouver and Calgary both have winning records vs the Western teams.

My bet is 2 out of the 3 make it... but I agree... they'd probably all make the show in the East. Of course if the East would then have 19 teams it would make it pretty crowded over there. :)

That would be the only way for the Oilers to move up 3 spots to 11th though. Keep moving teams out of the West until there are only 8 teams left and the Oilers finally have an outside shot at squeaking in. :)

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Tough to say, I like what you're selling, but it just doesn't feel like we'll be in the right spot to land that true elite talent in center.

I agree that we have some guys coming along, but it still seems at least 3-4 years away in development.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So we are back to moving actual NHLers in hopes of more prospects making an impact next year?

Hendricks and Gordon should only be moved if they are asking to be moved.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
This season is lost and we could land an elite player in the 1st round of the draft. If it's McDavid he could be just what the Yak ordered. If he couldn't get Yakupov going no one outside of Crosby or Malkin could. If he does it's like adding two 1st overall talents in one season which would be huge.

We are sellers, already landing a 1st for Perron. Potentially adding another 1st or 2nd for Petry and another 2nd for Gordon or Hendricks if we decide to deal one of them. This has been said to be the best draft in many years so if there is a draft to stockpile picks in it is this one.

Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse could make big pushes to make the team next season along with our top couple of picks.

Todd Nelson if he's retained seems to be much more well liked than his predecessor and seems to be having the guys play hard and not fold like cheap tents like they did under Eakins and MacT in his short time behind the bench.

This may just be a bunch of wishful thinking but things may finally be aligning for this team to get of of the gutter in the near future. Now if only we could get a new GM and POHO in here.....

yes cause trading away NHL players and bringing in rookies has done wonders up to this point

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
This is their plan, but not guaranteed to work.

Really? Wow if that's the best plan they could come up with we're screwed. :laugh:

One or two years where we compete for a playoff spot, and I dont even think there's a high chance of getting in either of those years, and then back to the bottom. Not very optimistic.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
I agree with BryanBryOil.

Although the team has a very poor record, it's never looked so ready to turn the corner.

1. The goalies have been bad. And when they've played OK, other things have happened to create losses. If goaltending is elite, add 6 - 8 wins at this point.

2. The defense has gone from dysfunctional to stable over the last two months. Klefbom is emerging and Jultz's role is being re-addressed. If Petry can be upgraded add 2 -4 more wins.

3. You can shelter one weak C, but not two. Add in Roy at the start of the season and we maybe have 2 more wins. Add in another vet (Goc, Ribeiro) and its another 2 wins.

4. The wings are fine. OK depth, good top end talent.

We are into the tweaking phase. Hall / Nuge / Ebs have established their identity at the NHL level. The identity is a skill line that wants to beat you with passing and finesse. Now the rest of the team has to balance that out so that teams are forced to defend different styles of attack (heavy, cycle, pp). MacT is furiously auditioning these guys.

TL:DR - Add an elite goalie and upgrade Petry. Add a depth C and we are in business next season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So we are back to moving actual NHLers in hopes of more prospects making an impact next year?

Hendricks and Gordon should only be moved if they are asking to be moved.

I agree, however we can't say whether they've asked out or not. I'm sure that they hate the losing though. If they want out and we can get exceptional value for them (2nd round picks in a supposedly great draft or NHL ready prospects that'd crack our team) then you deal them and make a big push in UFA or via trade in the summer.

yes cause trading away NHL players and bringing in rookies has done wonders up to this point

Petry has one foot out the door, he wanted a multi year deal and was instead given a 1 year deal, the day that ink was put to paper on a one year deal his days here became limited. Perron had 1.5 years left here and was clearly unhappy here with the teams direction and his performance took a dip. Gordon and Hendricks are the two guys that I'd try to keep around because they set a great example out there, they work hard, they don't ***** and moan, and they give it their all every shift. That said if a team comes calling for them and offers something significant IMO you have to listen. In all likelihood like Perron neither guy will re-sign here so we have them for another year. Their value is likely at their highest to us as trade assets right now. Either deal them or hold onto them and watch them as UFA's, I'm fine with either scenario.

Ference is a guy that I would deal before Gordon and Hendricks if he waives his NMC.

Hypothetically by the deadline we walk away with a 2nd and solid prospect for Petry, a 2nd for Gordon, a 2nd for Hendricks and a 2nd for Ference. Suddenly we have 5 2nd round picks and a pair of 1st round picks in a great draft. There's nothing stopping us from using 3-4 picks to land good players in package deals at the draft. Marincin + 2nd should get you a good player, 2-2nd's should get you a good player, etc. We will have a **** ton of cap space if we make these moves and if we have competent management making signings and trades then we will be in a better spot. And if we hold onto every one of those picks then even our current scouting staff should get a few 2nd rounders right. Ideally we have new management and a new head scout by the draft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree, however we can't say whether they've asked out or not. I'm sure that they hate the losing though. If they want out and we can get exceptional value for them (2nd round picks in a supposedly great draft or NHL ready prospects that'd crack our team) then you deal them and make a big push in UFA or via trade in the summer.

I just don't see us getting that value. Hendricks was offered up across the league and ended up getting dealt for a dump.

Goc was dealt last year for a 3rd and a 5th, that's about as good as it's going to get for Gordon.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree the West is tougher... but I don't see all of Calgary/Winnipeg/Vancouver missing.

They are all above average in goals differential and Vancouver and Calgary both have winning records vs the Western teams.

My bet is 2 out of the 3 make it... but I agree... they'd probably all make the show in the East. Of course if the East would then have 19 teams it would make it pretty crowded over there. :)

That would be the only way for the Oilers to move up 3 spots to 11th though. Keep moving teams out of the West until there are only 8 teams left and the Oilers finally have an outside shot at squeaking in. :)
The only one that could make the playoffs imo is Vancouver. Winnipeg and Calgary often start out hot and are gradually falling back down to Earth. I don't think theres any way for instance that Winnipeg is going to be in the playoffs and LA out of it. jets are just hanging on right now and just got undone again last night in a convincing spanking by the woeful Arizona Coyotes.

Calgary has been taking it on the chin for the most part since early December. Their thud has already occurred and will continue.

Dallas finally has their **** in serious gear and look to be climbing. Avs are playing better as well. I had Wild pegged as possible playoff team but they got some work to do.

As usual there will be INTENSE pressure for playoff spots and really with around 12 teams in running for 8 spots.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I have already accepted we wont' get McDavid. Even if we finish dead last that is only a 20% chance. I am still optimistic though, Nurse and Drai are going to be big peices and we will add another great player this year. I think in some ways this team needed to hit rock bottom. The big thing in many ways is we thought we were further ahead in the rebuild when we got Schultz and Yaks, but they have been pretty much busts. So we just needed another bad year to put this back on course.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I have already accepted we wont' get McDavid. Even if we finish dead last that is only a 20% chance. I am still optimistic though, Nurse and Drai are going to be big peices and we will add another great player this year. I think in some ways this team needed to hit rock bottom. The big thing in many ways is we thought we were further ahead in the rebuild when we got Schultz and Yaks, but they have been pretty much busts. So we just needed another bad year to put this back on course.

KLowe, is that you?

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011

Petry has one foot out the door, he wanted a multi year deal and was instead given a 1 year deal, the day that ink was put to paper on a one year deal his days here became limited. Perron had 1.5 years left here and was clearly unhappy here with the teams direction and his performance took a dip. Gordon and Hendricks are the two guys that I'd try to keep around because they set a great example out there, they work hard, they don't ***** and moan, and they give it their all every shift. That said if a team comes calling for them and offers something significant IMO you have to listen. In all likelihood like Perron neither guy will re-sign here so we have them for another year. Their value is likely at their highest to us as trade assets right now. Either deal them or hold onto them and watch them as UFA's, I'm fine with either scenario.

Ference is a guy that I would deal before Gordon and Hendricks if he waives his NMC.

Hypothetically by the deadline we walk away with a 2nd and solid prospect for Petry, a 2nd for Gordon, a 2nd for Hendricks and a 2nd for Ference. Suddenly we have 5 2nd round picks and a pair of 1st round picks in a great draft. There's nothing stopping us from using 3-4 picks to land good players in package deals at the draft. Marincin + 2nd should get you a good player, 2-2nd's should get you a good player, etc. We will have a **** ton of cap space if we make these moves and if we have competent management making signings and trades then we will be in a better spot. And if we hold onto every one of those picks then even our current scouting staff should get a few 2nd rounders right. Ideally we have new management and a new head scout by the draft.

you're assuming management will make those capable moves. whats more likely to happen is we plug in nurse, drai and new pick(s) and continue to believe youth is the way to go while all the time stinking up the ice

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Would it be the ultimate failure for the Oilers to turn it around in the second half, start playing together as a team, Yak to start scoring and finish 20-22 in the league?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Would it be the ultimate failure for the Oilers to turn it around in the second half, start playing together as a team, Yak to start scoring and finish 20-22 in the league?

No it wouldn't.

Its also nearly impossible... you're talking about a .300 hockey team paying .700 hockey.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
1. Babcock
2. Boychuk
3. NHL center
4. McEichel

0-1/4 No or little help. No big improvement.

2/4 Clear improvement, but no playoffs in WC

3/4 playoff contenders

4/4 playoffs

#dream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad