Could the XFL and USFL have a AFL-NFL style rivalry and later merger?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The USFL will begin play this spring, and the XFL is set to return next year.

Providing both leagues have significant franchise stability, could the two leagues eventually merge in order to create a strong spring football league that has popularity rivaling the NFL, but not playing at the same time?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Step 1: One league (preferably 2) would have to make it to year 1, nevermind complete year 1

Step 2: The USFL will also need to make it out of the hub city model which I understand it's to be completed by year 3. Which would be the XFL's year 2

Step 3 and beyond they play at different times of the year. USFL April through early July while the XFL will do Mid-February through early May so there wouldn't be much of direct rivalry in terms of fan attention.

I see the new USFL similar as the AAF both trying to get infront of the respective version of the XFL. USFL backed by Fox is doing the hub city to keep it's start up costs low so they don't implode in their only season

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The USFL will begin play this spring, and the XFL is set to return next year.

Providing both leagues have significant franchise stability, could the two leagues eventually merge in order to create a strong spring football league that has popularity rivaling the NFL, but not playing at the same time?

You‘ve already answered your own question.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I'll worry about this when the day comes that a spring football league actually plays for more than a couple of years. Every single spring league has failed. Despite the claims that people would want a football league at that time of the year, there is zero evidence that the supposed market for such a league actually exists, and the repeated failures of all such leagues over the decades is all the evidence that such claims of untapped market are bunk. The entire concept is fatally flawed. Like the old saying goes, repeating the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad