Could the Shift get das Banhammer

Should defenses shifts be removed from the game

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Baseball has grown into one of my favorite sports, but I hate the old man mentality. Can't celebrate or show personality, must play proper positions... God forbid the players and management adapt to the game.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's being deployed at much much higher rates. Not saying I agree with banning it, but that's why it's come up.

and the shifts have become far more extreme. "shifting" used to be the SS plays behind 2nd.

its become the SS and 2B are on the right side of the infield and the 3B is behind 2nd.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
banning the shift would do almost nothing. it might mean a handful more hits per season. whoopie.

if they were serious about fixing their current three true outcome problems, they'd realize that they're going to have to adjust either the height of the mound or move it back. velocity has changed the game beyond the "learn to bunt" nonsense. baseball players know how to bunt. they don't want to bunt off the 6th inning guy who throws 101 and has a slider that tops out at 94 on a good day. or the 7th inning guy who can hit 102.

velocity has made the hitters look at turning using the velocity against the pitcher and thus, launch angle.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler
Oct 18, 2011
Hopefully it does. Baseball has been alot more boring with Its increased use. The game needs more action and baserunners. It's turned into a strikeouts or homerun game

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Personally I'd lower it but I guess moving it back could make sense in that it would help with combacker injuries as well. I wonder with moving it back how much more stress that would add to a pitcher's arm though.

This is an excellent point. I would assume a gradual change would need to occur. Like, start with a foot to see the impact.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Alcohol kills brain cells.

cliff-clavin-on-beer-reprint-of-a-classic-diatribe-from-chee-demotivational-poster.jpg

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Sure ban the shift. Then make outfielders play shallow against power hitters so there'll be less fly balls caught at the warning track. Stop allowing managers to bring in lefties to face left handed batters. That is so not fair. Some of these closers throw too hard. Let's make a speed limit on pitches. There'd probably be more base hits if we move first base in 30 feet. There's so many things that can be done to make baseball great again

Reactions: KapG

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sure ban the shift. Then make outfielders play shallow against power hitters so there'll be less fly balls caught at the warning track. Stop allowing managers to bring in lefties to face left handed batters. That is so not fair. Some of these closers throw too hard. Let's make a speed limit on pitches. There'd probably be more base hits if we move first base in 30 feet. There's so many things that can be done to make baseball great again

swing and a miss on the strawman rant.

you are clearly ignorant on the reason for complaints about how the shift is used currently

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

you are clearly ignorant on the reason for complaints about how the shift is used currently

Don't know what that means but ok.

My point is, the day they start telling players where they have to stand in the field is the day the game changes for the worse

darko

Feb 16, 2009

The only people complaining are the ball players who saw their batting average dip just above Mendoza line. And their agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad